any opinion about Dr. Mark Boles of Nu-Hart clinic?

harry101

Hi there,

I would like to hear the experience or comments from someone who has considered/undergone hair transplantation surgery by Dr. Mark Boles of NuHart clinic.

Moreover, if a doctor does 2000 grafts on you, is there a way to verify that the said number of grafts were transplanted?

Thanks a lot for your input.

Hey Harry,

I went under his knife over 18 months ago, my first HT out of 3. Both doctors couldn't tell my natural hair from the ones Dr Boles did. BUT ----- Boles did 2 things that I'm not happy with, and both doctors since have commented on.

1 - On the back of your head, some areas for donor have better hair quality to transpant than other areas. According to my 2 HT surgeon's since then, they felt Dr Boles cut me in an area that had less quality than what they took.

2 - Dr Boles told me my scar would be tiny, like the line along his palm, but he was wrong. My scar's not hideously large, but both HT doctors have both commented that it's bigger than it should be. I'm not happy about that, but for now since I don't plan on shaving my head, what's a guy to do.

I will add one other comment -- in one area, he averaged about 5 grafts per sq/cm which almost seemed like a waste of my time. Having gone to a doctor not listed on this forum and not getting the best result, I've since used 2 docs from this site and had excellent experience. Stick with a doc mentioned on this site. icon_smile.gif

Harry,

Don't go with Nu-hart. You will most likely regret it. I don't know about that particular doc, but if you search for Nu-hart on this site you will find numerous threads by unsatisfied patients. Trust me, you don't want the agony of a half-assed HT. If you've scheduled an appointment, cancel it. And then do loads of research on this site.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Just stay away from hair mills (Nu-hart, Bosley, MHI, Men's Hair Club) in general. They are the fast food versions of HT.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Honestly, I think the "hair mills" is really a luck of the draw. Some of those companys will sign on doctors and train them. I think some can do the job fine, but you gamble as to what kind of work you get --- so like Aaron says, avoid them and (like i've read on/off this site for 18 months now) choose a doc from this site. You can't go wrong.

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

I am new to this site. I have been referred to Nuhart Clinic, I have a consultation with Dr Boles next week for HT. I have had a brief look through the site and reviews are bad. I am now very worried :-(

Would anyone pls be able to tell me what specifically is bad about Nuhart? And can anyone recommend a HT surgeon or clinic based here in the UK.

Many Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Patsy679:

I can speak first hand about Dr. Boles work. He did 1500 grafts for me in the Atlanta office in late 2009. He did a fantastic job. NuHart was great to work with. 6 months later I have just a slight scar left that is just really a pink line. There are some strange posts that do not accurately reflect the passion Dr. Boles has for his work and his patients.

My guess is these are posts from competitors, posing as clients. The fact is Dr. Boles follows up with all his patients and guaruntees his work. Do not be fooled by posts that state of "being butchered" or something like it by Dr. Boles. If you research Dr. Boles you find most all of his patients report great experiences like mine. Also, he has been performing transplants for over 20 years and trained most of the NuHart doctors. His experience and work speaks for itself. He also flys all over the world to all NuHart offices now to train doctors and allow other doctors vacation time.

I would recommend Dr. Boles and NuHart to anyone. Meet him first and ask all the concerning questions you have. He will be straight with you about your expectations. Then take some time to think about your decision. He gave me plenty of time to think it over with no pressure.

Good luck with your decision.

Oh ScottG2010,

Nice to meet you. Hope you stick around for more than a couple of posts.

Patsy,

For UK surgeons, look into Fargo.

Sparky:

I can only speak of my experience with Dr. Boles and NuHart. The fact is neither have a bad rep. If you talk to them, they would be the first to acknowledge that other doctors and other hair transplant companies do very good work. One of the things that attracted me to them was the fact that they did not claim to be the best or that everyone else was bad. They simply laid out a realistic expectation without the enormous pricing of the other executive, high overhead companies. If you would like to 2 or 3 times the price for the same risks and likely less experienced doctors that have a rediculously expensive office with leather chairs and formal dressed slick salesman, by all means go to Bosley or HC. I'm not a fan of phony frills so that did not appeal to me. I'm happy with my decision and have no reservations about my surgery.

Everyone needs to interview many different companies and doctors in person before deciding on who they want to go with. I did that and I decided on Dr. Boles and NuHart. I followed there post op guidelines and got great results. Again, that is all I can report on.

Perhaps, you (Sparky) can tell Patsy what your experience was and with what doctor, etc... That might give her some options to look into.

Give me a break with the "new poster" title. I just got my transplants less than 7 months ago. Do you expect me to join and post before I have any experience or something to share?

Patsy:

You simply need to keep your options open and meet with companies and doctors face to face and use your own best judgement based on that. People with great procedures rarely post so your mostly going to hear from those who likely had unrealist expectations or have some need to smeer competitors and doctors. Do not base your opinion on these posts exclusively. You need to do the assessment yourself by meeting them in person.

Good luck with your hunt. The good news is that most procedures go great because the results are very predicable. Just get the someone you are comfortable with, follow the post op directions, and you'll be fine.

ScottG2010,

Welcome to the Hair Restoration Discussion Forums. If you are a legitimate patient of Dr. Boles, you're more than welcome to share your hair transplant experience. However, because this community is often bombarded by clinic representatives posing as patients, I recommend you validate this claim by adding some photographs (showing your degree of loss before your hair transplant and several shots of the outcome) to your social profile or by creating a weblog documenting your experience.

To all other members,

If you are considering a hair transplant, I highly suggest booking a consultation with one of our recommended hair restoration physicians.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Patsy,

Before you make a final decision on NuHart, get a consult with Dr Robert Haber in Cleveland, Ohio.

I had a consult with NuHart years ago and was not impressed.

I am assuming you live in the Pittsburgh Pa. area. Don't let travel stop you from getting the best HT you can.

Check out the Doctors reccomended on by Pat and Bill on the Hair Transplant Network. They will not steer you wrong.

Dr. Robert Haber is really not that far from you if you live in the Pittsburgh area.

He is one of the top HT Doctors in the World. Also research Dr Ron Shaprio, Dr Glenn Charles, and Dr Victor Hasson and Jerry Wong from Hasson&Wong

My advice is get many more consults and be a choosey in who you pick!

Good Luck with your future HT.

Johnny4hair

No problem Mr. Moderator. A few before and after pics are now available. Remember, though that I have always had very thin hair. Camera flashes do not do my new hair pictures justice but it was all I could create in a few minutes. Also, I'm still feeling new hair coming in and getting thicker. In August this year I will consult with Dr. Boles again to perhaps just do one more HT to thicken up the area that were bald before my first HT. Probably 1000 grafts or less.

Hopefully these informal requested (proof) pics are evidence enough for both the moderator and Sparky. I'm just a regular guy just trying to help others. I can speak first hand about my HT with Dr. Boles but completely agree with Johnny4hair. There are many good if not great doctors out there. Patsy, you just need to make sure you get one that presents you realistic results, backs them up with a guaruntee, and you are comfortable with. It is a big decision. You should do as much research as you can before committing.

Good luck.

Scott

Also, Mr. Moderator. If you are going to request that I humble myself and put pics of my before and after to confirm that I'm not a fake patient, I would request you make the same public request for such pictures from those with negative posts that make outlandish claims with terms like "butchery" and "fork and knife". Those are the posts that seem to stand out as obviously having an agenda. The fact is all HT done where donor areas must be stitched up will have a scar. New very expensive single folical HT do not leave a scar but are crazy expensive. Here is the facts: 1) A great surgeon can do a great job and the patient does not follow the post op procedures resulting in poor results. Not the surgeons fault. 2) A great surgeon can run into problems as all patients are different and the hairs transplanted may not take or donor area may have complications. 3) Most all board certified HT surgeons do very good jobs but the results are in the eyes of the patient. If they are nearly bald and expect to look like Elvis, they are going to be disappointed.

Be realistic with any doctor people. If you have very thin hair, do not expect thick hair after a transplant. If you have no hair where in a transplanted area, the chances are it will be thin if only one procedure is done. The doctor can only put the new grafts so close and still surround them with healthy skin. Just be realistic.

"A great surgeon can do a great job and the patient does not follow the post op procedures resulting in poor results. Not the surgeons fault. 2) A great surgeon can run into problems as all patients are different and the hairs transplanted may not take or donor area may have complications."

This seems to be what all the bad surgeons are saying, blaming the patients. Theres not a lot you can do to mess up the results of your HT after the procedure has been done, as long as you follow the post op instructions, you have done all you can to make sure it turns out how the surgeon said it would turn out.

Patsy, my advice to you is to pick one of the recommnded clinics and give Nu-Hart a wide birth!

ScottG2010,

First, thank you for sharing some photographs. I hope you understand that I'm not trying to single you out or make unfounded accusations; I'm simply trying to moderate the forums. With regard to your other comments - you're absolutely right. Although the hair restoration discussion forums are definitely pro-patient, we do not stand for unfounded defamation or slander of any party (patient or physician). If there is a specific post which you feel is unfair to Dr. Boles or the NuHart Clinic, please let me know, and I will have someone contact Dr. Boles and give him the chance to explain.

However, keep in mind that individuals (especially patients) sharing their first-hand opinion is not something we will moderate (unless it's inappropriate). Hopefully this clears a few things up, and I hope you enjoy your time on the hair loss forums and social community!

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 1 month later...

I agree with sparky. I think whole problem of "wrong expectations" will be resolved if the hair clinics are honest in their consulktation with the patient and give him the true idea of what is he/she going to look like 6-12 months after the procedure.

The problem [i am talking to you scottg2010] is that most hair clinics [i know Nuhart too well, I was a patient there] make you believe that you will look great if not exactly like Elvis/Rod Blagojevich, and that is a false promise to get the patient to sit in the chair.

NuHart is not as great as suggested by you. I seriously believe that you work for them.

• 2 years later...

The reason why I said this is the surgeon can totally defend himself when it comes to number of grafts. For example. A technician can divide 6000 hair into 2000 grafts or 4000 grafts. Depending upon hair per graft. So technically speaking it depends on the ethics of the surgeon. Dr. Boles is a decent surgeon but the Nuhart at King of Prussia is handled by unethical assholes who will rob you of your money. They will give you very small of grafts. they talk about small price but what you dont realise is that they are also giving you less for your money. I would not recommend you to go there at all.

• 8 months later...

I had 2 proceedures with Mark Boles in 95 and 98, He's been doing this a long time. I have no complaints. No one knows I've had this procedure it looks natural. His grafts could be a little less 'grid-like' but really, it looks fine. I'd be nearly bald without these. My scar is average, not bad.

Boles is good.