FUE Candidate

Hi,

I've been considering FUE for a while and recently visited the Harley Street Hair Clinic in London. They recommended either a one day session of 2000 hairs or two day session of 4000 hairs for greater density. This is purely for the temple region. I think I'm starting to thin a little on top but it's not really noticeable. Apparently my hair is thick and ideal for transplant. I was wondering if anybody could comment on this advice and perhaps somebody has experience of the Harley Street Hair Clinic? Btw i'm 27 and started to loose hair on the temples about 3-4 years ago.

Thanks,

IMG_0093.jpg.e4fa85c8af99e50c9fed81b13cb978d5.jpg

xksrtkivvhzw,

That's one heck of a nickname! But welcome to our community :-).

For starters, did the clinic recommend 2000 to 4000 hairs or grafts? Typically, 2000 to 4000 hairs is the equivalent of approximately 909 to 1818 follicular unit grafts.

Also, there is quite a difference between 900 and 1800 grafts. How much you need will depend on the amount of hair loss you have.

In looking at your photos, I'd suggest approximately 2000 grafts in the frontal core to strengthen the central core and redefine your hairline.

Keep in mind that hair transplant surgery is not a cure for male pattern baldness. Propecia and Rogaine typically complement a hair transplant by helping to slow down, stop, or even reverse its progression.

You may want to consider trying these proven hair loss drugs for a year first to see if they can help you acquire more density in the front prior to surgery. But that's up to you.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Bill

I'm with Bill---2000 grafts--your thinning right behind the forelock which will eat up 300 or so grafts. The other 1700 should be used to create a slightly conservative, natural hairline that meets your goals, but still retains an eye on the future.

I would speak to patients from the UK and get some opinions.

At your age and level of loss, I would get on Propecia and do an FUE session.

This would not overly tax your donor and leave you set up for future loss should it occur.

Strip would be a fine choice as well, as long as you are educated about future loss and additional future sessions.

Again, make sure you reach out to others from the UK and most importantly SEE PATIENTS IN PERSON.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 2 years later...

Be wary with the Harley Street guys. They may have done Rooney but they are definately not the best in the business.

You are young so I would try the medications for at least 12 months. The success of these will influence your long term game plane. If they don't work or you get side effects but still continue with a HT the chances are you may need 3 or 4 HTs over the next 10-15 years.

Your hairloss looks almost the same pattern as mine was at your age.

Unless there is a big risk of you receeding to a NW6+ and you want the option of being able to shave to grade 1 or 2 then I think you would be better off with strip surgery. You'll get more bang for your buck.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Don't go to Harley Street Hair Clinic.

I had a consultation there and I can assure you there are much better surgeons recommended on here.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Don't think Harley st that good. Have you checked out the doc that does the work?

You gonna have to try the meds out first.

If you want fue look into Belgium.

Don't rush into it.

You can leave your hair a bit longer on top but this might cost you more (some places charge a surplus).

Mine was left long on top and it helps cover the receding hairline that's been repaired. There's no escaping the shaved back and side though.

After 2 weeks, i returned to work and the only comment i got was "have you signed up for the marines". You couldn't tell the donor area was still slightly pink as the hair had grown enough.

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul