Scar Repair FUE Dr Jose Lorenzo Farjo

Peperoni

Hi hairweare .....

Ah I think my hair density is finally coming to an end as I am just having another 3000 rather than 6000 grafts. I did mention to Dr Lorenzo that I was a little worried about the sides of my head losing density but he advised that at two months it was too early to tell as it takes 4 months for the donor area to recover. I saw under the microscope that alot of my donor hairs were still recovering so I shall wait and see at the 4 month mark.

If I do not get the full recovery then he advised it was possible to take more beard hair as I do seem to have alot it - ahem ! So, it may be 1500 beard and 1500 scalp depending on how I look on the day of the surgery. You sure can tell where beard hair has gone in as opposed ot scalp hair .... and I am pleased to be able to feel it through my fingers too.

I do believe we are in the ugly duckling phase and time does pass slowly - but we need to think of the future and for me it is the liberation from concealing and an easier life. So fingers crossed for us both .....

Pepe ....

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I meant a total of 6000 between the two procedures which is quite remarkable considering your earlier history. Personally, I don't think my beard hair will look good anywhere other than my scar which was one of the reasons I didn't go with Dr. Umar who wanted to use 2500 beard grafts right away. I would strongly consider another procedure with Dr. Lorenzo even if only 1000 could be harvested. You are fortunate to be able to stop in personally to the clinic for follow up. I have found communication via email with the Farjo Clinic somewhat difficult but surprisingly Dr. Lorenzo responds very promptly despite his busy schedule.

Hi hairweare ....

Yes, it is early days for me to see what the beard hair will look like on my scalp but at this point I am happy to have hair in the places which were completely smooth. Personally, I think it will be fine as Dr Lorenzo would not consider it if it was going to be a bad result. I have total faith in his decisions and I expect he will have used beard hair on the scalp before with good results - so we shall see.

I am lucky to be only a few hours drive away to the Farjo clinic and I will pop in the week before my next procedure to ensure my scalp is okay - I had a touch of dermatitis after my surgery but a week of special shampoo quickly sorted it out. Dr Lorenzo Fed Exed it over from Spain within a matter of days which was great.

All the best sir ....

Pepe .....

I noted that Dr. Wesley had recently posted the result of a viability study comparing beard and chest hair for scar repair and although the numbers were relatively small the conclusion was that better growth occurred with BHT than beard.

In my case I am 3 months status post 301 beard grafts that were placed in a scar 26cm long by 5mm wide. I just had a very short clipper cut last week which would have earlier exposed the entire scar for 2-3 weeks. I can see and my stylist agreed that the scar on the right side which was not quite as wide, has completely disappeared while 8cm of the left sided scar is still visible but to a lesser degree and the area is no longer entirely bare. It may require another 100 -150 to be perfect but I will know for sure in another several months. Dr. Lorenzo does measure the hair diameters of both donors sources to evaluate compatibility. My scalp hair measured .058 and my beard which I would consider coarse appears to have blending in very nicely.

The face looks great and it's amazing how fast those cheeks got back to normal. Do you shave smooth every day or do you do the 5 o'clock shadow look?

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Hi voxman ....

I wet shave every day as the five o'clock shadow look starts to expose my greying beard hair. I must admit though for the first two weeks after restarting shaving I shaved every other day. I did not need to but I thought it would give my skin a better chance to recover if it required it.

But I was amazed how quickly my skin recovered and I am very pleased that nobody can tell I had any beard hair removed - even when they look up close.

Pepe .....

Hi Hairweare ....

That is very encouraging to hear that your scar is looking better. Also it is interesting to hear that BHT is as good as beard hair, body hair is something that I seem to have an abundance of. I was told by a couple of surgeons that body hair was not as good as beard hair but I am guessing with all the surgeons out there then they are not always going to agree. I wonder if there is any long term benefits of one over the other ....

I am also interested that you had your hair cut with clippers as Dr Lorenzo told me that I would have to wait 5 months before I could use clippers in any area that I had received donor hairs. Sadly, that is everywhere ...... So, essentially I have not had a hair cut at all. I do not think that scissors would get to the level of shortness I would like so I am just leaving it. In fairness there is only 7 weeks or so before my next procedure so I am quite happy to let it grow out. But after 5 months of my next procedure I will be hitting the clippers and I cant wait !

All the best ....

Pepe .....

Best to follow post op orders specific for your situation but I don't recall Dr. Lorenzo advising me not to get a clipper cut. I had the recipient top which was not shaved for the procedure scissor trimmed after two weeks and the shaved donor/recipient sides clipper faded last week. My donor area appears the same to me as it was pre-op.

One interesting and unexpected observation is that the scar not only already looks better but actually feels less tight that before. I wonder whether the 300 perforations with beard grafts had anything to do with the regrowth of new nerve endings but the area feels much more normal. I didn't expect to experience either the pain in that area both during graft implantation and the 3 weeks post op but the result so far is looking very favorable.

Hi Hairweare and Pep,

Looking for advice so hope you guys don't mind answering.

As two patients of Dr Lorenzo what made you chose him as apposed to the other FUE docs that repair scars in Europe such as Feriduni, Bisanga etc. What do you think of the implanter he uses? Did either of you put any scalp hair into your scars?

Man I am really hoping for a knockout result for you. Looking at your strip scars and the unrefined work and graft placement of your previous surgeries gets me sad. It is an absolute travesty that those surgeons who worked on you previously were ever allowed to practice cosmetic surgery... You have chosen one of the best and most ethical surgeons in the whole world, I'm really hoping for a killer result for you!

Pepperoni,

Who performed your previous surgeries? I feel for you - that is shocking.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Pepperoni,

I missed your post earlier and have just read it through in it's entirety and I have to say I really hope you have a wonderful outcome and can free yourself of the system. The donor scars that you received were nothing short or horrific and I had 3 previous FUT's with similar pattern of scarring back in the 90's. I have never shaved down to your level to expose them like you have before your surgery.

Who carried out the old work?

I am following your case very interested as I have seen how beard hair can be very effective into strip scars so please do update your case as it will be of interest to many on here. The healing 7 days after looks excellent.

So am I right in saying you are going in for another 3000 grafts? Are you going to place beard hair on top or just into your scars again?

Good growth to you.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Hi Dubhain ....

Sorry for the late reply .....

I chose Dr Lorenzo after doing alot of research through the forums to see who was doing great work and what procedures they proposed. I did send out my pictures to two surgeons in Belgium and they came back with good proposals but had not really had the chance to fully examine me. The price was considerably less than Dr Lorenzo but his reputation and results swayed it for me. The big debate was over how the scars would be treated - as in body hair or beard hair.

For some reason I have it in my head that beard hair is better for scars and as such Dr Lorenzo only recomended that type of hair for my scars. Also, I could easily access Dr Lorenzo without having to fly into Europe and with his good reputation - it kinda swayed it for me. Location, Procedure type and his great Reputation.

Other than that I hear great things from Ferudini and others but I think I chose the the Dr who I had the greatest confidence in.

Pepe ....

Hi Mickey85, Garageland and ChrisDav ....

I think you are all asking the same questions about who performed my strip scars - well I am not sure if I can name names on here but it was a northern UK clinic (not Farjo obviously). I have to admit though that it was before FUE really became mainstream.

Being relatively ignorant to how the results would be over time I blame myself for being short sighted and thinking that I would be okay. I believe in those days they used cat gut to close the strips and in hindsight it is really was not the way to go. But I guess in reality we do what we think is best at the time ......

Garageland - the next 3000 grafts will include a few more into the scars and the rest to cover areas of the scalp. The amount of beard hair taken will be 1000 grafts but that may increase dependent on how my donor area is prior to the next procedure in July. Dr Lorenzo wants to ensure that all the hair taken from my donor area leaves it consistent across all of the donor area. So, if 2000 cannot be taken from the donor area then the difference will be made up from the beard. Beard hair will go into my scalp too as every hair is precious at my stage and I really am not expecting a look that is fully thick but as long as I have a consistent covering then that is fine by me.

Thank you all for your well wishes and I hope you all get the results you are seeking ....best wishes !

Pepe ....

Edited by Peperoni

Hi Hairweare .....

That is great news that your scars are looking so much better !

I cant really see mine as the hair has grown over them and being on the back of my head - it takes some ambidextrous fiddling with mirrors etc. I did see the growth of new hairs when I went for my 2 month check up and that was very encouraging. But, I guess I will see a better affect next month when my hair is cropped before the next procedure. We will also see if a little more work is needed .....

I will try and post pictures as and when that happens ....

I am not sure if my scars do feel any different, occasionally I get a prickle sensation in my largest scar and I have no idea why. There is no discomfort nor any feeling of easing as they are not too tight but your experience is definitely great for you.

Keep up the improving .....

Pepe .....

it was a northern UK clinic

I am guessing it was the Norton clinic.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Peperoni,

May I please ask you, how many FUT/FUE procedures and how many grafts did you receive before this surgery? What happened to those grafts? All failed? How long did those grafts last? How did you lose them? Do you have any pictures from those surgeries?

Dr. Lorenzo is the best. I am sure you will have good results from your recent procedure. All the best. Thanks.

Hi Spanker .....

I was not planning on any photo updates just at the moment as it was less than a month ago since my last photo update and there is very little to see that is dramatically different. I think the next big telling point will be next month when I go for the next procedure and my scalp is shaved down again.

All I can say is that the crown is continuing to grow and the sides of my crown seem to be much better. I would love to be able to see the scars but holding a camera and a comb and trying to picture the back of my head has proven tricky.

I will continue to post pictures as and when I can show something a little different than before.

Many thanks for writing

Pepe .....

Hi Johngage ....

Wow that is quite a tricky question so I am going to try to answer you from memory ....

I believe my first procedure which was strip was way back in 1998 and that was 3,000 grafts which were placed on the top of my scalp. A few of these remain as I can see the difference in the punch marks around those grafts. I followed that one up with another strip procedure a year later with the same quantity and between the two procedures I maybe have a 1000 hairs left after all these years. At that time I was trying to pre-empt my thinning crown and as such did not really take photographs as there was very little to see.

I had another strip done around 2002 in Greece and the scar was much better but the results were very poor as far as I could see. In 2007 I had my first Fue session which was to create a brand new hairline (again in Greece). The results were very good but I was still losing a good amount of hair from my crown. I realised that I was not really getting anywhere and so I used a Hair unit from then until 2014.

I believe that 7 years of sticking down the unit with strong glues has drastically reduced my hair transplants as they were not really allowed to breath and did not receive any daylight either. So, it is really hard to quantify what has gone on because in the early days counts were not really taken. I would say thought hairs have remained from the strip surgery maybe about 20%, the Fue I had on my hairline has probably 70% of the hair remaining.

I apologise for being so vague and not having more information to hand but hope this little bit helps ....

Pepe ....

Hi Pepe,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Appreciate it very much.

May I pls know, are you on any meds? If so, since when?

I am just trying to understand how/why HT's fail. I've always thought that hair in your safe zone is safe, as it is genetically resistant to DHT. If the grafts survived the HT procedure, it should last as long as the remaining hair in your safe zone??

There is another guy on this forum who says he had 3 FUT's and all seems to have failed. I am waiting for his reply to the same question.

Thanks a lot once again.

Hi JohnGage .....

No I am not on meds and have not taken them in the past either .... I now wish I had but in those good old days not alot was published about them as there are now.

I am not sure that my past FUT's have failed completely but for sure there has been some loss. I have only been without the hair unit for a few months and I may see some more growth in the areas that were previously covered by the glue. For sure though, they are certainly alot less from the FUT procedures whereas the Fue has remained better. It may be down to the quality of the surgeon too ..

Pepe ...

A little off topic, but you should grow the beard IMO. If I had a beard like that, I would rock it in all its glory. As it stands, I rock a much weaker one (but not too weak).

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.