Should I be considering Hair transplant?

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and also wanted to ask the best approach in my current state.

I have always had a very high hairline and thin hair and as always mocked for having a "big forehead" since I was a kid. So I am not sure exactly when I started to really starting thinning but my guess is it was when I was around 17 18 years old. Anyhow I was always worried about losing my hair as a kid as mpb genes are very strong in my family. I jumped on generic propecia and minoxidil 5% at the first sign of thinning when I was about 20 years old. I had a lot of regrowth with minoxidil and I am sure propecia helped me keep my hair for 3 years. However, due to some personal issues I was very inconsistent with my regime in the last two years and have lost a lot of hair in the mean time. I went from practically having all my hair to extremely thin in the last two years. I have jumped back on to my old routine and I have been at it for two months but this time around I am just not seeing any effect and no regrowth signs that I did the first time. If I was a good responder the first time shouldn't I be a good responder the second time as well? Anyhow, below are some of my pictures which will help explain my situation better. First pic is where I was 5 years ago at the peak of my treatment. Second and third is where I stand now. All pics are with wet hair though lighting conditions and cameras are different.

The last pic is after I have cut my hair down to an inch and the hair is dry. You can see the thinning.

How bad do you think it is now? Do you think I may be a candidate for Hair transplant at this point. I am really hoping that the meds will make a difference though I am not so sure this time around.

5b32ddb8a9143_17dec2008.jpg.98e44a661d1346a8fe5177d627c7d264.jpg

IMG_6894.jpg.7dc45e847ba001f0758efbbd0be53495.jpg

IMG_6891.jpg.5a095518dcdc75c314f73a4447288a91.jpg

IMG_6957.jpg.36919d59d1109949a85cd07b1115ff3a.jpg

you could be a candidate if it is really bothering you, but remember there is always the chance for shockloss

I think you may have to shave if you decided to have a HT (for careful and optimal graft placement), so consider that as well

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I would give your recently resumed regime more time, 2 months isn't very long. In the next 4 months you could notice an improvement... of course, doesn't hurt to talk to doctors in the mean time, just sayin.

gott astay on the propecia and minox for a full year (...and the rest of your life)

to see where you are

from the pics you look like a diffuse thinner

though there could be some shed from your recent start of propecia and minox

if you responded the first time you will respond the second,

gotta wait a full year

Thanks for all of your advice.

I think I am going to give the meds an honest 1 year before I jump on to something else. Ever since I have been consistent I have seen a lot of shedding of terminal plus miniaturised hairs. And now for a few days I have only noticed small hairs falling out. So I guess the meds are working (hopefully). I am in the toronto area so I will try and go see Dr. Cam Simmons to get his opinion on my situation.

In the mean time, I am going to continue with my meds and will post an update at the end of April for you guys to check if you see any improvement.

Thanks again.

"got to stay on the propecia and minox for a full year, and the rest of your life,

to see where you are.

from the pics you look like a diffuse thinner

though there could be some shed from your recent start of propecia and minox

if you responded the first time you will respond the second,

gotta wait a full year."

I second the above. Give the meds real time to work and to stabilize your hairloss, then reassess from there. Everybody wants results "now" in our society- sometimes you just gotta' stick to the plan and take one step at a time.

Hi Iceman,

As the others have already said you really need to see how you respond to the meds at the year stage, hopefully you will get some improvement over you current situation but 2 months is too soon to tell what will happen. The last pic indicates that you have some diffuse loss in a bigger pattern than just the hairline so I wouldn't do anything in terms of surgery just yet.

The mid scalp might improve with the meds and then you will know what you are dealing with.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Great advice above!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.