Contemplating Second HT Session

Hey Guys,

I had a consultation with my Doctor few days back and I am now thinking of second FUE session sometime in May 2014. I had my first FUE HT in June 2013.

Doctor suggested that we should be able to get 1500-2000 grafts(at max) from the back of the scalp and possibly 300(at max) from the beard shadow area.

Doctor also suggested to comb my hair from left to right because my first session was conducted keeping that particular style in mind. Meaning thereby- more thick and dense grafting was done on the left side than right. Additionally I feel that my right scalp didn't grow well.

I am 30 years old. Keeping in mind - the donor density, limited donor area and long term plan , would you please suggest which option should I go for ?

first FUE session - Immediate Pre Op and Post Op Pics.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171136-my-hair-transplant-experience-3180-grafts-dr-bhatti.html

7 months Post Op

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173584-3180-fue-dr-tejinder-bhatti-20th-june-2013-a.html

Option 1 (Doctor's Preference)

1500-2000 grafts from the scalp donor are to the crown bald spot.

and

300 beard grafts again at the left parting hairline with the idea of combing my hair from left to right

Option 2 (My Preference)

1500-2000 grafts from the scalp donor are to the crown bald spot.

and

300 beard grafts to the right parting hairline. I prefer this approach because this would give my hair a symmetrical look. At present my left side has got okay density and right is just good for nothing.

Option 3 ( Fuller appearance ? )

Get all 1500-2000 scalp grafts and 300 beard grafts filled in mid to right scalp.

and

leave the crown bald. This option may work because we all know crown is a black hole and 2000 grafts may not do anything there. And since all of our interactions happens from the front ,a full head of hair in front should boost up my confidence.

~eternal denied

Option 3 and then SMP into the crown

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Spanker,hsrp Appreciate your response on this.Did you have a look at my 7 months updated pictures after first HT.

do you feel that a lot many hair didn't grow from mid to right scalp if you compare 7 months update to immediate post op pics?

Hey guys

Are there any sticky threads here that answers the frequently asked questions for second HT ?

How can we best utilize the second session. What are the questions I should be asking my doctor ?

Can I expect some significant growth from 8 months to 11 months line ? How do we carefully plant new hairs in between earlier planted grafts ?

What are the chances of Shock loss ? Should I not touch the earlier planted area to avoid the shock loss and go for the area that was left untouched in first session i.e back of the head.

Hi Eternal,

I can't think of an "FAQ" section specifically for second procedures.

Effectively utilizing the second session will be something specific to your case and goals. I know we discussed this briefly before, but normally the goal of a second procedure revolves around reinforcing the most visible areas (hairline, frontal scalp, and mid-scalp). However, if you want to focus on different regions or don't believe additional density is required in these areas, your procedure will be different.

Between months 8 through 11, you should see maturation between roughly 60% through a rate of approximately 90%. For many individuals, there is maturation of both density and the appearance of the hairs during this period.

An experienced hair transplant surgeon will know how to implant between existing grafts without overwhelming the tissue and causing shock loss or damaging the existing grafts.

It is difficult to estimate the chances of shock loss. Shock loss is normally more significant (and permanent) in follicles already weakened by the androgenic alopecia process. For example, you are more likely to experience shock loss when implanting grafts near - and into - thinning regions than you are when implanting near previous grafts or thick native hair. Therefore, it stands to reason that your new grafts will be less susceptible to the shock loss process.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Do we have exact definition of crown here ? I believe crown is sometimes confused with vertex etc ? Do we have a picture on this site depicting various regions on scalp ?

I have highlighted my understanding of crown with white brush here. Is this correct ?

Crown.jpg.650107690277908208f1be2358def799.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Option 3 and then SMP into the crown

hsrp,

If you check my 7 months update you see that density in the mid to right scalp is not very good but I do see thin hair on entire area. I am in 10th months now and I believe results are better than 7 months.

The thing that I am worrying now is what about shockloss ? if I choose same area to get more grafts in, would these existing hair fall of ?

Could shockloss be the reason why my doctor was insisting on getting the back of my head covered ?

Yeah you gotta be careful about shockloss for sure, and also it's very important to give enough time in between procedures if you are working on the same area of the scalp.

If same area of scalp I would not have a second procedure until at least 18 months post-op.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Yeah you gotta be careful about shockloss for sure, and also it's very important to give enough time in between procedures if you are working on the same area of the scalp.

If same area of scalp I would not have a second procedure until at least 18 months post-op.

Thanks much hsrp, this forces me to rethink my decision of having the second surgery on the same area. I am so dead confused because as far as appearance is concerned it makes sense to get the front look covered first. I mean thats the part everyone see in our day to day interaction until we turn our back to them.

here is my 10 months update. what do you think of those fine hairs on right scalp ? Are those dead anyways ?

10 Months Update - Dr Bhatti - 3180 grafts in Jun 2013 - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients