Finasteride and Sexual Dysfunction

Time to do something

I've started on Propecia at 1 mg a day. I'm about to change that to splitting a 5 mg pill of finasteride in half and taking it every other day to save money. This was approved by my doctor. However, a doctor friend of mine suggested that I split the 5 mg pill of finasteride into quarters and take one quarter every other day to avoid possible sexual side effects. I am terrified of the possible sexual side effects of this drug from what I've read on the internet. I'd rather be bald that impotent. Does anyone out there have any experience with this? Would I achieve acceptable results with ?? of a 5 mg pill every other day and have less of a chance of this causing any sexual dysfunction? I've read the half life of finasteride is such that taking it every other day or even every four days would not lessen the effectiveness.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Hi, let me first say well done for getting on finasteride, its the best step to try and prevent further hair loss.

With regard to side effects - don't read stuff on the internet. There are a whole load of things that may cause such effects and I feel it is best to look at the real evidence we have.

Some HT docs recommend using propecia (1mg finasteride) three times a week.

I personally take propecia daily because that's what was used in the trials and was shown to be effective.

I don't like the idea of taking half a 5 mg tablet every other day. 2.5mg, to me, seems a bit too much to take as a single dose. I would much prefer to quarter the tablets and take 1.25 mg every day. See how it goes, if you get any sides you can reduce it.

Good luck.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Time to do something,

Yeah, it's about time you started Fin. Like splitting hairs said, don't let those websites psyche you out. Remember that in the clinical studies for Propecia that a percentage of those taking the sugar pills experienced some "sexual side effects" as well.

Start out taking it every day. From my experience, I did have some testicular pain in the first two weeks of taking it. I almost quit but it subsided and I haven't had an issue 3 and 1/2 years later. It has done wonders for me.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Dr. Cooley had a great post about this topic 3 or 4 yrs. ago. You should be able to locate it, but he essentially agreed with what your doctor friend said. Not because of side effects, but he thinks there is just as much benefit taking the lower dose amount.

Try the search and see if you can see it under his posts.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

In my opinion what Merck calls "side effects" are actually the true EFFECTS of the drug.

Think about it, what does this drug do ? It significantly reduces the production of DHT in the body. What is DHT ? It is a VERY POTENT SEX HORMONE!

So why would reduced libido be called a "side effect" ? ANSWER: because it would be rather difficult to MARKET a drug to men if they didn't sugar coat the truth about it -- PERIOD !!!

Reduced libido is inevitable with this drug. It is the EFFECT of it, not a side effect! To what extent it reduces a patient's libido will greatly vary, however. In my case I have absolutely no problem with getting full erections and maintaining them. But watery semen is a DEFINITE while on this drug, as well as a general disinterest in sex compared to being off it and super horny.

But for many this can be a GOOD THING, because what worse of a trap can one be in than to be super horny and going bald at the same time ? Ya know, an old baldy at age 25 (and looking like a 50 year old)and can't get laid unless you go to the old folks home, or buy a hooker.

What could be worse than that ??

Labrat69,

Interesting points you make and I'm listening. I'm a novice on this subject but in theory wouldn't preventing the conversion of testosterone to DHT allow for more testosterone in the body which is what allows for libido and erections? Not all guys convert testosterone into DHT and consequently have a full head of hair. Are those guys less horny and unable to get erections as freely? I'm trying to get all sides on this before I continue on this medication. It sounds like you are doing ok on the medication. I could deal with 'watery semen' if that is the main effect. However, if loss of libido or erection is also an issue then I'd have a major problem. I really need to research this because I've heard both sides of the argument. Some say it destroys their sex life and others say it's had no adverse effects. Maybe it just depends on the individual because we are all built differently.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Reduced libido is not a given with Fin. In fact, there have been more instances of increased libido than decreased. Not everyone responds the same way to a drug. The best way to know if it works for you is to try it out and A) stop it if it is giving you undesired side-effects or if it is not slowing down your hair loss or B) keep taking it if it is working.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Well, it's funny but the only place I ever hear stuff like fin will increase libido in some people is on hair transplant forums (lol) !!

In real life (where most people haven't had a HT, and therefore are not trying to justify using the drug for the rest of their lives) the verdict has been decidedly different. Everybody that I have ever known who take this drug has had decreased libido and watery semen. But hey, it's not that big of a deal. Like I said, being oversexed and balding -- what could be worse than that unless you live in a country where the women aren't completely brainwashed by feminized images of pretty boy GQ men with full heads of hair ? And aren't those women somewhere in Uganda with those breasts that hang down to the ground and big plates of metal in their necks ?

And concerning those guys who experience erectile dysfunction on fin, I think alot of those guys probably weren't all that oversexed in the first place. For me I'm actually happy that the libido is decreased, because it was an absolute monster otheriwse and I could think of nothing else but sex. For guys like me it's a good feeling because you suddenly have a little more power and self control with women. You can resist, which is a good thing. And when you want it you can still enjoy it very much. Hey, sex is overrated anyway !!!

Labrat69,

Just playing devil's advocate. Could it be that the people who are taking finasteride not for hair loss are guys who are taking it for prostate problems who already have a propensity for some kind of sexual dysfunction? The only two reasons I know of that this drug is prescribed is for hair loss or prostate problems. I think I look better with hair than without but I have a differing opinion about how attractive someone is perceived with hair vs. without. Maybe because I might be older than you and when one reaches a certain age and maturity level priorities and preferences change. I know of a lot of guys who are considered attractive without hair. Also, depending on your age if you are 'oversexed' now that may change as you get older. If you drive has diminished on finasteride and you are young what might happen as you age?

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Time to do something, Everyones experience is different when using finasteride. Personally I've tried propecia 3 seperate times in the last 12 years, each for about 2 months and the effects of the drug made it impossible for me to continue. I've tried 3 times because a.) I thought it was all in my head, b.) I thought over time or as I age things would get better or change.

I think the amount of people experiencing "Side"

effects of this drug are much much higher than reported during the FDA study. I'm sorry but I've been through a lot and I've seen too much to give FDA studies much credibilty anymore. All I can say is thank God for the internet were we can actually compare notes with one another and we don't have to be made feel stupid by some. Which was how I was made to feel while taking propecia by one Hair Surgeon.

You may not experience any feeling of low libido or feel any different on this medication, but it doesn't mean your not doing anthing to your system in the long run. Every drug is liver toxic bar none! I had a hard time really understading that when I first heard it. But it has hit home now.

Anyways, to each is own. Since October, I've stopped eating Wheat/Gluten and all diary products for a medical concern of mine. I have been feeling a lot better!!! More importantly to the people on this website, I'm losing a lot less hair than I used to. I'm 33 years old and been losing hair since 17. The change (so far) has been dramatic. I've tried everything....believe me! I have not done anyting differently in the last 3-4 months but this.

MarkMark

Thanks for your input Markymark. What dosage and how frequently were you taking it? I'm thinking of changing from 1 mg a day to 1.25 mgs a day every other day. I wonder if taking it every other day and having a "medication holiday" would make a difference for the issues you described? Flac-do you and Pat take it? If so what has been your experience?

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

time to do something, if you are trying to avoid or get rid of side-effects, I've heard that .5mgs daily is about 80% as effective as 1 mg daily in slowing down hair loss.

Great thread, guys.

For what it's worth, I tried Propecia with high hopes about 18 months ago, and had a bizarro side effect: intense irritability (and my baseline is pretty upbeat). My wife and 12-year-old daughter each pointed out the dramatic change in personality after I'd been on the drug for about 3 weeks, and even though I found it hard to imagine the Propecia could be the culprit, I decided to try stopping it to see if it would make a difference. Within a week or so I was back to normal.

Still not convinced (and not wanting to give up the benefit of the drug), I went back on for Round 2 at a reduced initial dose (.5 mg/day). . . and promptly went right back to a state of chronic, intense irritability. So, of course, that was the end of my Propecia trial.

A little subsequent research uncovered the fact that 5-alpha-reductase (the enzyme inhibited by Propecia) plays a role in modulating androgenic hormone effects on the brain, so there's at least a plausible pathway for cognitive/affective changes . . . though based on the paucity of case reports, I'm assuming it's pretty rare.

Oh, and just to make matters more interesting, I had noticeably increased libido on the drug (another reason I hated to stop).

I started taking Propecia at the age of 23. It completely stopped my hair loss. However, by the age of 27 I had completely lost the ability to get even a slight erection. I lost all desire for sex. It was so humiliating at age 27 to not be able to get it up. MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT, there is no other reason that a healthy, non smoking, non drug using man should lose all interest in sex. It was the DRUG. If you didn't experience it, its simply because your time has not come up yet. My true feeling is that everyone will face its side effect at one time or another.

I have stopped taking propecia for 3 years now and have gotten back about 75% of my erection. However, I am not able to last more than 10 minutes at best. I used to be able to go for over an hour.

It took about 1 year to get any feeling back in my penis. It took about another year to get some respectable size erection.

I'm not in my third year of being off of it and my erections are acceptable, but my stamina has a way to go.

I was taking propecia everyday for 4 years.

CaptainO,

That is SCARY! I've been on it for three months. I haven't noticed the inability to get an erection but I've noticed they aren't as strong as they were. I wonder if this is in my head because of what I've read on here or if there is really something to it. Is there anyone on here who has been on finasteride for a long period of time who has had no sexual dysfunction? It has taken you THREE YEARS to get 75% of your erection back. I really think after reading this I'm going to stop. I would rather be bald than have ED.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts