Proscar (Finasteride) worth taking or not ? Side effects

Bradford786

Hi guys ,

Treatment day is in 3 weeks , I have been advised to start using Proscar (Finasteride) as from today , can anyone please guide me on where to purchase these tabs?

Also has anyone had any side effects by taking these?

Are there any benefits?

Are these important to take heiress treatment ?

Advice would we highly appreciated .

Saj

Are you able to PM on this forum yet? If yes, sent me a pm. I can help

Based on your questions it would seem you have a lot of research to do on this subject.

Here is some basic info I can provide. The drug will reduce DHT levels by around 70%, making it one of the best treatments against hairloss. The only better treatment is Dutasteride, which is similiar to Finasteride but even more potent. It will reduce DHT levels by around 90% based on the dosage.

Both these drugs, while very effective, severely tamper with your hormones/testosterone in order to reduce DHT. As a side effect your body's level of testerone will be put off it's natural balance. This will have several effects, including tampering with your sexual function and causing your body to produce more estrogen. Estrogen is not a good thing in men... with enough estrogen you will start to turn into a woman in that you will inherit female characteristics.

The good news is typically the side effects are so mild that people either don't notice any or describe them as insignificant. The bad news is sometimes the side effects can be significant, and in rare cases irreversible. Based on numerous scientific studies apparently the chances of havig noticeable side effects is 2% or less, but many people online will argue otherwise and say it is as much as a 50%. Reading accounts of people's experience online is misleading because the people posting about the drug are typically the ones having side effects. Let's say maybe a thousand or so people routinely post online about how the drug has ruined their life, this can appear daunting but at the same time millions have used the drug presumable with no major problems.

Finasteride/Dutasteride are the most effective treatments against hair loss. If you're serious about stopping your hair loss, you should give Finasteride a try. I do not recommend messing with Dutasteride as I think you're asking for trouble. If you experience side effects, immediately stop until they resolve and then either give up or lower the dosage. Some will recommend continuing the treatment if mild side effects are experienced and have reported "pushing" through the side effects in that they subside. That is up to you. Most people take 1 mg of Finasteride per day, which reduces DHT by around 70%, but a dosage of 0.2 mg per day will reduce DHT by around 60%. So I recommend cutting a 1 mg pill in four pieces and doing 0.25 mg per day initially then working your way up if no side effects are experienced. Or just stay at 0.25 mg and play it safe.

It is a very personal decision, as the side effects can be severe and as I mentioned in rare cases permanent. I personally believe many of the online accounts of permanent side effects are placebo, but at the same time I suspect some are true. Merck himself recently added to the caution label that side effects can be persistent (i.e. permanent). The main side effects are,

1. Decreased libido and morning wood

2. Erectile disfunction

3. Watery semen

4. Gynecomastia (male boobs)

5. Groin/testicular pain

6. Anxiety/depression

Rootz, i have been on proscar for 4 months now. I haven't experienced any sides at all. Is this a good sign? Would it be possible for sides to come in the long term. I have noticed less hair shedding and the crown is looking thicker.

Not experiencing side effects during 4 months is definitely a good thing and is a strong indicator you won't have future problems. However I've read accounts of people spontaneously experiencing side effects years after starting... I personally believe a lot of these type of stories are placebo. People develop sexual problems for all kinds of reasons, sometimes for no apparent reason. Then again, who knows for sure. If you suspect you are experiencing side effects though, you can always dial back the dosage.

FYI for anyone unaware Proscar is a version of Finasteride that comes in 5 mg pills, instead of 1 mg.

That is true. Everything is working well. I am only 25 years of age. Any problem can pop out in older men which can not specifically be related to fin. The other important thing is I heard is to use the branded version made my Merck. Its only a extra ?40 here in the UK than the generic version.

Edited by Yaz89

There shouldn't be any difference between branded and generic, so long as the generic is obtained from a reputable source. If you're buying from an online pharmacy, there's always the off chance they're selling you sugar pills so if you go that route be sure to read up on the place beforehand. There's a bunch of reputable online pharmacies out there though.

Your right there mate. I get mine privately from a GP who is recommended by Spex (spexhair). Be aware of online pharmacies offering meds without a prescription. Usually its a scam.

I have been on Finasteride now for around 7 years and no side effects although I understand there are people that have had them. I have mainly used 5 mg brand Proscar and generic 1 mg also. Been getting it recently from the doctor that Spex recommends Dr Edgar and was impressed with the service. His email address is: drstevegedgar@gmail.com

I don't think there will ever be a magic bullet for hair loss.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I have been on Finasteride now for around 7 years and no side effects although I understand there are people that have had them. I have mainly used 5 mg brand Proscar and generic 1 mg also. Been getting it recently from the doctor that Spex recommends Dr Edgar and was impressed with the service. His email address is: drstevegedgar@gmail.com

I don't think there will ever be a magic bullet for hair loss.

I ordered from Dr Edgar. Payment went through straight away and should have the meds this week. Top bloke, answered all my questions in a swift manner

Roots thanks for advice mate, by not taking finesterida tablets after the treatment would this make any difference to overall result ?

And Saj yes iam south Asain pakistani , have you had Ht treatment ?

Hi Bradford,

I was on Propecia for around 6 months in 2010 and the results were very encouraging. Unfortunately, I did suffer a few side effects even on smaller doses. I gave up on it and used only Rogaine - I've quit this as well now.

In terms of future results, the hair you currently have on the top of your head will go eventually as it has no defence against the hormone, DHT. I have accepted this and understand that I may need to have another operation down the line.

Regards,

BFA

I would say do it. At best, and most likely, your hair loss will stop and you'll hopefully even regrow some hair. You wont have side effects.

At worst, you get the side effects and then stop taking the drug.

Clearly worth a shot in my opinion, I'm so glad I took it. I'll have been on it 4 years next month with great success.

You should consider whether you should be having a HT without taking preventative medication though (not sure if anyone's said this already)

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I recently looked at a picture from 10 years ago and I can honestly say I have lost very little ground since I have been taking Fin. I started taking it about 8 years ago and it made an immediate impact on my crown area, both in thickness and maintaining hairs. Fin doesn't impact a receding hairline, that is where I had some work done, but I can attest over the years it does help the crown area.