Is it good start Rogaine FOAM and Propecia with out doctor consultation.

mkod

I was given 1) Hair Nourisher with SAW PALMETTO (60ML) ,2) jaborandi hair oil with SAW PALMETTO hair and scalp vitalizer (500ml) ,And 3) Scalp cleanser with SAW PALMETTO (500ml).

The consultant at RICHFEEL TRICHOLOGY CENTER requested me to mix 1 and 2 and apply every two days before going to bed and then use 3 the cleanser to clean while cleaning hair in morning. I haven't started using it yet. I like to consider other options than what was given to me by above consultant at the richfeel center.

I like to go for A) Rogaine FOAM 5% per day and B) Propecia 1mg every seven days. Can some suggest me is it good thing if use them without doctor consultation? NOTE: I havent gone for any HAIRTRANSPLANT al these years. If it is OK to take both A and B , what time I should consider applying FOAM and what is the good shampoo to clean it ? And how long i have to leave the FOAM on my hair before cleaning ? Advance Thanks MKOD

HAIRLOSS.png.aba8515cd1116f7ef2be618213a74933.png

• 2 weeks later...

both can have some serious side effects, so the answer is no

best to consult with a doctor

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Asked my doc about propecia in uk they said I need to see a dermatologist .the doc apparently could not proscribe it .myself I wul seek some advice before taking propecia .

I can not use minoxidl myself had a bad reaction to it ..

Personally, I would not take finasteride without consulting with a doctor. Rogaine is over the counter so I don't see that a doctor consult is necessary.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Consulting with a doctor for Fin is probably not necessary, but if you're looking to get a prescription to save money then that's a different story.

If you spend a few hours reading about the risks, useage, and side effects of Fin online you will probably know more than the typical doctor you would go to see anyways. Just don't take using the drug lightly, it is a serious drug with real implications. I would recommend starting out at a low dosage of either 0.25mg or 0.5mg per day, then work your way up to 1mg if you notice no side effects. Most doctors would recommend 1mg but I think that is starting out too high. Monitor yourself closely for side effects. If get side effects, depending on how severe they are, you will want to lower the dosage or discontinue. Most people do not report noticeable side effects.

If you end up doing Fin, I would definitely completely stop all the saw palmetto treatments you're doing, as their effects would be overshadowed by the Fin. Not worth the extra time and money IMO.

As for Shampoo, I would pick up some Nizoral and use it 2-3 times per week. It's a good idea to use Nizoral just in general.

I I like to go for A) Rogaine FOAM 5% per day and B) Propecia 1mg every seven days. Can some suggest me is it good thing if use them without doctor consultation? NOTE: I havent gone for any HAIRTRANSPLANT al these years. If it is OK to take both A and B , what time I should consider applying FOAM and what is the good shampoo to clean it ? And how long i have to leave the FOAM on my hair before cleaning ? Advance Thanks MKOD

In the USA propecia/finasteride is available by prescription only; so you would need to consult a physician to get a script.

Rogaine/Minox is an FDA approved med for hair regrowth that is available without prescription, and thus, you do not need to see a doctor to start that topical medication.

That being the case, a person would be wise to discuss any health issues, medication changes or general health changes with a physician.

I am aware of this new public health terminology, self-care, but to most people "self-care" includes consulting a physician at the pivotal point of medication changes... especially when an Rx is required for one of the medications.

With excellent forums like this, and all the knowledge on the internet, we are empowered to make bigger decisions (ie. medication changes) on our own... this is a personal choice.

Now, if you want to be extremely prudent... why not get a full physical before starting the meds? This way, a year or two after you start your new meds (rogaine, propecia), you can compare to your baseline from before you started the medication regimen.. Or, maybe you can even get a hair density map as a baseline (via microscope by an HT surgeon), and then compare a year or two later to see if your hair density has increased.

My HT surgeon (Parsa Mohebi) checks my hair density every year to monitor the state of my hair loss at different regions of my scalp. This is recommended to all HT patients, and I think everyone on this forum should have a similar chart (hair density map) that they regularly update (ie. every 6 months to 1 year) in order to be aware of how their hair loss is progressing.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

As said, Rogaine (Minoxidil) is over-the-counter, and there should be no problem whatsoever, unless you have some serious skin condition.

Finasteride on the other hand is a serious drug and no matter its status in your country you should by all means consult a doctor. Also, the dosage for hair loss is 1 mg daily. I'm really not sure 1 mg every seven days would have the desired effect--and that is another reason to see a doctor.

I do remember young adult days of people passing around supplies of finasteride to friends because the recipient was out of work and could not afford to see a doc. I don't recommend it.. but people will do what they have to do. Obviously it is better cross your t's and dot your i's.. we do not all have that luxury.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Why consult a doctor if it is not necessary? Consulting a doctor will have no bearing on whether you get side effects or not, nor will it have an effect on how well you respond to the drug. If you have an opportunity to purchase a drug without a prescription (some places in the world are like that) I think you should go for it. If you are taking other medications and want to consult if there are any interactions, then that is also very reasonable. Keep in mind, many doctors are not that knowledgeable about finasteride.

To be clear, I am not telling you not to see a doctor, but I don't believe it is necessary as some have suggested.

Edited by KO