Not a Suitable Candidate for FUT - What Should I do?

hairlover1

Hi Friends,

Let me start by giving a little history about my HT story.

I had my first HT procedure in December 2011, FUT 3200 grafts. It did not give me good results. I have added some pictures 1.5 years after the first HT. The results were no way near what I expected. Have to admit that it was my fault though, I did not do any proper research and rushed to the surgery. So obviously the surgeon was not a recommended doctor in this forum.

So I considered a second transplant, and met Dr. Pathuri Madhu in India few days ago. However, the feedback that I got from Dr. Madhu is that I'm not a suitable candidate for FUT anymore :( There were several reasons Dr. Madhu stated for that:

1. My scar is a bit wide. Therefore it is impossible to re-use it. Won't be able to extract a good number of grafts (I have attached some pictures of the scar).

2. In the donor area, the density of the hair is poor. Therefore if a second strip is taken, won't be able to extract much grafts. Also, the baldness in the back of the head might expand in future, and might show the scar of the second strip.

So, I had to go back dejected. The question that I want to ask is, is there anything that I can do? Can FUE be a good option for me? While I do not want to challenge Dr. Madhu's opinion, in your view does the donor area look poor and not suitable for a second FUT procedure?

Thanks a lot!

front.jpg.898b7d9c4c8c9e54a073e36711e4b627.jpg

back.JPG.2cdf8b01c90cd36e8cc7a854154f46fa.JPG

left_angled.jpg.b8910ffbc47c053e1d9ffb8ca8fdd8ac.jpg

scar_back_1.jpg.9861589307055ba0dcba96540d8eae44.jpg

scar_back_2.jpg.0057f27cec2620b6139aa0dc805cf0e4.jpg

scar_side.jpg.ec6024de0333e3f643004ec9658fbc12.jpg

Hi Hair,

Did you discuss the possibility of FUE with Dr. Madhu? If he thinks you have thinning in the donor region, then hair transplantation may not be a possibility. However, if the region is stable and he simply fears scar stretching, FUE may be an option. Are you on any preventive medications? These may help regenerate some of the hair in your donor region and make you a candidate for hair transplant surgery in the future.

Look forward to your reply.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

At this point medications is a must. If you haven't been on them at this point then that was the start of the downfall. Hopefully you are on something.

As far as the density of the donor area I feel like from the pictures it appress somewhat thick. Family genetics are going to be your best estimate to see how the possible pattern of hair loss. If it is like the doctor says then yes you are in a difficult spot. At this point you will have to let the crown hair loss just take it's course and accept it. You might be able to get some decent work but the doctor is probably right in his assessment.

In a case like this I think it is most important to set the goal as let's try to conceal that you've had a HT oppose to getting a great quality look. Of course if concealing it because of to many multiple grafts are causing a pluggy look then you should at least try plucking them and keeping a natural balding look. Shaving it completely and accepting the scar in the back is an option that might be something you should think about depending on the situation. The scar is something you can live with I am sure and the look will be clean.

The original placement of the scar was not wise on the surgeon who did it. At the very least, if they are still practicing HT then you should let the forums know who did it.

No matter what you will make it. Hang in there and take the advise on here for what it's worth. In my opinion the current look doesn't look bad. I think with as short of a haircut as you can go that hides the scar is going to be a decent look. Hair loss is natural so just try to cover up the mistake of the past HT at this point.

I would get a second opinion, possibly from an FUE doctor. It looks like you've started something that you need to complete. Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Future_HT_Doc, Patriot34 and Spanker,

First of all, thank you very much for your replies.

Dr. Madhu did mention it, but did not stress on it. I'll start a conversation with him on it today itself, via email. Also, I will get the opinion of some other doctors as well about the possibility of doing a FUE.

I am currently on medication, finpecia and Minoxidil. I have been using 2%, and Dr. Madhu recommended to use 5%.

At this point I think I would need several FUE sessions to atleast to get a decent look. I'm not talking about a head full of hair, but just a decent look where I can crop it short as possible so that my scar it still hidden. I discussed with my hair dresser, he thinks that I can crop it short using number 02/03 (It is a level of trimming hair, number 00 is shaving) still hiding the scar reasonably. That would be my aim at this point. Please let me know if its an unrealistic expectation in your viewpoints.

And I have to highlight the fact that all this complications are mainly because of my own fault. If I had properly researched and found out about recommended doctors, think my hair transplant story would have been a different one today :)

Hi all,

An update: I contacted Dr. Madhu. He said that its possible to do FUE, however they are at the moment not performing FUE, so that I need to wait for two months. Contacted Dr. Radha as well, still waiting for a reply.

Found a Surgeon named Dr. Mahadevia in Gujarat, India, who mostly performs FUE sessions as it seem. Anyone here has heard about that doctor?

No, I haven't. I would not risk it. You don't have any spare grafts.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Spanker,

Thanks, yes I too thought the same. Just wondered since he mainly does FUE.

Hi abdc0000,

Thanks a lot. Will do. I'm hoping more for FUE now though.

A general update: I was asked to wait a couple of months by Dr. Madhu since he is occupied with FUTs for the moment. Still to get a reply from Dr. Radha.

Hi all,

I was told by Dr. Radha Palakurthi to do 'scalp exercises' for a month before the surgery. Has anyone done the same and did it have any effect on the scar?

She is of the opinion that we can get 2000 or little lesser grafts, FUT. That would be a great number for me at this point :) But she has not yet examined me in person. What do you all think? Should I go for it?

Appreciate your feedback very much!

As abcd0000 already mentioned that you can check out the FUE doctors from Turkey.They have very good reputation among the patients and also you can check Dr.Bhatti from Chandigarh.You said you rushed into things last time so don't do the same mistake again.Take your time,do your research and invest in the best that you can afford.This is indeed a decision for lifetime.

HI Rez1,

Thanks for the reply buddy. Absolutely, I would be making no mistakes this time. That it why I want to discuss every detail with the community so that I can take the correct decision.

Going back to my original question, do scalp exercises help to narrow down a scar?

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

I consulted Dr. Radha Palakurthi of India and she actually thought I can still undergo FUT. So had the surgery one month back. We were hoping for a graft count around 2000, but the final count was 2630, which certainly surpassed my expectations.

Dr. Radha took another strip obove the first scar and stitched it with the first one (this is as I understand from her explanation). So, I only have one scar, not two!

I created a album (Title: Second Procedure - Post Op. Updates) and shared few pictures of initial graft placement, etc. Hope to update per month/per two months basis. Please go through the pictures and do share your opinions!

Thank you very much!