FUE Donor Healing Not Going Well

BigDan21

Hello All,

I've had 2200 FUE grafts on 12/30/13, 28 days ago today, and I'm very disappointed in my donor healing - this is not what I had in mind before going into this. Others have healed much better than I. As you can see from the pics, it's still very noticeable 28 days out, and the skin is still very red. I definitely am experiencing donor shock loss, as the denisty from the donor area is much less than the hair directly below.

Please the pics on this blog post:Hair Restoration Social Network - Hair Loss Patient Blogs

The recpient site, the first third of the scalp, has healed well and does not have any noticeable redness. So I've been happy with that progress. Feel free to browse my other photos.

Can I get some feedback on what I'm dealing with? I'm afraid that it will always look like this!

Thanks!

Hello All,

I've had 2200 FUE grafts on 12/30/13, 28 days ago today, and I'm very disappointed in my donor healing - this is not what I had in mind before going into this. Others have healed much better than I. As you can see from the pics, it's still very noticeable 28 days out, and the skin is still very red. I definitely am experiencing donor shock loss, as the denisty from the donor area is much less than the hair directly below.

Please the pics on this blog post:Hair Restoration Social Network - Hair Loss Patient Blogs

The recpient site, the first third of the scalp, has healed well and does not have any noticeable redness. So I've been happy with that progress. Feel free to browse my other photos.

Can I get some feedback on what I'm dealing with? I'm afraid that it will always look like this!

Thanks!

Welcome to the dreaded "Ugly Duckling Stage". Everything is going to look worse before it get's better, trust me. Everyone goes through it. Just be positive and try not to think about it too much. Give it some time to heal my friend. It will take some time. Around 3-4 months it will be good, that's what it was for me. It looks good though, who was your doctor by the way?

Cheers

Hi Dan,

I see the redness you're referring to. It does look a bit "redder" than average for 28 days, but this doesn't seem like any reason for concern. Patients heal very differently. There are a variety of reasons why you could be experiencing a bit more redness in the donor region, but it seems unlikely that this will be permanent or affect the outcome of your procedure.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi BigDan21,

I'd say it looks good for 1 month post op considering your skin complexion. As a comparison have a look at how red mine was at 1 month post op.

20130118_173714-1_zpsa4aeeb06.jpg

20130116_180321-1_zps7f55d08c.jpg

Regards

UK43

Edited by UK43

Have you been wearing a hat or bandana when outside in strong sunlight?

4066 FUE Grafts with Dr Bhatti, India 9&10 Jan 2014

For my pics and thread click the link:http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173658-4066-fue-grafts-dr-bhatti-india-restoring-more-than-just-hair.html

Hi Dan,

I see the redness you're referring to. It does look a bit "redder" than average for 28 days, but this doesn't seem like any reason for concern. Patients heal very differently. There are a variety of reasons why you could be experiencing a bit more redness in the donor region, but it seems unlikely that this will be permanent or affect the outcome of your procedure.

Good luck!

Thanks Blake. Besides being red, it never really grew back with the same density as the surrounding area. I know in principle that the density is less (as there were 2200 follicles removed), but it seems like it should be more dense. I haven't experienced any shedding.

Do you think it will grow in more over time so to be more dense?

Hi BigDan21,

I'd say it looks good for 1 month post op considering your skin complexion. As a comparison have a look at how red mine was at 1 month post op.

Regards

UK43

Thanks UK43. Yeah, we're definitely similar. You look like you have decent density. Two questions:

1. How long until the redness went away?

2. How long did you regain the density that you previously had? Or did it not?

everyone is different

try not to compare

it will drive you crazy

i was red for MONTHS

as long as there is no oozing or bleeding, you are fine

maybe change to a gentler shampoo organic without sulfates and parabens

as for the lack of density you are noticing: this is probably some shock loss like you said

this will take about 6 months to come back but you should notice improvement in three

letting the back grow out will help camouflage this

Thanks UK43. Yeah, we're definitely similar. You look like you have decent density. Two questions:

1. How long until the redness went away?

2. How long did you regain the density that you previously had? Or did it not?

Hi BigDan21.

The redness gradually faded, but it took around 3 months to get to the stage where it had completely gone, I kept my hair really short though so it was probably more noticeable than if I had left it to grow longer. You never regain the density you previously had as the FUE grafts taken from the back and sides of your head don't grow back, resulting thinner hair, which is why you can only realistically have two HT's before it gets too thin. Once the holes where the grafts were taken have closed up if your hair is quite thick it is not that noticeable.

Regards,

Uk43

Edited by UK43