Procedure with Hasson & Wong

GigiDuru

Hey guys, new user here.

As I am from BC, I looked up the recommended Physician and noticed Dr. Hasson & Wong being available in BC (the only ones).

I was wondering if anyone have any feedback in regards to their procedure and if anyone used them in their hair transplant.

Currently I have a what I can call a very mild hair recession that have been progressing during the past 4-5 years or so. I am sure it will continue to get worse as time progresses.

I am looking into hair transplant and any downsides it comes with. More specifically, I do wish to have a transplant procedure done instead of other methods such as using infrared or UV light, as I am very skeptical of those procedures and their effects on the brain.

I know pretty much nothing what to expect from a hair transplant, however I have seen results and they look very good. I also do know to stay far away from the big chains, which is what it brought me to this forum and community.

Cheers

The biggest downside with mild recession is you put the transplanted hair in the front and the rest behind it continues to receed. Then you have to go back for further work in a short period of time adding to the cost and inconvenience of it all. There's then the concern you may run out of donor supply, especially if you aim for high density in the front hairline.

Therefore it's best to try to stabilise your loss with medications like Propecia and Rogaine, ideally for 12 months prior to a HT. You can then formulate a long term plan where you may, for example, accept the possibility of having to go back in 10-15 years time for more work - somewhat preferable compared to going back in just a couple of years.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

The biggest downside with mild recession is you put the transplanted hair in the front and the rest behind it continues to receed. Then you have to go back for further work in a short period of time adding to the cost and inconvenience of it all. There's then the concern you may run out of donor supply, especially if you aim for high density in the front hairline.

Therefore it's best to try to stabilise your loss with medications like Propecia and Rogaine, ideally for 12 months prior to a HT. You can then formulate a long term plan where you may, for example, accept the possibility of having to go back in 10-15 years time for more work - somewhat preferable compared to going back in just a couple of years.

This is very good advice. I was advised the same at a recent consultation with a leading HT surgeon. Best to stabilise your hair loss first before even considering a HT.

When you think you are ready for a HT, then both Hasson & Wong and Rahal are not too far from you, and they consistently produce excellent results.

Propecia and minoxidil can stabilise the loss, thicken existing hair and possibly regrow some hair that was lost.

Some report sexual side effects but in the 4 years I've been on it I've had no side effects at all, nor have many (possibly even most) people.

It's definitely worth considering and in my opinion well worth trying. The only main issue with propecia is that it may lose effectiveness over the time, but then there is always Avodart to turn to if that happens.

You are very lucky in that one of the best clinics in the world is right on your door step. Hasson and Wong have an excellent reputation and people fly from all over the world to go there.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Hasson & Wong are TOP NOTCH.! You are If they were in my back yard I would t be traveling anywhere for a hair transplant! Jo over there is great. Call them up and ask for him! IMO...I would get on Propecia and Rogaine yesterday!

Good Luck!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Even though they are right in your own back yard, I would still recommend you consult with several doctors (via Skype if you're not willing to travel at this time). Also, are you sure you want to do FUT (strip) vs FUE because H&W is known for their FUT work. I had FUT (not there) so I'm not trying to start a FUT vs FUE debate, but it is something to seriously think about as you move forward.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

If you don't know about FUE, then you still have a lot of research to do.

I'd suggest you start here with the caveat that the thread was started by a person here who is pro-FUE, so it might be a little one-sided:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169499-pros-cons-fue-myths-dispelled.html

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018