What is the Post Operative Care After HT Like ?

Yep thats what even I am fearing about, my scalp has become so greasy, oily and dirty right now that I feel like going under a shower right now, and more one month would be like killing myself. Right, even I am worried about the same thing, Bacterial Infection especially in the Donor area if I dont take a head wash on the donor area and clean it ! This is getting confusing !!

its only natural to be concerned, but use a saline spray or mineral water every day gently and you will be fine

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

But we're all talking here about the potential for a graft to come out and if it did you'd have some blood and would probably know it, correct? The showering thing isn't about graft survival assuming they all stay in?

I went to one of the top recommended docs and their instructions say a full strength shower is ok after 5 days, which I did. Now you guys have me worried that wasn't a good idea.

Regardless of when you start taking normal showers you still should be washing your hair starting the day after the surgery using baby shampoo and warm water in something like a coffee cup. I hear a lot of you guys are talking about it like not washing your hair at all and that is a bad idea and will most likely lead to infection. When people are talking about waiting 5 days- 2 weeks i hope they are talking about normal showering and not hair washing completely.

What I did was buy two spray bottles at the dollar store and filled one with soapy water and one with plain water. This allowed me to easily wash and rinse my head. I did this for 2 weeks per Dr. Rahal's instructions and then after 2 weeks started showering normally.

Yep thats what even I am fearing about, my scalp has become so greasy, oily and dirty right now that I feel like going under a shower right now, and more one month would be like killing myself. Right, even I am worried about the same thing, Bacterial Infection especially in the Donor area if I dont take a head wash on the donor area and clean it ! This is getting confusing !!

You should be washing your head and should have starting the day after surgery. You just don't want to do it under the pressure of the shower head or touch the grafts. See my post above for what I did. As far as the donor closure you should be washing that with no fear of causing harm, get in there with your hands and some gentle baby shampoo and scrub it as much as you can tolerate.

Did your doctor not give you any post op instructions? If not I would suggest following the instructions I posted on the first page from Dr. Rahal.

What does one exactly do in gentle shower and gentle shampooing, is there anything called as gentle shower without rubbing the grafts ?? In the first place ??

You want to take gentle shampoo like baby shampoo mix it with water in a cup or a spray bottle. Cover your scalp with it, but don't touch or rub the scalp. Wash with clean water and then let it air dry. Do this twice a day until you resume normal showering. You're also going to want to apply vitamin E oil or whatever your doctor suggests to the recipient area and something like polysporin to the donor closure. It is also a good idea to spray the recipeint area with a saline solution every couple of hours to keep it moist.

Who was your doctor?

Edited by greatjob

excellent advice greatjob, i too would like to know who the doctor was as all of this should have been laid out in detail on the post op instruction sheet.

4510 FUSS Dr Feriduni December 2012

2350 FUSS Dr Feriduni December 2013

HT 1:Total Grafts 4510: Singles 715, Doubles 2123, Triples 1369, Quads 303 ( 10,280 Hairs )

HT 2:Total Grafts 2352: Singles 350, Doubles 1601, Triples 401, ( 4,755 Hairs )

Wow. Some good advice mixed with some complete nonsense!

I think you had FUE with a well known Dr in India. These instructions may be of use:

After FUE Hair Transplant Surgery & Post-op Instructions | Bernstein Medical

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Funny the Bernstein instructions say to shower next day and Rahal says 2 weeks. Pretty significant difference.

No one is saying to forego showers for two weeks. Dr. Rahal and any other poster who is saying a patient should wait 2 weeks post-op before resuming NORMAL showering activity is stating just that. NORMAL. As in direct contact with non-diluted shampoo, massaging your scalp, full water pressure, etc. Read greatjob's posts again. They're saying avoid contact with full water pressure and direct contact from your hands in the recipient area for approximately 2 weeks. Even Dr. Bernstein said:

"...normal shampooing, brushing and hair care can be resumed after ten days since..."
NORMAL.

Like greatjob advised, I used a nice sized 6-8oz plastic cup during the first few weeks for "shampooing." I would take a shower with the shower head at angle so far down that it would not even reach my head. I would mix gentle shampoo in said cup of water, shaken not stirred, and slowly pour it over the recipient area. I even used my splayed hand over the mouth of the cup so it would be a nice slow flow of sudsy water. I then repeated this process with fresh water to wash it out multiple times till I was satisfied. Note I never touched the grafts.

After the first 4 days or so I then started applying shampoo to the back of my head (donor) and VERY GENTLY washed said donor, still making sure the recipient was never under the direct stream of the shower, still using the cup method. Even after 2 weeks (once the staples were removed) I still shielded the recipient from the direct stream by using my splaying hand to shield and "filter" water to that zone. I only skipped ONE shower, and that was the morning after the transplant.

Wow. Some good advice mixed with some complete nonsense!

I think you had FUE with a well known Dr in India. These instructions may be of use:

After FUE Hair Transplant Surgery & Post-op Instructions | Bernstein Medical

Well, the Post Operative Instrcutions Booklet that I have been given talks more clearly about the care for the 2 weeks post op which is avoiding direct shower, There is nothing mentioned in it on when can I resume Nomral showering. I made it a point to ask to the Doctor when can I freely, absolutely without any fear of "oh my god what if my grafts get dislodged" like a free bird :rolleyes: have a shower and he said 1 Month. But people just before me, who have got their HT Done, have already started taking a direct shower after 2 weeks. The problem is because the Post OP Booklet does not mention anything very categorily about when can you have a direct shower ! It talks about care only till 2 weeks which is just cleaning your grafts not showering it.

Well, the Post Operative Instrcutions Booklet that I have been given talks more clearly about the care for the 2 weeks post op which is avoiding direct shower, There is nothing mentioned in it on when can I resume Nomral showering. I made it a point to ask to the Doctor when can I freely, absolutely without any fear of "oh my god what if my grafts get dislodged" like a free bird :rolleyes: have a shower and he said 1 Month. But people just before me, who have got their HT Done, have already started taking a direct shower after 2 weeks. The problem is because the Post OP Booklet does not mention anything very categorily about when can you have a direct shower ! It talks about care only till 2 weeks which is just cleaning your grafts not showering it.

Well then follow your doctors post-op instructions.

Again who is your doctor?

Dr Bhatti has a very very strict 14 day program, you must stick to it, and yes there is mention of NORMAL showering, "no normal showering for 14 days", you can wear a shower cap and shower that way, but just avoid getting your head wet.

Dr Bhatti has a very very strict 14 day program, you must stick to it, and yes there is mention of NORMAL showering, "no normal showering for 14 days", you can wear a shower cap and shower that way, but just avoid getting your head wet.

Don't think I have missed it, Nevertheless, can you send me a PM of the screenshot mentioning that ?

sorry i can't, all that stuff is thrown out ages ago,

My HT is very recent than yours, and I am holding all the reading stuff that they have to give in my hand right now and there is nothing mentioned in that of a direct shower, so it is verbal information given to different people at different time. I have not been verbally told anything of a direct shower after 14 days !!

Too much pressure can potentially dislodge some grafts if you are within say 1-5 days post-op. After that, the pressure should not be an issue.

Also be careful that the temp is not too hot...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Great advice , Ill need in a few weeks after my surgery with Dr. Arocha

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture

My HT is sch on Dec 28 ( dr bhatti ) i would love to hear ur experience both Ht and travel, how may grafts , wht was per graft cost and which hotel u stayed in etc ..

go to my home page I did a lengthly write up about my Dr Bhatti experience, you will be fine its a long journey but worth it. :)