What is the Post Operative Care After HT Like ?

Hi Guys,

Can somebody please post a quick description on how and what is the immediate and short term till 2 weeks or so, post operative care after a Hair Transplant. is it very tedious and straineous ?

Thanks in Advance.

It's a pain. Main thing is keeping head and scar clean. Frequent daily spraying with saline and washing twice daily. Plus, applying ointment on scar. Taking it easy with no heavy lifting and depending on size of procedure, you will likely look aweful.

But it's all worth it in the end :)

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

It's a pain. Main thing is keeping head and scar clean. Frequent daily spraying with saline and washing twice daily. Plus, applying ointment on scar. Taking it easy with no heavy lifting and depending on size of procedure, you will likely look aweful.

But it's all worth it in the end :)

So this spraying saline daily and applying ointment on the donor area how many days does this needs to go on ?

This will give you a good post-operative breakdown of what to expect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoWsGsI3JGE

I didn't find the first two weeks that difficult. You have to spray on the grafcyte spray, take the meds (pain relief and prednisone for anti inflammation), not exercise, wear a hat, wash your hair (I did it once a day). The staples/sutures come out after 10 days and then you just wait, and wait, and wait....

You won't be winning any beauty contests for a while. I'm at week 15 and had a lot of shock loss so I'm still wearing a hat. The hair lost to shock loss should mostly grow back, but I think it will be Christmas before I can feel OK to go out without my hat, and some time after this until my hair looks better than the day before my HT (if it all goes to plan!). Here's a good website page to explain what to expect after a hair transplant: After FUT Hair Transplant Surgery & Post-op Instructions | Bernstein Medical

So this spraying saline daily and applying ointment on the donor area how many days does this needs to go on ?

Depends on the clinic but in general 2 weeks. Some don't require the saline spray; just washing twice daily.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

It's a bit of a hassle, but obviously well worth the trouble. My main focus was to just be very careful to not disturb the newly planted grafts. Very gentle in shower, with no direct shower spray, very careful about not bumping head on shower-head or anything else like getting in and out of car, careful pulling on and off pull-over shirts or sweaters....ect. Having a travel neck pillow helps with sleeping and while sitting in a chair to keep grafts from bumping anything.

Travel+Neck+Pillow.jpg

If you have FUT once the staples come out it all seems to get better as far as comfort, pain, showering, everything. I was not given any kind of spray to use post-op. You may experience some post-op itching, and the best thing I found was to get the aloe kleenex tissues and gently wave one back and forth over the itch. It really soothes the itch and is so light that it does not bother the grafts. After about 3 weeks I went and bought some vitamin E oil and would pour that over my head....yeah it's a bit messy....but helps the itch and also I would think is good for the scalp and healing. I would leave the vitamin E oil on for an hour or so. And lastly if you are taking any kind of RX painkillers for more than 3 days buy a stool softener like Phillips' Stool Softener or Dulcoease or just might end up in the emergency room like I did!

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I will most likely do a FUE.

Ok well everything pretty much still applies except the part about staples.

How many grafts are you going to try and get?

And how old are you?

So I'm going to go ahead and post an attachment of Dr. Rahal's post op instructions, because over the years on the forums I have seen countless patients from Dr. Rahal experience early growth and forum members commenting on the magic formula that Dr. Rahal has to produce this early growth. From my HT prior to Dr. Rahal I can say that his post op instructions are quite detailed, intense, and conservative which I believe beyond a doubt contribute to the many cases of early growth seen coming out of the Rahal clinic.

Agenteye, if the clinic has a problem with me posting the post op instructions just hit me up brotha and I will take it down. I just think from all of my years researching hair transplants, Dr. Rahal has the most definitive well thought out post-op instructions leading to early growth and graft survival in the industry I have seen.

PostOp Instructions FUT.pdf

Edited by greatjob

So I'm going to go ahead and post an attachment of Dr. Rahal's post op instructions, because over the years on the forums I have seen countless patients from Dr. Rahal experience early growth and forum members commenting on the magic formula that Dr. Rahal has to produce this early growth. From my HT prior to Dr. Rahal I can say that his post op instructions are quite detailed, intense, and conservative which I believe beyond a doubt contribute to the many cases of early growth seen coming out of the Rahal clinic.

Agenteye, if the clinic has a problem with me posting the post op instructions just hit me up brotha and I will take it down. I just think from all of my years researching hair transplants, Dr. Rahal has the most definitive well thought out post-op instructions leading to early growth and graft survival in the industry I have seen.

Fantastic Job Mate ! This is Excellent stuff...Appreciate your kind gesture :D

One thing I didn't understand in this document is sleep at 45 degrees what does that mean ? I mean what position is it? I generally have a habit of sleeping on my stomach with my stomach facing down on the bed so does 45 degrees mean sleeping sideways on one side like your one hand/elbow touching the bed ?

Edited by augustya

One thing I didn't understand in this document is sleep at 45 degrees what does that mean ? I mean what position is it?

0935b4b8-0956-4bd1-b7fd-8c7e538fcfb1_zps941824dc.jpg

When will you take hair transplant surgery, you are encouraged to sleep with your head elevated on pillows. Medication is given for sleep and pain or antibiotics are generally not required. The morning after your hair transplant surgery, you will remove the headband and shower and shampoo your scalp three times – just for the first day. These few steps gives you proper care during HT.

• 1 month later...

It's funny how much the instructions are different between different doctors. The SMG video in this thread says to use any good shampoo other than Head and Shoulders. My doctor's instructions specifically say to use Head and Shoulders. Rahal says don't shower or touch the grafts for for 2 weeks! My doctor says ok to shower at 5 days and to start soaking the crusts off in 7 days. Some say vitamin E oil while others don't, etc...

You'd think they would all go to a hair restoration conference sometime and agree on these things. Makes me wonder if there's as much art as science to this?

Gobble,

I think you hit the nail on the head. Medicine and surgery, in general, is just as much an art as it is a science. This phenomenon is even more apparent in a field like hair transplant surgery. All physicians and surgeons learn the "tried and true" textbook knowledge, follow the up-to-date evidence-based practices in the journals, and attend the big conferences, but still find the best outcomes by "tweaking" the guidelines and making changes based upon years of patient interaction. In the end, they do this because it creates the best results for their patients.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

So who is right? Do you really need to wait 2 weeks before shampooing in a regular shower? That seems a little extreme.

My Doctor (Dr Bhatti) also says to wait 14 days before showering your head, but during that 2 week period you are required to regularly at first use saline water from a spray bottle then mineral water again from a spray bottle. You can shower just don't get your head wet, its not extreme at all. The two week period goes by quite quickly.

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

i could shampoo 3/4 days after with the shampoo supplied by the clinic, i find the aftercare very straight forward

4510 FUSS Dr Feriduni December 2012

2350 FUSS Dr Feriduni December 2013

HT 1:Total Grafts 4510: Singles 715, Doubles 2123, Triples 1369, Quads 303 ( 10,280 Hairs )

HT 2:Total Grafts 2352: Singles 350, Doubles 1601, Triples 401, ( 4,755 Hairs )

I have never heard of 1 month before showering or washing your head, seems very unhygienic to me and very susceptible to bacterial infection

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

I have never heard of 1 month before showering or washing your head, seems very unhygienic to me and very susceptible to bacterial infection

Yep thats what even I am fearing about, my scalp has become so greasy, oily and dirty right now that I feel like going under a shower right now, and more one month would be like killing myself. Right, even I am worried about the same thing, Bacterial Infection especially in the Donor area if I dont take a head wash on the donor area and clean it ! This is getting confusing !!

From all I've read - all doctors concede that the grafts are not permanent and can be damaged or dislodged the first 10 days after a HT - therefore the 2 week waiting period to not wash your head under a shower is not only reasonable but medically necessary