New family doc / Avodart ....

Dewayne

Alright, so I finally changed family docs for a couple of reasons: 1) tired of long waits in 12 physician office, and 2) I wanted to try a D.O. because, after much research, I believe they offer some advantages as a primary care doctor.

Anyway, he suggested I switch from the Proscar (finasteride) to the Avodart. He said studies have shown an incredible percentage with growth, and this drug has fewer side effects.

Anyway, what does it cost? What do you all think?

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Alright, so I finally changed family docs for a couple of reasons: 1) tired of long waits in 12 physician office, and 2) I wanted to try a D.O. because, after much research, I believe they offer some advantages as a primary care doctor.

Anyway, he suggested I switch from the Proscar (finasteride) to the Avodart. He said studies have shown an incredible percentage with growth, and this drug has fewer side effects.

Anyway, what does it cost? What do you all think?

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Dewayne,

Avodart is certainly more potent than Propecia and blocks both type I and type II 5-alpha-reductase enzymes. Thus, it inhibits more DHT than Propecia.

However, I'm not so sure where your doctor is getting the information about fewer side effects. In fact, the potential side effects are very similar and I've heard the opposite, that the risk of side effects are higher due to taking a more potent medication.

In my opinion, check with a few doctors on this and do your research before considering switching. However, if finasteride is working for you, why fix what isn't broken?

Best wishes,

Bill

I agree, don't see the point messing around with it. I worry about taking propecia, never mind avodart.

I've seen people switch on other forums and shed lots of hair, not always gaining it back either.

Like Bill says, if you still thinking of going ahead, do more research before making up your mind. icon_smile.gif

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

I used proscar for 6 yrs with pretty good results. One HT doctor convinced me to try Avodart. Horrible mistake. After 2 months I had huge side effects. I went right back to proscar and stopped Avodart completely. 1 yr later the sides finally went away. Not saying this would happen to everyone but it was just my experience. If you decide to go for it I wish you better luck than I had.

I inquired with Dr. Feller about switching to Avodart. I read a lot of positives on the web about it so I figured I'd ask.

Aparently with Avodart you take the chance of being non-responisive and actually going through irreversible shedding. I am under the impression that this is why it did not pass FDA approval as a hair loss drug. I don't want to risk it so I am going to stick with the fin.

DDO3- I think if you feel more comfortable with the fin, you should stick with it. But I am curious with the "non-responder/irreversable shedding". Was that something that Dr. Feller discussed with you or something you discovered through your own research.

Hunter

It seems all doctors have a difference of opinion. HW seem to prefer avodart (IMO). What I understood, from previous research, was dutasteride (aka avodart) never proceeded to phase 3 for hair loss, due to Glaxo smith kline not seeing enough of a monetary reward in going forward. The drug does not work for everybody and I'm sure there have been negative results. I guess it can be like the marines, either your best friend or your worst freakin' nightmare.

Peace out!