3D printing: A Small Step Forward

Spanker

Text:

By applying a microfiber fabrication technology for engineering different cell types across the three dimensions, the IBN research team says it was able to fabricate a 3D hair follicle model that mimics the size and cell arrangement of a real hair follicle by combining two types of hair cells—dermal papilla cells and keratinocytes—within a translucent fibrous matrix. The IBN researchers found that the cells in their hair follicle-like structures switched on genes that are usually active during the hair growth stage, and, when transplanted into mice, grew further into natural-looking hair structures.

"Measuring the diameter of a strand of hair, our hair follicle-like structure exhibits similar cell behavior as real hair follicles," Andrew Wan, Ph.D., IBN's team leader and principal research scientist, said in a statement. "In our model, the hair cells are implanted into very fine and transparent fibers, which can be easily examined under the microscope unlike conventional models, making them ideal for drug testing applications."

IBN speculates that, if commercialized, this technology could be used by pharmaceutical companies in the drug discovery stage to screen potential promoters or inhibitors of hair formation.

"We hope that our invention would lead to novel ways to treat hair loss, which affects millions of people worldwide," commented IBN executive director Jackie Y. Ying. Ph.D.

"Follicular dermal papilla structures by organization of epithelial and mesenchymal cells in interfacial polyelectrolyte complex fibers" is slated to appear in the September 2013 issue of Biomaterals.

Long story short, it looks by through making 3D hair follicles, drugs and other treatments could make it through the first stage or two of development faster, as they are able to see more immediate results in a lab setting. It this is put to use, it could speed up the process of fining future treatments or cures, so, good news to me. :)

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I thought u r firm believer of fut exclusively

1. I don't know why you would think that. FUE has turned into a fine way to transplant with the right doctor.

2. What does that have to do with this post at all?

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

By applying a microfiber fabrication technology for engineering different cell types across the three dimensions, the IBN research team says it was able to fabricate a 3D hair follicle model that mimics the size and cell arrangement of a real hair follicle by combining two types of hair cells—dermal papilla cells and keratinocytes—within a translucent fibrous matrix. The IBN researchers found that the cells in their hair follicle-like structures switched on genes that are usually active during the hair growth stage, and, when transplanted into mice, grew further into natural-looking hair structures.

"Measuring the diameter of a strand of hair, our hair follicle-like structure exhibits similar cell behavior as real hair follicles," Andrew Wan, Ph.D., IBN's team leader and principal research scientist, said in a statement. "In our model, the hair cells are implanted into very fine and transparent fibers, which can be easily examined under the microscope unlike conventional models, making them ideal for drug testing applications."

IBN speculates that, if commercialized, this technology could be used by pharmaceutical companies in the drug discovery stage to screen potential promoters or inhibitors of hair formation.

"We hope that our invention would lead to novel ways to treat hair loss, which affects millions of people worldwide," commented IBN executive director Jackie Y. Ying. Ph.D.

"Follicular dermal papilla structures by organization of epithelial and mesenchymal cells in interfacial polyelectrolyte complex fibers" is slated to appear in the September 2013 issue of Biomaterals.

Come on science!

Very cool! It sounds similar to some of the new technology with growing dermal papilla cells in a 3-D spherical model. I'm wondering why they are promoting it as something for testing new drugs and not as a treatment in and of itself? Thanks for sharing!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

"We hope that our invention would lead to novel ways to treat hair loss, which affects millions of people worldwide"

Hope it indeed leads to new treatment options for all of us.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Very cool! It sounds similar to some of the new technology with growing dermal papilla cells in a 3-D spherical model. I'm wondering why they are promoting it as something for testing new drugs and not as a treatment in and of itself? Thanks for sharing!

My question exactly.....

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily