Did I poison my new HT? Worried!

Hey Guys, So its been 10 days since my HT and I'm worried I may of had a freak accident that will negatively effect the HT outcome.

So I was driving my car quite a ways from home when the radiator hose burst and I and was forced to stop on the side of the road and repair it. While repairing the hose a large drop of anti-freeze fell right onto the front of the newly transplanted area. Having worked on mechanical things my whole life I didn't think much of it and pored a bottle of water over my head to wash it off. I then worked another 15 min and once I was finished I looked in the mirror and say that 2 more drops of anti-freeze and fallen on the top front area of the transplant and had been there a bit. Again I washed off the coolant with a full bottle of water and started to drive home.

As I drove I started to think about that fact that anti-freeze is known as a toxic chemical and I started to freak out. I was 4 hours drive from home so I stopped at the nearest truck stop (about 1 hour later). When I arrived I noticed some coolant residue was still on my scalp. I showered for about 20 min and washed and rinsed my hair thoroughly to be sure it was totally free of the chemical. This what poison control recommended online.

The anti-freeze I use has Ethylene Glycol in it and is know to be very toxic and damage the major organs. I'm worried that it may have been absorbed on the pores and damaged or even killed the new follicles. I haven been able to fin d any info that it would kill or damage hair but it can irritate skin, and of course is dangerous when absorbed.

It this point(1 day later) the area looks and feels completely normal and there was never any signs or irritation or damage. No redness, itching, burning, or hair falling out. What do you guys think? Any doctors or toxicologist want to weigh in? I really hope things are ok...it would be catastrophic if this were to damage my result.

Thanks guys!

Sorry to hear this mate!! What a f::::r!! In my opinion but I'm no dr, unless the area looked red or burnt the Nxt day u should be fine!! Iv spilt chemicals on my arm and within. Seconds it's gone red and very itchy, if that was on your hair then you'd know about it, but from the founds of it, I wouldn't worry to much, but I would contact your dr about it if only for some professional reassurance!!

10 days is pretty safe. I really doubt you've done anything to the new hair that is worse to any other hair it would have landed on. Then again, I'm no Dr. However, The general consensus is that after day 7-10, your hair is pretty robust and that it will be hard to kill them... Stay positive. Breathe in, breathe out. It's also a good sign that there's no irritation.....

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I do feel better now that the scabs are all off and I can't see any noticeable difference to the areas that weren't exposed. I did contact my surgeon and should here back from him today. Any doctors on here that would like to comment?

At 10 days the grafts are pretty safe and should not have been harmed as the skin has healed over by this time. I would imagine that the scalp would have shown some adverse reaction by now if it was going to.

I would hope you have got away with it, of course no one has ever done any research before on anti freeze and newly transplanted grafts, you may just have been the first to do so!

Try to relax as imo it would be the skin that would also be irritated if there was a problem.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Hey guys, So here is a little update. Things are looking pretty good, at least no bald areas or damaged skin. Here are a couple of images. The arrows are pointing to the two areas that were affected. There may be a little bit of inconsistency in these areas compared to the other transplanted area. What do you guys think? Nothing to be worried about?

Dr. Hakan has had me take Vitamin B along with using a Almond Oil and Milk Protein conditioner by Clinic.

5b32da1d6ca20_IMG_0988-small.jpg.2f2bd274a6fc072d82486bc3dec4bc23.jpg

5b32da1d8d39f_IMG_0988-smallarrows.jpg.09b0146eb194b43eb9ca3df32050fb2e.jpg

Glad to see there appears to be no damage done. Grow well and take care!

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Cool all looks good!

Is the almond oil and milk protein conditioner for your particular case and accident, or for all patients?

Was curious about that.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

At 10 days post op, the follicles are well secured few millimeter underneath the dermis so long as the coolant didn't burn the surface of the skin, your grafts are fine.