Is it okay for me to get FUE? Aged 23, receding corners

I'm 23 and I started receding in the corners when I was about 20 years old. I remember when I was 18 or 19 and reading forums of men worrying about receding hairline and bald patches and thinking to myself, thank god I have a set of full hair. Well, not long after that, it started. It first began on the right side corner, but I was able to cover it up by brushing my hair to side. But then when I decided to get another haircut last year, I lost some more in the other corner.

It got so bad, that last year I decided there was no way I could ever cut my hair down to a 2 or a 3. Instead I grow it quite long in order to disguise it, as you'll be able to see in the pics.

I've done a lot of research and since I'm from the UK and read the views on here, I know that I need to avoid UK Surgeons. Couldn't careless about articles from celebrities and the fact that many of the hair clinics are in posh/expensive parts of London. I know the best are in Belgium and North America, with about 3 surgeons who I rate highly. Dr Basinga, Dr Feriduni and Dr Diep. I quite like Dr Rahal, but I'm put off by the fact he uses a machine. Dr Diep is the one I'm most likely to get FUE done with and his works are stunning. I've watched hundreds of his youtube videos of patients after patients with fantastic results. Plus he explains how each patient is different based on their head size, ethnicity and type of hair they have.

Basically, I don't want to take pills and put stuff on my hair on a daily basis for the rest of my life and I want my old hair line back. I read about rogaine and propecia and the side affects of both put me off as well, along with the fact you're supposed to use/take them daily.

My main point is, is having FUE too young at 23? I'm looking to have it done in September or October, once I have my consultation done with Dr Diep and he gives me a quote on the price/grafts. Furthermore, should I take propecia or rogaine now for example, despite their side affects? Should I take it after my FUE surgery? Or should I leave those products alone as I have decided to have FUE done and that should be sufficient?

Please have a look at the pics. They illustrate how bad my problem is and in one pic, it shows how well I can hide my receding corners :)

5b32d99450afc_forum1.jpg.50e38a66177546590fe2a8ff78b9f4db.jpg

5b32d9945d02a_forum2.jpg.074c99c27a5369f9df1259da957761cf.jpg

5b32d99468472_forum3.jpg.beabe35b10608c6ebc996a8da4275229.jpg

5b32d994735fa_forum4.jpg.4580670266b9ffad13ece3fba69120c0.jpg

5b32d9947e959_forum5.jpg.77bbdfe5040ad3679c88bbdd60d112ef.jpg

5b32d9948e847_forum6.jpg.b6a759e7005f06f4bdf60f9029c466bc.jpg

dlfjkf.jpg.6fe255d616254900061229331b020228.jpg

Be careful of Dr Diep I've seen picutres where he extracts hairs outside of the safe zone, which can lead to potential problems in the future. I highly doubt that you're going to be a good candidate for a hair transplant by a respectable surgeon due to the small amount of hairloss that you actually have. If you were older, and had your hairloss under control, it would be a different story. But they just don't know how much hair you're going to lose and don't want to put you in a boat that you may regret later. If you were willing to go on medicine, you may be a candidate in a year or so.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Hello Bazancourt. I am 23 and I am currently 8 days post op with Dr Hakan Doganay. Like you I didn't want to take pills or be spraying stuff in my hair forever, so the only way I could do that was to have an operation and be prepared for more in the future if my hair was to recede past the point it is at now. Fingers crossed it doesn't.

Either way, Sept/Oct isn't that far away so make sure you research LOTS before booking. I have been researching for the past 3 years and thought I knew 90% of what to expect, but I am learning this week that there are still things that I did not know.

Be careful of Dr Diep I've seen picutres where he extracts hairs outside of the safe zone, which can lead to potential problems in the future. I highly doubt that you're going to be a good candidate for a hair transplant by a respectable surgeon due to the small amount of hairloss that you actually have. If you were older, and had your hairloss under control, it would be a different story. But they just don't know how much hair you're going to lose and don't want to put you in a boat that you may regret later. If you were willing to go on medicine, you may be a candidate in a year or so.

I looked at his recent videos, and he seems to take them out within the safe zone. The thing is, I can't wait till I'm older and having seen his work, he can do brilliant work for those who are basically bold across the top of their head. I doubt/hope my hair doesn't go that far back. Plus it's just the corner, rather than the full hairline going back. I've seen pics of those who have had less hair loss than me getting FUE done to fill in the corners.

Plus let's say I recede more in the hair behind my new FUE hair, it's easier to disguise it with longer hair than to disguise receding hairline/corners. Plus I'll hope to fill them in as I get older.

Hello Bazancourt. I am 23 and I am currently 8 days post op with Dr Hakan Doganay. Like you I didn't want to take pills or be spraying stuff in my hair forever, so the only way I could do that was to have an operation and be prepared for more in the future if my hair was to recede past the point it is at now. Fingers crossed it doesn't.

Either way, Sept/Oct isn't that far away so make sure you research LOTS before booking. I have been researching for the past 3 years and thought I knew 90% of what to expect, but I am learning this week that there are still things that I did not know.

It seems we're in the same boat :)

I've done a lot of research this summer. Read blogs after blogs and a ton of threads on this forum. Plus I made sure I researched the best surgeon and most importantly, he had to be recommended by this forum.

If I hadn't done my research, then I'd probably be getting it done in London or somewhere else for a cheaper price. Both which are massive no. The only thing I'm still reading up on is what happens after the procedure. For some the new hair seems to grow after 2 months, for others after 4 months and of course I know that the full result won't be achieved until after a year,

If I were you, I would make life easier and go to Turkey. They have some incredible FUE surgeons there and it would be a lot more affordable. Just be aware that you may need to take a conservative approach as you may end up losing a lot more hair.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Bazancourt, have you sent pics to the three clinics that you mentioned? Doing online consultations with them will put you in a very well-informed position.

Before narrowing down my clinics, I think I did online consultations with about 10 clinics in different parts of the globe. Even though I had my heart set on FUE, I wanted the opinions of respected FUT surgeons if even to get their view on graft numbers etc.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

If I were you, I would make life easier and go to Turkey. They have some incredible FUE surgeons there and it would be a lot more affordable. Just be aware that you may need to take a conservative approach as you may end up losing a lot more hair.

Thanks for the advice and yes I agree, the conservative approach is better rather than a more aggressive one.

Bazancourt, have you sent pics to the three clinics that you mentioned? Doing online consultations with them will put you in a very well-informed position.

Before narrowing down my clinics, I think I did online consultations with about 10 clinics in different parts of the globe. Even though I had my heart set on FUE, I wanted the opinions of respected FUT surgeons if even to get their view on graft numbers etc.

I've sent the pics to Dr Diep and I'm having a phone consultation with him tomorrow.

With the fact that you are so young and not willing to take preventative medication I don't think you are a suitable candidate for a hair transplant. I think what you are considering may be a big mistake. You are talking about restoring an essentially juvenile hairline. With loss at a young age it is likely that you may end up at a high NW level, and without taking preventative meds, further loss is pretty much guaranteed. If you transplant a relatively straight hairline now and progress to a high NW level the chances are you will not have the donor to keep up with the loss. I know this isn't what you want to hear, and you are free to proceed if you want, however if I was a doctor I would not operate on you unless you are one of the rare people with say 8000+ grafts available via fue.

With the fact that you are so young and not willing to take preventative medication I don't think you are a suitable candidate for a hair transplant. I think what you are considering may be a big mistake. You are talking about restoring an essentially juvenile hairline. With loss at a young age it is likely that you may end up at a high NW level, and without taking preventative meds, further loss is pretty much guaranteed. If you transplant a relatively straight hairline now and progress to a high NW level the chances are you will not have the donor to keep up with the loss. I know this isn't what you want to hear, and you are free to proceed if you want, however if I was a doctor I would not operate on you unless you are one of the rare people with say 8000+ grafts available via fue.

Agreed

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

It doesn't sound to me like Bazancourt is unwilling to take preventative medication, so much as he is "put off" by the thought of it. In his original post, he later asks:

"Furthermore, should I take propecia or rogaine now for example, despite their side affects? Should I take it after my FUE surgery? Or should I leave those products alone as I have decided to have FUE done and that should be sufficient?"

In answer to your question asked as the title of your thread, Bazancourt, NO! I don't think it is ok for you to get FUE just yet. I think you are still a bit too young to have a restoration procedure; until you begin preventative meds and see how you respond to them. I do think you will be a good candidate for a restoration later on down the road to address the recession in your temples, however.

In answer to your question that I reposted up above, Bazancourt, YES, I think you should get started on Propecia (Finasteride) and Rogaine (maybe), and stick with them for a full year before you consider a restoration. I think there are so many people who naturally worry about side effects that may or may not even affect him/her. I was very worried to start the medications because of said side-effects, but fortunately I have had zero issues. If you decide that you are having negative effects from the drugs....you can get off of them and your side effects will dissipate.

Keep in mind that Rogaine is most effective in the crown area, and not the temples where you are experiencing loss! Being as you didn't shoot the top of your head in your photos, I can't tell if this is an area of concern for you, but I'm guessing not. You may be able to skip the Rogaine altogether for the time being. I would just start out with 1mg of Propecia/Fin daily, and see how you respond to it for starters.

I think any ethical surgeon would help you (honestly) decide if you are a good candidate for a restoration, but again.....try the Propecia for a year before you spend the money on a transplant.

As far as FUE goes, you said that you quite like Dr. Rahal, but you are put-off because he doesn't use a manual punch?! He does amazing FUE work.....and in all honestly.....it is the physician performing the FUE that gets a great result with the tool they choose to use, NOT the tool itself. I know people are consistently concerned with a higher rate of transection with a motorized tool, but only if the doctor performs the punch incorrectly. Therefore, I wouldn't cross Dr. Rahal off your list just yet.

At any rate, you listed some excellent physicians.....and there will certainly be some good options available to you when you are ready to have your procedure. Good luck, and keep us posted.

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Agreed.

I also thnk you have lost more hair than just the corners. It seems to be thinning throughout the frontal 3rd.

You have to give the meds a try before even contemplating surgery at such a young age.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

It doesn't sound to me like Bazancourt is unwilling to take preventative medication, so much as he is "put off" by the thought of it. In his original post, he later asks:

"Furthermore, should I take propecia or rogaine now for example, despite their side affects? Should I take it after my FUE surgery? Or should I leave those products alone as I have decided to have FUE done and that should be sufficient?"

I was more referring to these comments he made:

Basically, I don't want to take pills and put stuff on my hair on a daily basis for the rest of my life and I want my old hair line back. I read about rogaine and propecia and the side affects of both put me off as well, along with the fact you're supposed to use/take them daily.

Or should I leave those products alone as I have decided to have FUE done and that should be sufficient?

Far too often I see potential patients make comments saying that they don't want to take meds for the rest of their lives and instead would rather just get a hair transplant and be done with it, not realizing that a hair transplant is not a cure for baldness since hair loss is progressive, and that is what his posts were sounding like to me. But anyways, like you have noted, even if he is willing get on fin and minox I don't think he should have a transplant at such a young age. I think he should get on fin and minox, and if he can tolerate it he should stay on it and reevaluate his situation in a few years.

I agree with many on the board. At 23 you're still quite hound and it already looks like your forelock is at risk of further loss. If you begin now without stabilizing your hair loss you may end up playing catch up. Just think, you fill in the corners then one year later when those grafts have grown in you've lost more hair (hair loss IS progressive) and now you've got holes to fill in. At your age it's likely (at least we must assume the worst and hope for the best) that you'll progress quite a bit. It may be wiser to try propecia and rogaine to stop loss and being only 23 their is a greater chance of re growth.

I'd try that for a year especially since you can conceal well right now. Then reasses at the year mark.

• 6 months later...