Hiv and hair transplant

Hello guys... I am hiv positive and I'd like know if is possible have an hair transplant...

I mean is there any problem with the doctors to have a patient hiv+?

what about policy in Turkey for this?

With this thread I'd like give more answers to people that are in my same situation.

Thank you to all

Edited by Prometheus81

I believe it's fine.

The reason for the blood work is so that the doctor and his team can KNOW if you have HIV and therefore they need to do whatever they do to make sure they don't "catch it" (for want of a better term).

Could be wrong of course.....so sorry I can't give a definitive answer. I'm sure a doctor or a rep can.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Not all clinics will require blood work before surgery. A seasoned team takes all precautions...so in this day and age it shouldn't create a problem...however you should definitely notify the doctor....

You will be just fine!!

thanx guys... I was just asking this question cause I heard a guy in America that was denied the hair transplant cause he was hiv..

I think when u are under hiv medication your virus load is undetectable.. so the risk to take it is zero..

did any guy ask this question to some doctors yet?

thanx guys for the support

I do not believe that it would be a problem as long as you are asymptomatic, meaning, you are not at a stage where you are having problems with your immune system. I think that the worry would be more for pt than the clinic. However, I think anytime anyone has a communicable disease, the right thing to do is to inform the physician, whether it is a dentist or a surgeon.

Like it was stated above, medical professionals are going to practice like you do have something infectious, and like they themselves are infections too. Extreme measures go into sterile practice in the medical field.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 1 year later...

I had been looking forward for 4 months to go to Antalya,Turkey and spent loads of money ,i live in Germany.

When they found out i was HIV+ i was treated like i was contagious . They told me to leave the hospital in 30 min. They gave me a few option of where to go which accomodation to go to or go back to home and drive me to the airport .

I was devastated,sad and angry.

I have since given up the surgery . But if some one know of a clinic that would accept me ,i will be thrilled.

This subject has come up many times over they years. Generally speaking, there really are no "national guidelines" with the few exceptions where HIV is more prominent in the country's population. For example, there are countries in the African continent that have much higher cases/incidents of HIV individuals.

Clinics tend to form their own policies and protocols for treating HIV positive patients as they administer various forms of medical care regardless of the type of care being provided.

Several decades ago, when HIV positive individuals first impacted a significant portion of the US population, various clinics, hospitals, and other medical facilities developed protocols that prevented the spreading of the disease. This clearly did not imply that HIV patients were not able to receive the same level of medical care and treatments, quite the opposite.

Regarding HT clinics in the USA, many quickly adopted pre-op blood screening and that was in effect for about a decade or so. Then it seemed many got away from doing pre-op labs although some still do them.

Some clinics have their enrolled patients first complete a written disclosure which asks about being HIV positive. Some define their policy regarding HIV patients and ask that every patient complete the form "prior" to surgery, with their signatures being acknowledged.

So although I cannot speak for the country of Turkey, I can tell you that in the USA, you would have no problems finding many HT clinics that would provide you a procedure without any discrimination or exclusion. Back in the days when I used to work inside the clinics, I assisted probably no less than two dozen patients that were HIV positive.

And as was stated, the clinics, hospitals, and other medical facilities also have a legal obligation to inform and to also provide the appropriate protective clothing and gear to their employees and representatives.

You can also go online and look at each clinic's website to see if they have any protocols for HIV patients. You can also communicate with each clinic's staff ahead of time to get the clarity that you are seeking.

Best wishes to you and hope you get the answers you are seeking.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

So although I cannot speak for the country of Turkey, I can tell you that in the USA, you would have no problems finding many HT clinics that would provide you a procedure without any discrimination or exclusion. Back in the days when I used to work inside the clinics, I assisted probably no less than two dozen patients that were HIV positive.

And as was stated, the clinics, hospitals, and other medical facilities also have a legal obligation to inform and to also provide the appropriate protective clothing and gear to their employees and representatives.

There is actually no obligation (or right) for the hospital or clinic to inform even a health care worker that the pt is hiv pos if it is not relative to their care in many states.

You don't HAVE to tell anyone, but I think it's the right thing to do.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker,

I think you were misinterpreting my statement. I did in fact mean those cases that directly involved any particular staff who might run the risk of infection.

Obviously the policy would not imply a breach of the patient's privacy rights.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 5 months later...

i have had the same problem here , i have been turned down by numerous clinics in turkey poland and london of all places, im hiv positive too and yes i can understand there percausions but they just seem to come up with a lame excuse , its just down to ignorance and uneducated about the virus , these are ment to be doctors right? from what i heard yes usa is ment to be a good option

i have had the same problem here , i have been turned down by numerous clinics in turkey poland and london of all places, im hiv positive too and yes i can understand there percausions but they just seem to come up with a lame excuse , its just down to ignorance and uneducated about the virus , these are ment to be doctors right? from what i heard yes usa is ment to be a good option

I totally agree and hope you are able to find the right clinic whether in the US or elsewhere.

It is clearly an issue of lack of intelligence and proper protocol.

Gillenator

• 5 months later...

I have been following this thread...it seems to me that for all the new patients that are HIV NEGATIVE, they would like to avoid a clinic that accepts HIV Positive patients....and frankly, i tthink thats right...its a surgery involving contact with blood...we all know how, despite many precautions, it could be still slightly risky....dont you think? no offese to the HIV positive people, but i would think people should rightfully be worried about going to a clinic that accepts HIV positivie patients....

From what I have read HIV cannot survive outside the human body and you'd expect even the dodgiest clinic would sterilise their stuff... A dodgy GP once misdiagnosed me for positive so I did a lot of research on transmission. After switching doctors it turned out it was just an severe cold/flu that messed up my results.

What I'm wondering is would HIV meds affect growth post-op?? They are known to be harsh so patients using those meds may not be good candidates.

I'm not well versed in the legal matters of this or the health implications regarding surgery, but I would think that in the US, as long as there are no health risks to the patient for having the procedure, it would be illegal to deny service solely based on someone's HIV status. I'm sure other countries have different laws, but I find it hard to believe that this would happen in the States.

And as to the argument that other patients have a right to know if someone had surgery there that was HIV positive - You can almost guarantee that any clinic, hospital, dentist office, etc. you've ever been in has most likely had someone with HIV walking through those doors (especially if you live in a larger city). As was already mentioned, the medical team takes every single precautionary measure possible so as to not even risk the transmission of any disease to themselves or anyone else, so I wouldn't be concerned about this. Yes, it would be best for the doctor/surgeon to be made aware of anything transmissible, but I doubt they would be any more/less careful with any patient because of it.

I am most curious as to the question that ZeoRanger raised: Can someone who is HIV positive expect the same amount of growth post-op? Whether this be from the compromised immune system, or the medications, I wonder if there are studies done that show how/if the results are affected due to either of these factors.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56