So I went for a consultation at hairclub today...

And the lady seemed very pushy to say the least. An obvious sales person in my opinion. Plus I've read numerous bad reviews with hair club in general. Some of the results I've seen look great, but who knows. They insisted I did non-surgical which would be nice, but I kinda want something permanent so I can be done with it. Fortunately I live in the Twincities and have other options, I heard Shapiro is suppose to be good and the only negative reviews I read turned out to be someone in FL under the same name but no relation(kinda strange, not a common last name). I was also wondering about the sales tactics of hairclub, when I went in and they used a ultra powerful microscope on my scalp and it showed thinner in some areas than others. Is that normal or do they just make it appear you are going to loose my hair? My hair doesn't seemed to have changed in a long time(old pictures from years ago look the same). I want to make the right decision for myself to avoid a huge financial mistake, or a crappy hair job.

Avoid HC at all costs. Shapiro medical in Min is one of the best clinics in the world.

Really, this is an easy decision.

Shapiro in Fl. has no affiliation with those in Min. The one in Fl is a hack from what I hear.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Actually Shapiros cost are in line with most other clinics. In this field, being very good does not always equate to more expensive. In many cases, it is the exact opposite.

Good luck.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Stick with the high caliber doctors mate -after all, they are cutting into your head -wouldn't you want only the best for that?

I almost did Bosley (cause I didn't know better) and my experience sounds similar to yours - very pushy, and in my opinion, rude salestaff using a lot of fear tactics. I then asked them why they are using the same African American model in their ads for the past 10 years -they didn't like that lol. Their prices were also obscenely high and I left feeling utterly deflated.

Found this site which led me to Dr Keene, a full State away but highly qualified/accredited etc.. she did wonders with only 900 grafts and I'm only 2 1/2 months in.

Good luck to ya -Shapiro seems to be of the highest pedigree :)

That sounds awesome, yeah I expect a lot of scams out there with any kind of elective surgery. Weight loss scams are of the most wide spread, even though that is the cheapest thing you can generally fix yourself unless you're morbidly obese, but then that could probably get covered by insurance. Sales people like to use tactics to get you in. It's very annoying.

I flew around the world for surgery with doctor Feller.

If you're 30 mins at the most from such reputed doctors as Ron/Paul Shapiro then you'd be crazy to not at least see them for a consultation!

An inferior doctor trying to get trade based off the excellent reputation of the Shapiro brothers by stealing their name seems to be why the same uncommon name!

As you're so close you should definitely go and see them. Not necessarily have surgery with them - there's lots of factors that you'll discover from research - but getting an evaluation from that clinic would be great for you. And if you do go with them you'll surely have a great result too.

Well done for spotting the saleswoman and the same poster and and actually mentioning it at Hairclub by the way! I personally haven't realised when I was being given a salespitch at a hair loss clinic myself before.........I used to be a "not your head and go along with the EXPERTS" kind of person. This isn't an industry to be naive in so I think you did well for avoiding them and coming here.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Savemyhair-

I echo what everyone else in here says. Being so close to SMG seems like a no-brainer.....at the VERY LEAST, for a consultation. Janna and crew are awesome and super concerned about the patient's well-being......and Dr. Ron and Dr. Paul are two of the very best in hair restoration surgery in all of The United States .

I don't think "Hairclub" is affiliated with Dr. Lawrence (Larry) Shapiro, of Florida, in any way.....but as others have mentioned, I would personally stay FAR away!!! I don't know if you remember this thread, but it is worth a read. You can form your own opinion on it.....but I wouldn't donate my money or my scalp to anyone who was affiliated with his "practice"......

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/167287-dr-larry-shapiro%92s-lawsuit-against-patient-based-forum-community.html

Good luck, and let us know when you start narrowing down your list of surgeons......and Welcome to the forums!!!

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

If you went to HC in Minneapolis, there is an interesting story there. That practice used to belong to Dr. Manuel Jaffe, who I consider to be one of the early pioneers of FUT. I traveled half way across the country to have him do my HT work.

The funny story is that when Dr. Jaffe retired and sold his practice to HC in the mid-to-late 90's, he continued to do HTs for about six months. Rather than recommend that his patients continue on with HC, Dr. Jaffe recommended a new, young, HT doctor across town that he considered to be very talented. That doctor is Dr. Ron Shapiro.

Honestly, you can't so any better than SMG!