920 Grafts - Dr. Glenn Charles Age:21

Hey guys,

I was fiending these forums before I got my transplant so I figured I would share my experience and could maybe give another perspective especially for the younger guys.

History:

I noticed after going through pictures that my hairline receded in the corners around age 15. Probably just when puberty peaked. I am 21 now and for the past 6 years have had around the same hairline. Very strong and dense throughout my head just receded in the corners.

Homework:

I did my homework and narrowed down my list of doctors and one of which I saw was Dr. Charles who happened to live in my area. (south Florida) I had 2 consultations with him and we decided if something was to be done it would be in the 500-1000 graft range but he strongly advised me to give it a year to make sure I truly wanted to do the procedure and make sure my hairloss at least for now was somewhat stagnant. ALmost a year later I was back in his office even more educated on the procedure and certain and confident that I wanted to do it. He happened to have an open day later that week so everythign happened so fast.

Charles Medical Group (CMG): The procedure went very smooth. I chose Dr. Charles because he made me feel comfortable and presented himself naturally and confidently and brought about positives and negatives. He was professional and his staff was likewise exceptional. Everyone was very friendly and excited about what they were doing.

Surgery: We did just about 920 grafts in one session using ARTAS. Surgery went from around 9:30am to 3pm but that included a comfortable and quite delicious lunch that the staff provided. Time went by quickly, I was in very little discomfort and actually was very much comfortable and painless throughout. Once again everyone was very professional yet friendly and made the procedure a breeze.

Look: For the look I wanted to keep the same kind of shape of the hairline just widen it just a big to take away that peninsula look. Like wise I wanted to slightly fill in my current hairline since it was slightly thin at the edges. Finally the overall goal was to make everything as dense as possible since all of my hair elsewhere on my head is very dense.

Current: I am currently in day 8 in post-op and am very happy. Almost all the scabs have shed and redness is slowly starting to fade. I am very happy with my results thus far and am looking forward to the future.

Satisfaction: From my research and expectations at day 8, I am 100% satisfied. I hope the following months will go smoothly.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

PICTURES: The first 2 are right before surgery. The third is immediately post op. The final 3 are 3 days post op

day0-1.jpg.4e001bdac619de7e05dc5422041bb189.jpg

day0.jpg.84b4cef2e27fea2a52b5317a4dfd86d2.jpg

day1.jpg.1dc7a6fdb9071b4228fb3e3f0440cd1f.jpg

day3.jpg.004a6c3fcd260c539342caf4469a182e.jpg

day3-2.jpg.784e74cae0823ea89beaf3ef07280761.jpg

day3-3.jpg.48ca2709223daa9fd2d1807b16da08e9.jpg

Thank you for the kind words. Yea I wasn't looking for something like that since I think it wouldn't look right on my face. This will hopefully just make the whole hairline a little lower and much more solid

newhair11,

Welcome an congratulations! Great to see another ARTAS procedure being presented. I hope you'll stick around and continue to update us on your progress.

I really like the hairline design and it looks like this is going to be a nice looking results for you!

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

FUT has been proven to yield better results than FUE, that's the main reason I chose it over FUE. There are a bunch of posts here and on other hair loss forums that explain it.

I am very identical story. I am 23 just corners and I had 1126 grafts done. only thing you might regret and I could totally be wrong is that you didn't do FUT. the strip yields better results supposedly....happy growing man!!

FUT has been proven to yield better results than FUE, that's the main reason I chose it over FUE. There are a bunch of posts here and on other hair loss forums that explain it.

This was the case a few years back and still is in the hands of doctors not very skilled in the FUE procedure, however it is pretty much bs now. Many doctors are achieving yield rates very close to that of strip. There are definitely factors that would make strip a better choice for many patients but I don't think yield is really one of them anymore.

newhair11 the work looks really good Dr. Charles always comes across as a great guy, I'm sure you will be happy with the results. I'm curious however if you are taking meds to prevent further loss?

Congratulations! Look forward to updates.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks a bunch guys. Yes. I'll do my best to keep the updates coming.

MM1, I think that is correct, a few years ago FUT's yielded better results but from reviews of current patients and ones using ARTAS from what I've read they seem to be pretty equal. (of course in the hands of an excellent surgeon.)

Greatjob, no I'm not taking any medications and don't plan on taking anything in the future. I don't like taking pills and if future hair-loss arises I will adjust accordingly. If its very mild I will potentially continue to do transplants at appropriate times and if it is very severe I will probably not intervene. Only time will tell.

well if strip is done correctly,,you won't see it with a 2 or 3 buzz..my scar looked huge at first but really got small, some people weren't so lucky so I understand your concern. It should come out okay but my doctor was keen on the strip and hes been doing this for 34 years so I went with it. But don't get concerned, you may be completely satisfied with FUE, just wait and see

I think FUE was a very wise choice for your age and level of grafts "needed".

Please keep us updated! Hope it works out for you.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I thought this post explains the pros and cons pretty well:

FUE vs. FUT Pros and Cons of FUE Hair Transplant vs Strip Harvesting | Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

I will say you picked a good surgeon (he did my FUT) and I see the robot was used to place the grafts so I am confident things will turn out just fine for you.

I really like Dr. Charles work as well, and I think you were in great hands newhair11. Congratulations on your procedure buddy, and I wish the best for you in terms of growth and happiness with your results in the upcoming months!! I like the hairline design and think you look to be in great shape at the 8-day mark! Keep us posted on your progress throughout your journey!

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

2 WEEK UPDATE: Its been exactly two weeks. From my prior expectations I am just around where I thought I would be.

The donor area is still red but starting to be less and less visible. Within a week I predict it will be unnoticeable.

My recipient areas are still pink. The redness went away but the pink has stayed and has been lingering a little bit hopefully will go away soon. I really hope it doesn't last a couple months as it did with some guys. I am a little worried only because now I see the implanted hairs very well and they don't seem to be dense at all. Im just not sure weather some of the hair already fell out or if these are the only ones that will grow.

With 920 grafts in such a small area I was expecting to see a somewhat thick amount of hair in week 2 before they fell out. Any input guys?

Likewise I feel like I got a little bit of shock-loss on my left side and almost none on my right. My left side used to be a little stronger and now just looking at the original hair looks much weaker.

I guess I am getting a little anxious waiting mainly for the colors to fade so its not as noticeable when I go out. I notice people look at it when I'm out and about but so far no one has commented on it.

Besides that, no pain or discomfort. Im still using no sulfate shampoo. No Meds or Supps.

Wish you guys a good weekend, happy growing!

IMG_3573.jpg.d4d6b394a15e2ecebcb584719a703a65.jpg

IMG_3568.jpg.678cb003c8f458b81024225fe4bdea6c.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg.d2820a4d192095f25e34321ff804e24a.jpg

IMG_3570.jpg.7594ee204775a26c3e2e472decd7f364.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg.d104e6f337ce87234ebda699582f9ea0.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg.083a659d2e350d12edd3d3b81ecbbf5f.jpg

For 2 weeks, everything looks to be great and right on track!! The redness is very normal for this stage, and will continue to get a little better every day. In regards to one side being weaker than the other.....it seems to happen more often than not. For me, my right side of my head grew in much less efficiently than my left, but by 5-6 months, it was all caught up! It's still early days for you my friend. Try to keep your mind off your hair (stop looking in the mirror every 2 seconds, haha) and go out and enjoy your Summer. Time will fly by.....really it will, I promise. It seems like just yesterday I had my procedure, and I just hit 7 months!! It's going to be great when it starts to grow.......

Best,

Mike

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Thank you for the reassurance and kind words it means a lot. I went through your pictures and your procedure came out great! Ill keep updating and hopefully itll be good news after good news

Day 17: Nothing special going on just feel like giving a little update. Redness is slowly subsiding. Im feeling great. My previous anxieties have slowly went away. I am very excited about to forthcoming months but I'm trying not to think about it. I think about 75% of my donor hair in the recipient sites fell out.

Just curious:

-Im pretty sure im on track.Am i correct? Any comments you guys have or any advice?

-I know there have been thousands of posts on redness but, Im running a presentation in a couple days and there's going to be a lot of eyes on me. Any advice for redness. From all the research I've done it seems like its only a matter of time. Do you guys agree? Or has there been something that has helped a numerous amount of people take the redness away quicker? I've bought aloe but haven't used it yet. I have also bought aloe mixed with"ALDAVINE" supposedly a redness reliever. This is an after burn product from CVS mainly for redness relief from sunburn. Any experience with either?

I rode my redness out! It went away after about a month and a half..... Have you started using your products yet???

I'm a few weeks away from my FUE and from my research, Aloe Vera is what is suggested in most cases. I have 3 weeks before I'm back to work so I'm hoping it will have calmed a bit by then. I do think you should try the AV though.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3