Hair looking extremely thin - brief switch from Propecia to finasteride. Thoughts?

Neal0282

I have been using Propecia daily for almost 2 years now. I started taking finasteride a few months back and just started noticing my hair was looking much thinner and starting to fall out. I immediately switched back over to Propecia.

Has anyone else had this side effect?

The only other medications I am taking is 5,000 mcg of Biotin and a multivitamin. I eat extremely well, drink plenty of water, and workout at least 5 days a week.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

I think I'm getting this! Have been taking Finpecia but now switching back to Propecia...it's more expensive but my crown has got worse over the last 5 months since I changed.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I hate hearing this and it really pisses me off that this is what a problem. If finasteride is suppose to drop your dht levels, period. Whether it is used for the prostate or not. Is there something else that could scientifically explain whats going on?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I hate hearing this and it really pisses me off that this is what a problem. If finasteride is suppose to drop your dht levels, period. Whether it is used for the prostate or not. Is there something else that could scientifically explain whats going on?

I can't think of another scientific explanation. However, like you, I am royally pissed at this because if it is a prescription medication, it's supposed to have quality control standards. Maybe this is why I felt as though I didn't get any benefit from taking finasteride daily. Maybe I should bite the bullet and switch over to propecia, even though I really can't afford it.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

I've opened the wallet and gone back for Propecia. Much more expensive, but if it works then....it has to be worth it.

I'm just hoping that it really was the generic that wasn't working - not that my hair loss has just became too much for the meds!

Will keep you all updated. If I get back on Propecia and my crown improves, then I'll be relieved and delighted - but not happy I paid over 200 for a useless batch of Finpecia!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Why don't you buy a pill cutter and finasteride from Walmart ( I think a 4 month supply is like 9$ ). All you do is cut the pill into four and you're ready to go for the next four days. I was advised to not cut too many pills in advance or else it will lose it's chemical structure and be useless for your purpose.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Guys, take PROSCAR. It's not generic, and made by Merck, it will be cheaper than Propecia, and you'll get genuine finasteride.

It pisses me off too that this could happen. What brand generic are you guys using? Cipla's Finpecia is supposed to be legit.

I have been using Finpecia 1mg from Dr. Sing - uk fin info.

There is also proscar available on his site but with my reservations about his Finpecia, I didn't want to order more. I went back to my old supplier for propecia and minoxidil that I knew worked from before.

Maybe next time I'll go for the proscar - I don't like the idea of cutting a pill and trusting I've done the job well enough to be getting the right dose.