Who would YOU choose?

Okay, here's your scenario,

You have MY HAIR (I posted a couple pics on my profile), you only need work done on your HAIRLINE, but, and here's your limitation, you can only go with a HT surgeon in Southern California.

1) WHO do you go to? Why?

2) What method do you go with (FUT/FUE)? Why?

3) If FUE, how would you prefer the HT operate (ARTAS, manual, etc.)?? Why?

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::eek::cool:

Afraid of flying?

1)I'd probably say Dr Reed based the many results posted on here. Top notch and very ethical.

2)Depends on your goals. I think you are more than a NW2 (as suggested on your profile). I suspect you may need over 3000 grafts.

FUE would be better if you intend to wear your hair short. You may not need to shave your head for FUT.

If I was havng FUE I'd probably go elsewhere, i.e. Belgium and see Dr Feriduni - there is a guy at the top of his game!

3)I'm not bowled over by ARTAS yet but will reserve judgement until there is a pool of consistent results.

Oh, and you should get on finasteride to preserve your existing hair.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

you can only go with a HT surgeon in Southern California

Personally I think that is an insane stipulation.

People think of nothing of jetting off to the mountains, Cabo, Disney World, but then they freak-out over jetting somewhere to get the best surgeon to do something they will have to live with the rest of their lives. Crazy if you ask me.

But if I was only limited to Southern Cal I would pay a visit to Dr. Sanusi Umar in Redondo Beach for a consult.

Dr. Umar seems like he gets some really nice results, cares about his patients, and is not afraid to take on the most challenging cases.

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

This may be a very unpopular opinion but with your level of loss I would not restrict myself to a whole continent, let alone an area as small as South California. Surgeons who have proper experience working with. You are lucky that just by coincidence, Umar happens to operate in Southern California as there aren't many North American surgeons I would go to for your level of loss. Hope my wording doesn't sound too harsh or anything but I do not have faith in most of the NA surgeons who see FUE as simply "punch the graft out and put it in place" when their yield has no consistency because they have not taken the time to properly explore FUE on the levels that their European and Turkish competitors have. Umar is one of the two best FUE surgeons in North America but I still would go Europe or Turkey.

Here's my problem with traveling. I'm not going to go with a doctor I haven't met first, and I'm not flying to Turkey to see if it 'feels' right. I think there's plenty of So Cal doc's, and I can MEET them first to decide. To me, that's a better move than flying all over the world for consultations.

Here's my problem with traveling. I'm not going to go with a doctor I haven't met first

Why not?

Why exclude some of the best doctors in the world that are in the US and Canada, and choose possibly a lesser skilled doctor just because you get to meet the lesser skilled doctor face to face?

(Note: I am not at all saying Dr. Umar is a less skilled doctor, just making a point and speaking in broad terms)

This is 2013! You don't pick a hair transplant doctor like you would a veterinarian because the office is just around the corner! You are going to have to live with the result the rest of your life. Don't scrimp on the doctor choices if you want a great result that will last decades.

If you had brain cancer and the best brain surgeon in the world was at the Mayo Clinic....I would assume if you could you would jet off to the Mayo without a second thought without ever meeting the doctor.

In my opinion...meeting the doctor is way over-rated. Studying the doctor, investigating the doctor, investigating the doctor's results, speaking with the doctor's patients in person, e-mail, ect...becoming a fully informed educated patient....is much more important. You will basically be with the doctor for one day and maybe never see the doctor again, meeting the doctor is really not that big of a deal....but "knowing" the doctor is important.

Before my surgery I was overly concerned about meeting Dr. Wong and seeing the Hasson/Wong clinic. But after meeting patients, studying the message board for a year or more, communicating with Hasson/Wong via phone/e-mail. ect, watching countless interviews and YouTube videos about Dr. Wong and Hasson/Wong I decided that it was an extremely safe bet to just go for it.

To me there is LESS RISK going to a world class doctor without a face to face consult, than it is going to a 2nd or 3rd tier doctor after getting a face to face consult.

I went to a doctor in Southern California and I am extremely happy with my results! I agree with you on wanting to meet with your doctor in person, etc...This is a huge commitment and you want someone who's going to be there with you along the journey.

I shared my experience on an earlier thread: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169763-sharing-my-experience.html

but basically I went to Dr. Yazdan, he's located in Orange County. I know there are other doctors in the Southern California area but from my personal experience I am really glad I chose to go to him! My hairline and the amount of grafts I got were exactly what we had discussed. I was able to meet with him for post ops and come to him with any questions that I had. (I had a slight "Crap, did I pull all my grafts out in my sleep" scare but he told me that I was fine). This is a big investment both personally and financially so make sure you do your research and good luck!

I went to a doctor in Southern California

and I am extremely happy with my results!

but basically I went to Dr. Yazdan, he's located in Orange County.

Sean is this the guy you went to?

Google: "Modena Fue Hair Transplant Las Vegas & Orange County"

Edited by Shampoo

Yeah, that's him. I went to a few consultations and all I can say it that I just really liked him the best. I recommend that you guys go see him, at least for a consultation. They're free so you have nothing to lose. My personal experience with him was great, and I am extremely happy. Dudewheresmyhairdude, I got a strip done. When I look through my hair now, I can't even tell where my incision was. The thing about Dr. Yazdan that really sold me was just how personable he was. He even gave me him personal cell number after my procedure and said that I could call him if I had any issues through the night. I'm not the type of person to abuse an offer like that, but just knowing that I had the option was really reassuring. He was as committed to seeing my surgery through as I was. So all I can say from what I have experienced is that I picked the best doctor and consequently I have exceptional results. Dudewheresmyhairdude, I'll personally message you with more information as well.