Propecia and age

DaSpiv

I am 55 years old and Norwood 6/7 and had transplants done around 10 years ago that give me some coverage in the front and top.

I read somewhere that if one has been losing his hair / been bald for 20 or 30 years that Propencia and Minoxidil Rogaine or whatever will have no effect at all and that once the hair follicle it dead / dormant then no amount of praying or drugs etc will bring it back and it has to be used when one first starts noticing hair receding. Is this correct, and is it a waste of time for the more mature gentlemen who has been shedding hair for some time to start using these drugs ?

It is highly unpredictable. The primary use for these medications is to *retain* what you have, so if you have hair that you want to keep, you should take it.

Sometimes it can also increase volume and density, and the best results have been in men in their 30s, so it is less likely to work for older men, however, that is not a rule, some older men do respond well to the drug.

I wouldn't take the drug expecting regrowth, think of it as a bonus.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hi Matt, thanks for that link, that was exactly the thing I was looking for, and from that it may well be worth giving it a try. I will speak with HT surgeon next.

Mikeylad,

I don't believe that doctors underestimate the side effects of Propecia since all the available scientific evidence seems to indicate that side effects are minimal and aren't permanent. That said, it's true that a small percentage of men can experience sexual and other side effects from the drug. Those who do and stop taking the drug typically return to normal without side effects after a short time.

Despite media hype, there is no hardcore evidence suggesting those with long term ED and other sexual problems are experiencing them due to Propecia. There are many causes of ED and sexual issues and those who continue experiencing them should seek medical assistance and treatment after a thorough and proper diagnosis of the problem by a qualified physician.

Best wishes,

Bill

I think it depends less on your age and more on your stage/length of time of hair loss. Like the 47 tear old guy above, he had miniaturized hair and was able to regrow and build caliber. If you are a NW7 and would be naturally slick, I do not think that it will help you a great deal.

However, if could help you maintain your sides and crown and keep them from dropping any more. Without a pic, it would be hard to give advice on it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Take a look at this page. There are a range of ages. I wouldn't worry too much about it, you may benefit, you may not, but you'll keep more hair on fin than without.

Propecia Rogaine Finasteride Results Before and After Photos | Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

I have a friend who is 45, an he has been taking generic Fin for about 5 months, and in the first couple of months, he had some shedding, and now his crown looks better and I see a lot of regrowing or strengthing hair. I think whatever he recently ( in the past 6-9 months) lost is coming back, not the ones he lost a couple of years back though. Hope this helps.

DaSpiv;

Sorry to get back to you here,i received your pm but i am unable to reply back to you, i think it may be the browser..

To answer your questions, i stayed at four seasons accor at Victory Monument, very close to Dr Path about 5 mins drive or a few train stops away, and i paid cash but you can also transfer money. Best to speak to Dr Path's staff about that.

Hope this helps, sorry to hijack the thread, if you have further questions just let me know.

All the best

JF