Hair from back of neck transplanted?....

....Do any doctors take the hair from the back of one's neck...right below the back neck hairline...to use for transplantation? It would seem these hairs would make for a good, soft hairline. I've never really researched it...just wondering. I've read about the body hair transplantation, which doesn't sound natural, but wouldn't the back neck hair be much better?

....Do any doctors take the hair from the back of one's neck...right below the back neck hairline...to use for transplantation? It would seem these hairs would make for a good, soft hairline. I've never really researched it...just wondering. I've read about the body hair transplantation, which doesn't sound natural, but wouldn't the back neck hair be much better?

Yeah thats a great question! I always assumed they could'nt take hair to low down from the back of the head but I have no idea why not.....

Blond.

-----------------------------

PhD (Experimental and Clinical medicine)

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

I'm sure it can be done because I've seen articles where people inquired about moving chest, facial and even pubic hair to their head....I still can't get over how someone would want pubic hair on their head..I mean being bald is bad but not THAT bad. But basically wherever they take the donor hair from you will have some sort of a scar and I don't think personally I would want one that big on my body where it couldn't be covered up.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

newly,

The only problem with using "Nape" hair is that it could be vulnerable to hair loss, thus, any nape hair used for transplanting could also fall out in the future.

Personally, I think using nape hair is risky and is outside the scope of the permanent safe zone.

Best wishes,

Bill

i'd really like to see or at least know the statistic on how many bald men lose there hair on the neck once they go bald NW5-7. i have seen many bald men NW6-7 with their neck hair "intact".

where can i find that stat or is there any good doctor here that kept that statistic or perhaps can point me/us in the right direction regarding that info/stat.

of course it is all negotiable with your doc, i would guess, so it's up to patient to decide if he wants those bad boys FUE'd or let them be(RIP?!?).

As Bill has said, nape hair is at risk of permanent loss. Transplanting them would be risky.

As GQ indicated, not all persons who migrate from NW3-4 to NW5-7 lose their nape hair, but some of them do. It's just genetics that determine how your individual hairloss pattern will develop.

take care...

• Moderators

I've said before I think underarm hair should be great to use in a HT. I don't know about anyone else, but mine grows long and straight and there's a lot of it. You can take it out using strip rather than FUE, so there's no worry about FUE not growing as well. You don't really have to worry about the scar because who is going to see a scar in your underarm. You can leave a small bit of hair there to hide it a bit anyway.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.