Beard to Scalp HT - any good or bad results (scars, slow growth, etc.)

Dear Patients/Doctors,

Can you share good and bad results/experiences of Beard to Scalp hair transplants? The results/experiences can be anytime after post procedure, but specially, I am interested in those that are 6 months and over. Mainly, i wanted to know if any visible scarring occurs at the beard donor sites. Thanks.

I have had around three thousand grafts removed from my beard. I have no visible signs of extraction. I think this is due to the doctor using a small .8mm hand held manual punch and following pre, and post op instructions carefully.

I am more than happy to wet shave and post pictures, however as I have my fourth procedure booked for May it will be some time after as with all fue surgery there are red marks that slowly dissapear over the following weeks.

I style and edge my beard for a couple of months until they are completely gone and then wet shave as normal.

The last time I did this was for a meet up a while back, I was happy to wet shave and attend the meeting and probably will do so again if it is beneficial to others.

Hope this helps

ejj

Ej, thanks for your response. Who was your doctor? Did you have all the 3000 beard hair going into crown or spread all over to enhance density? I would appreciate if you could share your wet shave pics. Thanks for helping us. Much appreciated.

Hi Hairloss Hero

I went to Doctor Bisanga at BHR. I had three procedures over almost a two year time period, of around a thousand grafts each time, placed mainly into my donor area to hide former scarring. I have had a few grafts placed into my forelock and crown to add density.

My surgical plan is to address the scarring first, and then crown and top secondary. At the outset I never thought it would be possible to address naturally balding areas due to my scarring, I am fortunate to have above average beard donor to complete the work, not everyone is so lucky.

Will post some facial pictures soon

Best Regards

ejj

Curious to see the beard area after the extractions have healed as well!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

My traditional scalp donor area is the location of my scars from former strip/FUT procedures. The scarring stretches from ear to ear from several former procedures over the last twenty years.

I have had three repair procedures with Doctor Bisanga solely using beard hair grafts to improve my overall appearance. So far this has been very successful for me, I have no visible marks from the extractions, I will post some pictures of my face next time I wet shave.

Happy Easter

ejj

Hi Taco

I am reasonable happy now as the repair procedures have made a huge improvement. I will probably have another three procedures to regard myself as completed but if I stopped now I would be ok with that.

I think as we age hair becomes less important, the problem I found was that I was basically disfigured like many others, so the goal then becomes to regain some sort of normal appearance as the option to just cut short has gone.

My level of loss probably could of been addressed with a strip and FUE procedure, knowing what I now know, i would of addressed the frontal loss with FUE and as the loss progressed over time retained the option to shave down to a close cut, or utilise beard hair throughout the top and crown.

Hope this helps

ejj

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Patients/Doctors,

Can you share good and bad results/experiences of Beard to Scalp hair transplants? The results/experiences can be anytime after post procedure, but specially, I am interested in those that are 6 months and over. Mainly, i wanted to know if any visible scarring occurs at the beard donor sites. Thanks.

There is no visible scarring under my jawline, I have had around 5K grafts extracted. I am fair complected, and any white dot scarring would be nearly invisible anyway, but after being in the sun in the summer, there is still not a thing visible.

The only indication I can find of anything being extracted is if I crane my head upward and stretch the skin on my neck as taut as I possibly can, there appears to be something akin to stretch marks.

But it is not noticeable to anyone but myself, and then I can only barely detect that anything is different.

I've had 4 sessions of beard removal over the past three years. I have never read one single instance online of anyone upset of white dot scarring from beard extractions.

Here is a photograph of my crown taken at six months post procedure. I had around 420 single beard grafts into the crown. The hair is similar to my surrounding scalp I think perhaps a little greyer.

Part of your consultation should be to discuss your beard characteristics and suitability to use as donor, maybe a good idea would be to do a test patch from under your chin and into a small 2-3 cms sq area of scalp, that way you can assess how you heal and grow.

All the best with your research.

ejj

5b32d7f764270_crown3.jpg.d589d2e011303eb531539748fcbfc0ce.jpg

Here are the pictures of my donor area after three thousand extractions. I took these photographs this morning after wet shaving.

I have been asked about white dot scarring being an issue, as some people have concerns over this due to what they have been told during the course of their research and consultations. I thought the best way forward was to meet patients and see the result for myself. This then gave me the confidence to proceed.

Hope this helps.

ej

5b32d7f8c23a4_donor1.jpg.1ce93f5c8912d375fbbb3efb61c38e0c.jpg

5b32d7f8d88ba_donor2.jpg.a009bc6850bae1f8cae535e345a933f6.jpg

5b32d7f8eed44_donor3.jpg.3232f55714e9456c243a8977bc742f5f.jpg

5b32d7f90c38d_donor4.jpg.3b5dbe67d40ffbb91c63627f024a4b18.jpg

5b32d7f91fbdb_donor5.jpg.c78f12307ef1d453f88a1e5785b8f2df.jpg

5b32d7f952875_donor6.jpg.55166464349cf749e7eec2f367d6d85c.jpg