Opinion: FUT/FUE

Dear all,

I'm a norwood 4 and I reckon that I need 4000 grafts. I was told by my local dermatologist that the likelihood of a thicker scar for asian guys are higher as compared to Caucasian men. - Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Secondly, as I'm researching I'm likely to narrow between Dr. Rahal & Dr. Hasson.

(In my opinion from what I gathered) Dr. Rahal is excellent in FUE, has a reputation for excellent hairlines whereas at Dr. Hasson is great at FUT and performing megasessions. - Am I wrong to make this observation?

I worry tremendously about scarring. Has anyone been to Dr. Rahal or Dr. Hasson and did their FUT - how is the scarring like?

Would like to hear your opinion and hope to learn from you guys.

If you decide on FUE to increase your chances of good growth you want to go to a FUE doc that does the extractions himself and uses a manual punch as opposed to an electronic device. I'm not sure about Rahal being excellent at FUE. He was trained by and worked for Antonio Armani who was so negligent his medical license was taken away from him. Armani's clinic uses a drill, kind of looks like a black & decker power drill to take the follicles out of the donor. A technician does all the extractions. From what I heard on Rahal, a tech also does all of the extractions and I wouldn't be surprised if he uses the same type of drill. Also make sure the manual punch is less than 1mm in diameter because you will definitely scar with 1mm. The problem is the smaller the diameter the greater the chance of the follicles getting damaged and not growing back.

Hey rauol80 - thanks for your feed back, appreciate it. How about FUT, is Dr. Rahal a leader in that? Will the scar lines be pencil thin?

Scars are not pencil thin. That term is pure hyperbole. Even 1mm thin is very rare. Generally, the best scars are usually 2mm thin, possibly a fraction more or less. What you see when clinics comb through the donor is not a true representation of how small a scar actually is because the zig zag pattern and layering of the hair reduces the scar visibility. Only when the head is shaved down is the illusion taken away. No doctor can guarantee you a thin(pencil, 1mm, 2mm or otherwise) scar because it is largely dependent on your physiology(your body and some luck). Even with advanced donor closures, I have seen stretched scars from all the leading doctors. If you want my opinion, Hasson and Wong are possibly the best at minimizing the chance of a stretched scar because they accommodate the scar's width to suit the tension in each section of the strip as they go. However, that does not guarantee a thin scar, it is a gamble.

I wouldn't say Rahal is 'excellent' at FUE either, there have been a few cases of his large FUE sessions that yielded really badly... I have also been told that a tech does a good percentage of the extractions too.

If you are worried about FUT scarring and are considering FUE, I would reevaluate the considerations you have in terms of the method(FUT or FUE) and doctor of choice...

Edited by Mickey85

If you decide on FUE to increase your chances of good growth you want to go to a FUE doc that does the extractions himself and uses a manual punch as opposed to an electronic device.
that's nonsense. ur talkn out of ur ass. HT surgeons all over the world use both manual and motorized punch tools with excellent results.

its what the HT surgeon feels comfortable with. Dr. Umar who performs FUE only uses both manual and motorized. his transection rate is equal with both techniques.

Dr's. Bhatti, Feller and others uses a motorized punch as well as many others.

Hey rauol80 - thanks for your feed back, appreciate it. How about FUT, is Dr. Rahal a leader in that? Will the scar lines be pencil thin?

In my opinion he is average, but many people love him on the forums. I think he does a lot of the things Alvi Armani did years ago but for some reason gets a pass where Armani was always attacked. Most particularly, I mean, wasting too many grafts on high density low hairlines on young guys.

I agreed with Mickey85, that Hasson & Wong are the best at FUT.

In my opinion he is average, but many people love him on the forums. I think he does a lot of the things Alvi Armani did years ago but for some reason gets a pass where Armani was always attacked. Most particularly, I mean, wasting too many grafts on high density low hairlines on young guys.

I agreed with Mickey85, that Hasson & Wong are the best at FUT.

Thank you. You are certainly not the only one who has questioned Rahal's ethics. I too am not sure why Rahal is rarely questioned as to why he feels the need to pack in 2,000+ grafts on a nw2 25 year old patient via FUT or FUE....

I don't think you can argue that Europe is the place for those big FUE sessions now...there's been lots of excellent results posted

I had a wonderful FUT experience with Dr. Feller and I'd still go and do it again.

So you wont find me debating FUT/FUE (kind of the point of the thread I know, but) - you just need to research results from doctors and the pros/cons to each method and see how you feel. Then do the consultations.

I only had 2000 grafts on frontal third, but I still wonder if it'll be a mistake down the line with future loss / donor supply etc. So I agree with rauol80 about the amount of grafts Rahal uses on hairlines.....could be risky down the line if the patients lose more hair.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

that's nonsense. ur talkn out of ur ass. HT surgeons all over the world use both manual and motorized punch tools with excellent results.

its what the HT surgeon feels comfortable with. Dr. Umar who performs FUE only uses both manual and motorized. his transection rate is equal with both techniques.

Dr's. Posw*l, Bhatti, Feller and C@le uses a motorized punch as well as many others.

Well, I'm still waiting for my FIT grafts to grow. Been like 8 years now.

Thank you guys for your comments so far. Well, this is pretty alot of information to take in right now. Was wondering would mattj or Jotronic share their views on this matter.

Hi Socates,

I was told by my local dermatologist that the likelihood of a thicker scar for asian guys are higher as compared to Caucasian men. - Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

He's right. In general, Asians have the potential for worse scarring than Caucasians. Africans have the highest tendency for bad scarring. To be more specific, Asians and Africans have a higher chance of keloid scarring so if you have keloids anywhere on your body, then it can happen again. If not then you most likely will be fine and the scarring will have no higher or lower chance for success than on Caucasians.

Secondly, as I'm researching I'm likely to narrow between Dr. Rahal & Dr. Hasson.

(In my opinion from what I gathered) Dr. Rahal is excellent in FUE, has a reputation for excellent hairlines whereas at Dr. Hasson is great at FUT and performing megasessions. - Am I wrong to make this observation?

As far as hairlines go Dr. Hasson is a master. I'm going to post a hairline that I took a pictures of two days ago in Rome ( I'm in Italy right now) but I don't have time at the moment. We figure the density is about 80 to 90 per cm2. We don't normally go that high as it takes a lot of hair and it is usually not necessary. Dr. Hasson was the first doctor to show a density of 70 grafts per cm2 and that was ten years ago. The difference between Dr. Hasson and Dr. Rahal is simple. Dr. Rahal tends to be more aggressive in the shape of the hairline whereas Dr. Hasson feels that a mature shape is more appropriate for the long term.

If you have any others questions don't hesitate to ask. It may be a while though since I'm travelling through Europe at the moment.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians