24 years old HT

nmss

Hello guys,

I'm 24 years old and been losing hair since 19. But now things are looking really bad, or should I say bald?

I would like to ask your opinion whether I am a good candidate or not for a FUE transplant keeping in mind my current hair loss stage? I've attached a couple of pictures.

With the FUE transplant I was looking for a realistic result with a little more density, and not the hairline I had with 17. I just want to look a bit less bald, if that's possible. And I know I would need more than one transplant.

Genetics wise: father is bald and mom suffers from hair loss too.

Treatments: For the last 3 years I'm on finasteride, without side effects so far.

What do you guys think? Would FUE transplant be a good option for me regarding my age/hair stage, or there isn't much to do in my case?

Cheers.

hairnow.jpg.e54f4b439c3e146307e6f2f076a82f5f.jpg

diagonal.jpg.cec8d9ec0adde2cdf65a37b391ca1b07.jpg

It really depends on what you want from your HT. Seeing that you are progressing to a NW5-6 there are numerous options for you. Remember to continue doing a lot of research on this forum, choose your doctor wisely (only docs that are recommended here), know that like a tattoo a HT is permanent, and a HT costs a significant amount of money.

You are a young guy and will have more loss based on your pics and what you said about your family history. If it were me, I would wait and see my hairloss goes. Enjoy being 24!! With that said...

1. Don't do anything and simply shave your head--at your age, that is what I would do for the next couple of years to let your hairloss stabilize and allow you to assess how bald you will be. Have you tried a full shave? You seem to have a good shaped head. I did that for a while, but ultimately did not like it and went the FUT route.

2. FUE would allow you to keep on shaving your head without a linear scar, but you would need a couple of sessions and it is very expensive. Choose your FUE doc wisely!

3. Or you could do FUT and get a large session to rebuild your hairline and mid scalp, then a second session to help the crown. Going to a recommended doc would allow for the transformation you would be looking for.

Even though we are seeing guys with your level of loss getting large FUE sessions, I still feel that large FUT sessions for high Norwood levels achieve better and more consistent results. Plus the cost of it.

Once again, you are young...enjoy being young and see where your hairloss is headed in the next couple of years.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Nmss,

Thank you for sharing these images.

How do you feel about preventive medications like Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride)? I think if you were dedicated to these therapies for a little while, an FUE procedure wouldn't be out of the question. Have you consulted with any hair transplant surgeons yet?

Look forward to your reply.

PS: Has Mom seen an Endocrinologist about the hair loss? Often times, hair loss in women is caused by a different set of factors than it is in men.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Eman sums it up well.

Agree you have a good shaped head and are not pastey looking - good candidate for the buzz cut.

An FUT based around your current hairline and not filling in the temples too much could look great. I think you should go see a few Drs.

3 years on Fin is a great start.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

thanks for all the answers guys.

@Eman: I would say that in the last couple of years my hair loss has stabilized. I reckon that finasteride was the reason.

with the HT I would like to have a bit more density. I'm pretty sure you understand if a say that I would like to enjoy my 24, with some more hair :cool:

I'm afraid of the FUT scar, hence I choose the FUE.

@Future_HT_Doc: like I said above for the last 3 years I've been taking finasteride and it helped a LOT with the hair loss. I tried minox even before the finasteride but it was making my scalp very itchy and dumped it maybe after one month of use. Maybe I should give it another try.

Actually I've started this week my research, and online consultations. So far not many answers.

@1978matt: that was exactly my objective with the HT but with FUE.

@1978matt: that was exactly my objective with the HT but with FUE.

It's a tough one. If you have amazing laxity you could get a lot more bang for your buck doing FUT. Hence it would be good to see a Dr in person.

Totally understand the concerns about the scar. In my own case I know there is no chance I would ever buzz down. It just doesnt suit me at all!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

@Future_HT_Doc: like I said above for the last 3 years I've been taking finasteride and it helped a LOT with the hair loss. I tried minox even before the finasteride but it was making my scalp very itchy and dumped it maybe after one month of use. Maybe I should give it another try.

Actually I've started this week my research, and online consultations. So far not many answers.

Don't know how I overlooked that in your initial post! My mistake. Glad you're dedicated to finasteride. Like you said, this is probably helping stabilize and halt the progressive loss. Also, I'm pleased you're beginning your research; let me know if you have any questions!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello guys,

I'm 24 years old and been losing hair since 19. But now things are looking really bad, or should I say bald?

I would like to ask your opinion whether I am a good candidate or not for a FUE transplant keeping in mind my current hair loss stage? I've attached a couple of pictures.

With the FUE transplant I was looking for a realistic result with a little more density, and not the hairline I had with 17. I just want to look a bit less bald, if that's possible. And I know I would need more than one transplant.

Genetics wise: father is bald and mom suffers from hair loss too.

Treatments: For the last 3 years I'm on finasteride, without side effects so far.

What do you guys think? Would FUE transplant be a good option for me regarding my age/hair stage, or there isn't much to do in my case?

Cheers.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, celebs have done it and look great now.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Really dont want to make this an FUE/FUT debate but if you research well enough and find the right Doc regarding FUE you can get just as good results as you would with FUT.

You are pretty advanced but hopefully the meds can hold what you have.

concentrate on the frontal 3rd/mid scalp and go from there!

Cost of FUE in the US is way more costly than it is in Europe and some of the best FUE docs are in Europe:cool:

A friend of mind has a similar hair loss pattern. He had consultations with four top doctors in the world and they told him that he should go for an FUT. My advice is be on finasteride and consider adding Minoxidile and use them for at least a year. After this, reassess your situation.

Hit the breaks young man. There's no need to rush. I would consider Propecia/Rogaine for a couple of years to see if it stabalizes you. If it does, you can consider a HT Sx, which ever method you prefer. If it doesn't and you keep losing aggressively, then you'll be one happy guy for not having started down the HT path...

Best of luck!