Normal for assistance to place grafts?

Hey everyone,

I just finished up my second procedure and felt it went great.

I was just curious if it is common practice however for the surgeons to use their assistants/nurses to do the graft placements? The doctor did all the incisions, but the assistants did the placing of the grafts. My main concern would be with qualification of the nurses as it is the doctors whom I research. Not necessarily their help staff.

Thoughts?

This is very common. The key is to make sure you are dealing with a good clinic whose results you trust, and find out how long the assistants have been with that doctor. As with many clinics, you not just looking at the work of the doctor, but at the work of the team.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Absolutely standard!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

"As with many clinics, you not just looking at the work of the doctor, but at the work of the team."

Not stressed enough..

Agreed. However, I feel like quality physicians only work with quality technicians. If they didn't, their results would not be acceptable. A doctor could remove a strip and make recipient sites perfectly, but if the grafts are placed incorrectly, the results will be sub-par.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Technicians placed most if not all of my 4352 grafts.

Technicians are an often over-looked part of choosing a clinic.

The technicians are critical!

The amount of full time employee technicians, the skill and experience of technicians are vital parts of a patient's success.

Some clinics use part time techs, or one I had a consult with flew in their main tech every couple of weeks. I dunno about you but I would feel best with a clinic that has a deep, highly skilled, full time, staff of technicians. That way if someone calls in sick you are still working with a highly skilled, well paid professional technician. A deep staff of technicians also allows clinics more freedom to do mega-sessions on a routine basis.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.