Am I being unreasonable?

Long time lurker, first time poster. 39 yo. Around NW 4-5. Propecia for about 15 years.

I am just starting the process of consulting with doctors for my FUT.

I have visited one doctor so far and he strongly discouraged touching my crown. He suggested FUT of ~ 3000 grafts concentrated on frontal hairline only. I am willing to be reasonable and conservative, but this is disappointing because I am very unhappy with the crown area. His reasoning was that (a) if he did the crown I could continue to lose hair up top and this would create a ridiculous look down the road, and (b) donor supply could be depleted by doing just the frontal hairline.

I understand the logic, but am having a hard time appreciated whether the limitations here start and end with my own hair situation, or perhaps the doctors own skill and creativity.

Attached photo is me.

image.jpg.649e2fa16633feaebac2acd2c470932a.jpg

That patients crown loss is much less than yours. The issue may be with your total donor supply. If it is <6000 than he gave you sound advice. If it is 9000 or more, then I would look elsewhere for another opinion.

Who is the doc

Edited by Cant decide

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

It all depends on your donor. One doctor may say something another may say another. Some doctors have limitation on what they are able to do so its good to get as many opinions from top doctors as possible.

Here is an example of a italian friend that recieved two session of roughly 9300 grafts. He looks a little similar than your hairloss but I am not saying your donor will have as many grafts.

Your example of Major 25 has much less of a hairloss than yourself. As well on some of the pictures it appears the preexisting hair on the sides that are strong are used as a combover to give the appear of a stronger results. That is my opinion.

tn_IMG_0365.jpg.6ef949e8ee85ecc706048cfa724fd1e8.jpg

tn_IMG_0368.jpg.89c73bec61e98cf0430d428c59dabdb3.jpg

tn_IMG_0369.jpg.fa1ab83cc1430e54e5b91746a4a0164e.jpg

tn_IMG_0382.jpg.47fc9577d7bd6d1feb00789bc8e0f9db.jpg

tn_Fotodel04-12-12alle1505.jpg.7d771d9672c4d39fb1c6396160acda76.jpg

tn_Fotodel04-12-12alle15094.jpg.86fc24355a8e3a6ebc1db747450a1389.jpg

tn_IMG_2056.jpg.eb11fe36dacdf0935ab33838c3065764.jpg

tn_IMG_2060.jpg.93af6cee4ad837be7fd9f00f6b3ba890.jpg

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

As others have said, it largely depends on your available donor and hair characteristics as to how much you need to get the coverage you want. I think it is wise to do the front first. Depending on your available donor you can probably get some coverage on your crown, though it may be thinner than you would like. It does appear that your hair loss is more extensive than the example in the SMG photo. Consult with a few top clinics and that will help you better understand what can be accomplished in your particular case. Based on these consultations, you can figure out how to proceed and which clinic is best for you.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Thanks all or the responses. Very informative. Is there any way to guesstimate my donor area availability without looking under microscope? I'm attaching photo of donor area in case it helps at all.

Hard to tell but it looks average density to me.

Try to get some close up pics and send them to H&W. If they can't do a big session then no one can!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Tough to tell. Get some good close up photos and submit them to some clinics to look at. When I did my first consult with SMG and others, I submitted a series of photos that included some close ups of the donor. The clinics can make a preliminary assessment of your donor with good photos which is pretty reliable but the final analysis will be in person. Your scalp laxity will also be a factor in how big of a session can be done in one setting.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

On the plus side you have some things for you. You hat does not look particularly fine, and your the contrast if hair to skin is heavily in your favor b

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.