cost of FUE

Does anyone have any thoughts or inside information on whether the cost of FUE might come down a little bit in the future. Last time I researched it was about $10/graft.

1500 grafts on anyone is goiIng to make a very modest difference at best. $15k is so much money to spend on such a small change in appearance.

I'm certainly not knocking the doctors for charging that because I know it's very labor intensive and requires great skill. Just hoping it will get more affordable.... icon_smile.gif

It already has. SMG placed their FUE at $6 per graft (with a travel discount of $500 I believe), Dr. Devroye is $7.25 (with the exchange rate), Dr. Feriduni is $5.77 (same), Bisanga is around that price (same), Dr. Wolf is $7, Dr. Umar is $6. If the dollar would ever get stronger than the Euro, FUE in Europe would be cheaper than strip surgery in the US.

The days of $10 per graft FUE are on their way out. With top notch clinics offering the same surgery for 40% less, the clinics still charging those exorbitant fees will either have to adjust their prices accordingly, or lose business.

You gotta love SMG for putting the patient ahead of the bottom line. We all know that they could have set their FUE price much higher than $6, but didn't so that they could offer more patients, more options. That's admirable.

Thanks TC - that's great news. Much easier to justify going that route with those prices.

SMG looks like they do great work too. I don't know if they have many FUE patients who are 1+ years out but I will be following them closely to see how they turn out.

I have no idea what the reasoning behind SMG's pricing is tied to, or the bigger question which is do they intend to raise it once they become more cemented with FUE results. Either way, I think calling SMG FUE patients "guinea pigs" would be very extreme; though it nonetheless makes sense for SMG to not price their FUE at some outrageous number since they have yet to prove themselves to be in some unrivaled class of FUE practitioners, mainly because they're relatively new to FUE.

My personal feeling is that even if/when SMG has every proof in the world of their FUE excellence that they still wouldn't raise prices much (if at all).

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

As a quick bit of history, back in the middle of 2007 when I started really delving into FUE, one of the goals I set was affordable pricing for the procedure. In speaking to many, many patients the general consensus is 5-7 dollars a graft is:

#1 Fair #2 Affordable when compared to strip costs.

When Dr. Shapiro, Matt, Janna, and I talked about what types of patients we generally felt would desire an FUE approach, they would be hairline/frontal zone patients and generally need 2500 grafts or less to accomplish their goals.

In that vein, if you take a person who needs 2000 grafts.

Strip would cost 9000.00

FUE would cost 11,500.00

In this instance the cost differential allows a patient to choose the method they desire, without placing the emphasis on cost alone.

I want to say that there are no plans to raise our FUE cost in the near future. I also want to point out that Dr. Ron is in HIGH demand for his hairline work and has been in high demand for 10+ years. If he wanted to engage in gouging patients, he could have done so at any point in time. Something to consider.

Obviously, economics will eventually force cost augmentation as the cost of labor/supplies/etc.. rises, but we feel the current cost is a proper representation of a fair price now in the foreseeable future.

I'm going to let the guinea pig comment go because I think people are perhaps confusing us with some other clinic. Irresponsibility is a fault easily remedied with proper research.

Take Care,

Jason

Edit--wanted to point out that even if we had to raise our costs, just like our strip costs, it would be reasonable and nothing outrageous. Dr. Ron has always maintained a fair cost to value over 15+ years.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Jason, I suspected that you guys wouldn't insta-hike up prices just for when your FUE reaches peak notoriety, and it's great too know you have no intention of doing so. With Ron Shapiro's credentials and SMG's track record, over the backdrop of the dogma/stigma being "FUE is always super expensive", you certainly could have priced your FUE much higher and I don't think *anyone* would have batted an eye.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

And the thing is is that with lower prices, you'll be getting more business. So patient-friendly pricing can in turn help the bottom line. It's smart and effective biz.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

That's a good point, Aaron....more "competitive" pricing can actually be a win-win for everyone's bottomline. The thing with pricing is that it's totally subjective at the end of the day and a wide range of pricing choices spanning the market is likely the best climate to create the most choice and value.

-----------

Precisely Thana. And it just makes the clinic look better. I know that Dr. Rassman took a pretty big PR hit with his prices and probably lost a good number of patients because of it.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

How come when I read this thread I just want to scream "Carfax please"?

Do you think clinics (or reps) would argue that prices should be cheaper?

Let the market work, bottom line - it is supply and demand, like every other commodity or service...that is the way it works.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Just to let everyone know, my guinea pig remark was an attempt at sarcasm and was directed towards JamesH to see if he could explain his comment.

I felt the way he kind of just floated that comment about them (someone?) raising prices after the results were in was a little strange, especially since he didn't provide any background or reasoning behind that statement.

I really don't think any reputable clinic would do something like that. And I feel SMG is top-notch in this business.

It's just a little scary thinking a clinic would offer introductory pricing as they gain experience in a new techinique. And no, I'm not saying that's what anyone is doing. Only that it was clearly implied in the comment by JamesH.

HairHope - exactly. That was the purpose for the question. I was asking if anyone "in the know" might have knowledge of where the FUE "market" is heading given the current supply/demand dynamics for that procedure. I also wasn't quite sure what the average price is out there right now.

My comment was only my opinion based on? SMG are new to FUE and do not have grown out FUE? results so i wouldn't have thought it would be a massive shock if they were to increase their pricing once their results come through as Thanatopsis awry commented,

" nonetheless makes sense for SMG to not price their FUE at some outrageous number since they have yet to prove themselves to be in some unrivaled class of FUE practitioners, mainly because they're relatively new to FUE. "

That was the reason for my comment. I should have perhaps explained. I think SMG are very good and its good to hear they have no intension of raising their prices with FUE. This will make other clinics have to drop theirs.

JamesH,

Perhaps you should choose your words more carefully in the future, or speak less authoritatively on matters you know nothing of? Your opinion that SMG would increase was both unsubstantiated and irresponsible. Jason has mentioned many times on this forum the rationale for SMG pricing their FUE at $6 per graft. Perhaps if you had done a little bit of reading you would have seen him mention the same thing he did on this post many times before?

Also, at the risk of coming across as a cheerleader, SMG has nothing to prove. I would go to them for FUE based solely upon their past reputation for high quality results, and solid patient care. They have earned the presumption that they will not do anything to mess the patient. I feel very confident that they would not risk their hard earned reputation on a procedure that they did not believe to be equal to their strip work.

Instead of implying that SMG has ulterior motives for their more sensibly priced FUE, you should be excited. It is only when top clinics, like SMG, begin to offer (slightly more) affordable, yet still high quality FUE, that the other doctors will wake up and do likewise. Even if you never go to SMG for FUE, I believe we will all owe them a debt of gratitude for changing the dynamics of the market and showing that FUE can be priced far less than what it currently is in the United States.

TC17,

I agree and apologise.?  As i mentioned this is good news for FUE in general and will hopefully mean other clinics who charge high prices will come down. Sorry again for being so flippant with my comment.? I had not seen B spots previous comments regarding SMG pricing. I made an assumption, an incorrect one.

JamesH,

Classy response man. I wish more members were like you.

Although I said that SMG's pricing would contribute to a downward pattern for FUE in general, I am not quite sure that's accurate. We all must remember that there are very few truly great hair transplant surgeons in the world, and of that already small number, not all perform FUE. It stands to reason that the market can tolerate very expensive FUE or else the doctors charging those high costs would have already lowered their FUE price. Standing alone, SMG offering theirs for $6 is merely a blip on the radar. Doctor X can continue to charge $10 per graft because even if EVERY patient who wanted FUE tried booking with Dr. Ron and Dr. Paul, Dr. Ron and Dr. Paul would not be able to keep up with the demand. It is not as though they manufacture a good and can increase production to meet the demand for the $6 per graft. The only way that FUE will drop across the board is if enough patients forgo those doctors that do charge $6+ per graft, and visit with those that are more reasonable. That is partially the reason why I listed the doctors that I did. They all enjoy good reputations on this forum, and each is priced relatively reasonable for FUE. If anyone knows of the prices for other FUE physicians it would be beneficial to all of us considering that type of procedure. I am especially interested in Dr. Tykocinski, Dr. Mwamba, ProHair, Dr. Farjo, Dr. Reed, Dr. Ross, Dr. Konior, Dr. Melike, Dr. Nakatsui, and Dr. Dorin.

I sincerely appreciate everyone qualifying their comments, it puts everything into perspective and lends a little humor to the thread icon_biggrin.gif

As far as market trends go, I find that most clinics charge what they charge....I know people speak about certain clinics charging more or less, but location seems to play a major factor in the cost of services. West Coast/New York will always be higher than the midwest region on average. Space/Labor generally cost much more in these locations. Even if a particular doctor wanted to charge less, he or she may not be able to afford to lower the cost.

I do think cost is important, but it should not be the most important factor. If a particular doctor stands up to all of your scrutiny and research and you determine this is the doctor for you, then cost should be secondary. Additionally, in these tough economic times, it seems most clinics are willing to work with patients to fit a budget.

Ronald, 6.00 per graft is for any size session 0 grafts to 2500 grafts. Our travel discount applies for sessions of 500 grafts or greater.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

To add to the economic outlook....there is going to be a fair number of people amongst those who already are cool to spend 5 figs on a lone HT who simply won't care whether or not they could save a few grand. Hunting for more competitively priced clinics likely won't even enter their mind, and if it did, it would take a distant backseat to their dominant focus on simply looking for a clinic who they feel will deliver them "the best". Those patients will pay the premium, which in turn cancels out many (if not as much, if not more) of those patients deterred. Of course, regardless of person, the best of clinics offering the best of prices is "good" for any man.

To hazard a guess I'd say this is the overriding reason Dr's (successfully) have and will continue to charge ~10/g. Yes, certain pockets of the economy have been obliterated, but the amount of wealth flowing throughout the nation is nonetheless staggering, and in many cities going out for a night on the town brings to mind Roman decadence, not FDR foodlines.

-----------

Originally posted by the B spot:

Ronald, 6.00 per graft is for any size session 0 grafts to 2500 grafts. Our travel discount applies for sessions of 500 grafts or greater.

Take Care,

Jason

Very fair price IMO.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE