FUE vs FUT Dr Shapiro

I have been perusing the forum for months and researching physicians and have decided that Shapiro Medical Group on possibly being my choice for my first hair transplant.

I'm 29, with a receding hairline and now a thinning forelock area and I've had enough. I have been using Propecia for two years as well as generic minoxidil 5 percent, and have noticed a slight slowdown and maybe moderate growth but now I am ready to take the next step.

I am terribly nervous about surgery and scarring. I have been trying to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of the FUE method over the FUT method and what has me so worried is the large scar from the FUT. However is seems like so many undergo through FUT method vice FUE. With a surgeon such as Ron and Paul Shapiro, should I really be concerned about this? What if I wear my hair short, won't the scar be visible? Any info would be great, thanks.

Bishop25,

Shapiro are one of the leading clinics in the world and excellent in both procedures, so you will be fine either way.

I have posted a link from their website comparing the two procedures.

Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)

I am sure Janna would answer any of your questions if you private message her on here as she is very knowledgeable.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

You chose a great clinic and will be fine either way. I decided on FUT and my scar is really difficult to find. I don't even think about it. I had the same anxiety about it before my HT though. If I go back for more, I would probably go for FUE the next time. The FUE results from SMG have been really impressive.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

The more hair on top is totally worth the scar - even if it doesn't turn out perfectly razor thin.

Good call on choosing SMG for your first procedure. After two years on Fin, you are doing all the right things.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I am terribly nervous about surgery and scarring. I have been trying to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of the FUE method over the FUT method and what has me so worried is the large scar from the FUT. QUOTE]

Hi Bishop,

How short do you want to wear your hair?

Our strip scars are coming out almost undetectable in the last couple of years. I would say this is the case for 95% of the patients. We used to advise that you could sport a buzz cut of #3 guard with strip and #2 or #1 with FUE. I think that many of our strip patients are able to buzz to #2 or #1 with strip now. If a patient has had previous strip procedures, there are more risks for wider than the size of scars I just described.

Many patients are nervous before undergoing a ht procedure and then wonder why they were so nervous afterwards. Let me know if you need any other info.

I have not tried a #1, but i have had a #2 and my scar was not detectable with the #2. I am fairly certain it would not be detectable with a #1, but I don't really want my hair that short.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Those Shapiro brothers are both top notch hair restoration physicains. I would let either one do a hair transplant on me. You have to decide if you are ok with having to maybe keep your hair a little longer in the donor area (#3-5 on a clipper). One benefit of the strip/FUT is you are not thinning out the entire donro area. They do both procedures very well. They are using the ARTAS for FUE now. There is no more accurate way to do FUE.

• 9 months later...