Best method and post op strategy for concealing HT AND Hairloss

Hi,

Based on the numerous opinions, and my own research, I am wavering between FUE and FUT. I won't discuss the pros and cons here as that has been beaten to death. I've also posted a similar thread in the past but feel more perspectives are needed.

One very important factor for me personally, is the ability to not only conceal that I had a HT, but to hide or mitigate the fact that I had hairloss to begin with (in the 0-4/5 months post op). I have been concealing (or reducing the appearance) of hairloss for many years now through styling aids concealers, hairstyles.

Two options:

1) FUE= full shaved head (I need 2500+ grafts, and the best docs with manual punches all seem to shave pretty much the entire head), shockloss, can't cover hairline where I need (but on the other hand would I need to cover it? Shaved heads visually make it more difficult to determine the extent of ones hairloss IMHO). There are docs that can perhaps do it with shaving rows, but none that I would consider, I'd only go to the best 2-3 in the world, and they require (effectively) full head shaves.

2) FUT = no shaving, greater recovery time, shockloss, I can have some hairs to cover my temporal areas (but after shockloss and perhaps minimal shaving even there by the doc, are those hairs any good anyway, or would it look stringy and thin?

So what I'm trying to figure out it is, in reality (as opposed to theory), which method would a say NW3 patient be able to better conceal or mitigate at least, their appearance of hairloss post HT?

The concealer angle: If use of dermatch /toppik is an option, does that have a role in all this as far as mitigating the appearance of hairloss post op?

FUE approach: Some that advise FUE say to shave your head weeks prior to the procedure, let the 'look' sink in for your co-workers and then get the op done. However I was thinking might it not be better to "take a long vacation," come back with a very low buzzed head (mind you with plenty of saplings the first couple weeks, prior to fall out of grafts), at which time I feel my head might be more a focal point (as no one at work has seen me with a shaved head before), and then buzz it even lower in the weeks that follows as the grafts start falling out more and more? I'm guessing the first few days upon return to work people will notice more, when the grafts fall out by then it would be a dead topic?? So the first few days upon return to work, everyone is seeing a guy with a great hairline and plenty of saplings, allbeit buzzed down, and then, after a couple weeks when my grafts start falling buzz it down more and by then it will be off people's minds anyways. So this is one approach. The FUT is more straightforward and is below

FUT approach: Grow top of hairs/vertex as long as possible. Use hair growth aids such as Biotin perhaps and thickening shampoos, concealer such as dermatch add a bit of product such as wax, mess it up and brush hairs forward... BUT, between the shockloss and *IF* the doctor requires some minor shaving of the temporal area will doing all this help anyways, or will the hairs at the vertex fall out leaving basically a "poor guy with serious thinning trying to brush his hairs forward and scalp showing at the hairline"

So, in sum:

FUE VS. FUT(STRIP) (first column is FUE, second is FUT)

-shockloss -shockloss

-full head shave - no head shave (but perhaps minor at recipient site)

-quicker recovery -ability to use concealer

-concealer use obvious - as grafts fall, front hairs may become thin anyways

-expensive - cheaper

-far from US -closer, in N.America

-buzz cut reduces appearance of h.loss -brush hairs forward, but too thin?

-minor scarring, not obvious -obvious HT scarring (can go for FUE revision later)

-more expensive - half the cost of FUE

-reduced yield/growth -greater growth

-capping/"collateral damage" -no or reduced "collateral damage"

For those that have had a HT before, please respond!

One thing worth noting is that it is not guaranteed you will have shock loss - I didn't. I could be wrong, but I think most people do NOT have shockloss.

I'm trying to honor your request to not debate FUT -vs- FUE :-) but.... a few things to consider (you probably have)

I just don't understand why people want FUE for large cases (2000+ grafts). Is the idea that you can always shave your head down in the future if things go "wrong"? I would think with that number of FUE grafts, you wouldn't do this anyways as it would look weird with little tiny pinprick scars everywhere. By having a HT I feel that I've committed to having my hair at least 3/4" long anyways - so that will cover up the FUT scar. This presumes that you have good laxity and that is not a concern.

So, enough said on that but if "consealing" your HT is a primary objective, I think FUT is the better option - provided your hair is long enough in the back. I would suggest letting it grow out at least an inch in case you experience shock loss from the donor site (plus they have to shave a small strip in the donor area down).

"Consealment" has been difficult/impossible for me as I am a NW6. On top of that, my scalp stayed redder MUCH longer than 3-4 weeks. It can be done though, with green tinted concealer and some sort of powered mineral "foundation" (sure there are other ways). At 3-4 weeks I used an *electric* razor to shave down any transplanted hairs that did not fall out on their own.

Me personally, I would use FUE to fill smaller areas, e.g. touch up.

Either way you go, I would suggest using a copper peptide spray on the receiptent area..... and use it quite generously for the 1st 3 days. For me at least, this reduced scab formation significantly and most of my scabs were gone about 10 days post op (believe it or not).... and now at 3 months post op, I have a significant amount of growth. Hairs on the top of my head are about 1/2" long now.

Of course, there are other factors that influence this, notably good surgical technique, e.g. using different/matching blade widths to ensure the grafts fit snugly - reducing exudate. And of course, every individual is different :-).

Either way, good luck. I can only advise that you make the most informed decision you can, pick the best surgeon you can and then go with it. You can analyze this to death and be paralyzed with indecision. Ultimately, even if you "fail" at consealment, you are only going to look "bad" for 6 months or so.

There are a couple things about concealing your ht. is the doc your going to going to shave your recipient? If so than I'm assuming your frontal third will be gone anyway so your probably better off shaving head. If that's the case than with fut, your scar will show for a few months unless you can rock some sort of combover/comb forward. With fue, the doc will shave the back of your head so it'll look bizarre if you don't shave your entire head.

With my ht there really was no way I could conceal it well until 2 1/2 months later. But that was for me. The truth is there are many guys on here who hide it well and others who cannot. I was lucky I was able to wear a hat or bandana to work everyday. I personally feel thats kind of a toss up for every guy who undergoes a ht whether or not they'll be able to hide it well. Also, are you fair skinned or dark skinned? If your fair skinned the recipient area can remain pink for a couple months as well. I hope this info helps and good luck with your journey

I think the people that promote fue do so due to the pros of faster recovery time and the ability to buzz down in the future.

Why did you shave down your transplanted hairs?

Who did your surgery?

One thing worth noting is that it is not guaranteed you will have shock loss - I didn't. I could be wrong, but I think most people do NOT have shockloss.

I'm trying to honor your request to not debate FUT -vs- FUE :-) but.... a few things to consider (you probably have)

I just don't understand why people want FUE for large cases (2000+ grafts). Is the idea that you can always shave your head down in the future if things go "wrong"? I would think with that number of FUE grafts, you wouldn't do this anyways as it would look weird with little tiny

pinprick scars everywhere. By having a HT I feel that I've committed to having my hair at least 3/4" long anyways - so that will cover up the FUT scar. This presumes that you have good laxity and that is not a concern.

So, enough said on that but if "consealing" your HT is a primary objective, I think FUT is the better option - provided your hair is long enough in the back. I would suggest letting it grow out at least an inch in case you experience shock loss from the donor site (plus they have to shave a small strip in the donor area down).

"Consealment" has been difficult/impossible for me as I am a NW6. On top of that, my scalp stayed redder MUCH longer than 3-4 weeks. It can be done though, with green tinted concealer and some sort of powered mineral "foundation" (sure there are other ways). At 3-4 weeks I used an *electric* razor to shave down any transplanted hairs that did not fall out on their own.

Me personally, I would use FUE to fill smaller areas, e.g. touch up.

Either way you go, I would suggest using a copper peptide spray on the receiptent area..... and use it quite generously for the 1st 3 days. For me at least, this reduced scab formation significantly and most of my scabs were gone about 10 days post op (believe it or not).... and now at 3 months post op, I have a significant amount of growth. Hairs on the top of my head are about 1/2" long now.

Of course, there are other factors that influence this, notably good surgical technique, e.g. using different/matching blade widths to ensure the grafts fit snugly - reducing exudate. And of course, every individual is different :-).

Either way, good luck. I can only advise that you make the most informed decision you can, pick the best surgeon you can and then go with it. You can analyze this to death and be paralyzed with indecision. Ultimately, even if you "fail" at consealment, you are only going to look "bad" for 6 months or so.

I really don't know a definitive answer. If you have hairline work, I don't see how exposing your hair loss can be avoided.

I still put a bit of concealer on the crown and mid-scalp (mainly incase of very bright lights) but in the 4 and a half months since my FUT on the frontal third, it's not really not easy to conceal. You can wear hats until your redness has died down, but with the bit of shaving down I had, plus the new grafts starting to come in, it's obvious that SOMETHING is amiss.

I just think "f**k it" and go about my business with my very faded red hairline with loads of new hairs coming in nicely. I have had one or two looks up but that's it, I told all my close friends about it so I just live life and look forward to hopefully better hair days in the new future.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Oh and I do put a bit of concealer on the new hairs coming in too, it makes it look a bit thicker and I think helps with the redness also.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I just think "f**k it" and go about my business with my very faded red hairline with loads of new hairs coming in nicely

I agree. Before my surgery post-op appearance was a huge concern for me, but once I went thru the surgery most of the concerns melted away. Once you have the surgery the post-op look will most likely not be as big of an issue as you now think it will. I guess in part it is realizing there is now "light at the end of the tunnel" and that it wasn't nearly as big an issue with people as I thought it would be. 99% of people don't even know anything because they did not know you before you had surgery. Friends and co-workers are mostly supportive when they "are in on the secret" and they know exactly what you are trying to achieve. There is a small bit of curiousity "how much did that cost"?...."when will it all grow in"?...."did it hurt"?...."I didnt think you even needed that". Instead of stares they want answers...lol. I sometimes wear a cap on weekends. Pretty much, people once they know, just leave you alone because they are busy dealing with their own lives. At 3.5 months I just started using a bit of Nanogen again until it all grows in and people are like "wow...your hair is coming in big-time". Ha Ha...I just say "thanks and it should take several more months to see the final results".

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I think the people that promote fue do so due to the pros of faster recovery time and the ability to buzz down in the future.

Why did you shave down your transplanted hairs?

Who did your surgery?

Dr feller did my surgery. I did not shave down my transplanted hairs, the recipient area was shaved prior to transplantation so the hair I had there (not much, but enough to conceal a fair amount of scalp) was gone. There are docs who don't shave but I think a lot of the top docs do shave recipient

I agree. Before my surgery post-op appearance was a huge concern for me, but once I went thru the surgery most of the concerns melted away. Once you have the surgery the post-op look will most likely not be as big of an issue as you now think it will. I guess in part it is realizing there is now "light at the end of the tunnel" and that it wasn't nearly as big an issue with people as I thought it would be. 99% of people don't even know anything because they did not know you before you had surgery. Friends and co-workers are mostly supportive when they "are in on the secret" and they know exactly what you are trying to achieve. There is a small bit of curiousity "how much did that cost"?...."when will it all grow in"?...."did it hurt"?...."I didnt think you even needed that". Instead of stares they want answers...lol. I sometimes wear a cap on weekends. Pretty much, people once they know, just leave you alone because they are busy dealing with their own lives. At 3.5 months I just started using a bit of Nanogen again until it all grows in and people are like "wow...your hair is coming in big-time". Ha Ha...I just say "thanks and it should take several more months to see the final results".

It really is amazing how much people don't care isn't it. I told 5 of my friends, the first time I saw them 1 week post op, I took my hat off for the big reveal and they barely looked. They said "I thought it would have been much worse than that"..........the only time it gets discussed now is when I bring it up!

As for strangers, they might have a look if something catches their eye, but people don't care - they are too busy with their lives.

You make a good point Shampoo about how it's not as big a deal as you think before hand. I think that may be because you have it ALL to come, it can be daunting. I have taken everything one day at a time and it's been easy. Yes I've looked a bit weird, but you just get through it and stop caring. It's all for a good cause, afterall. :)

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

If you dont mind me asking, how old are you guys? I think if you are relatively young being open about a HT is not so easy. When you are in your 40's and 50's I guess it is inevitable for most people, but when most of the people around me don't have hairloss issues it does become a bigger deal imho.

Additionally I am a manager with 30 people under me, mostly women. I'd rather not be the butt of jokes or be perceived as being vain/sensitive/insecure.

If you dont mind me asking, how old are you guys? I think if you are relatively young being open about a HT is not so easy. When you are in your 40's and 50's I guess it is inevitable for most people, but when most of the people around me don't have hairloss issues it does become a bigger deal imho.

Additionally I am a manager with 30 people under me, mostly women. I'd rather not be the butt of jokes or be perceived as being vain/sensitive/insecure.

I'm 35 and run my own business with 30 or so people under me as well. I have not been open at all with employees of mine. I don't believe anyone of them thinks or suspects anything, given I always wore hats or bandanas to work and my hair loss was not particularly bad prior to ht.

23. I told my inner circle of best friends, no-one else.

The easiest way in my opinion to conceal a procedure is as follows is to go the FUE route and shave your head a month or 2 or longer before the op. Everyone you know then gets used to seeing you with buzzed down hair.

When you go for the op and come back (taking around 2 weeks off so all scabs are gone) No one will bat an eyelid. And there will be no eye drift in case there was any redness hanging around. Even then you could conceal it with foundation.

Then keep your hair buzzed till the growth comes in after a few months. The hair growing back will such a gradual process no-one will notice it.

Strip your more limited in terms of concealing and more at risk of being found out in my opinion.

IMO, If you are having hair line work with 2000+ grafts concealing is not all that realistic.

With that many grafts, someday day, months after the procedure, you are going to have little stubbly hairs popping up where no hair was before.... so the gig is up then.

My primary objective was not to look too ridiculous. e.g. bright red scalp with sawtooth pattern running across my head.

Now at 3 months, I have pretty good growth (hair about 1/2" long) and anyone with any capacity to reason can figure out what I did. Though, interestingly, I haven't had one person ask me about it...including family.

Unless you want to shave your head down really short, the FUT scar is generally not an issue.... easily concealed from day 1 with ~1 inch long hair around the back. This presumes good scalp laxity and good surgical technique.

My advice would be pick the best method that will give you the results you want 1 year from now. Immediate post-op concealment, though important, should be on the bottom of the list of factors determining the type of procedure - IMO of course :-).

I've got a naturally high hairline and have been concealing my forehead with bangs for years now. After my FUT surgery I intend to continue wearing bangs, which should cover the recipient area. I am also growing my hair extra long (1") to ensure that the donor area scar is covered for the first month post-op.

Where can one obtain the copper spray stuff?

IMO, If you are having hair line work with 2000+ grafts concealing is not all that realistic.

You're right. That's exactly what I had in July....no way of hiding it unless you wear a hat.

It is difficult unless you have enough hair in the right position to brush it over.

I believe Spreadlocks was a good example from memory.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

You'd need to be willing to have a major comb over though...

I had that option but prefer to just say f--k it and deal with it

I feel like I am still 30, but I just turned 54 last week. I see your point, each situation is different and I am sure I would have felt much different at 34 than I do now as far as concealing the surgery.

As stated I did feel pre-op very worried about post-op looks, but afterwards going thru the travel, being in the surgery chair ten hours, being seen afterwards, the discomfort, the whole enchilada kind of toughened me up with more of a "I dont give a F....I gotta a plan...it's gonna have a good ending....and I dont care what people think". But again everybody has their own unique journey, their own circumstances, their own people they have to deal with. But here is a picture of me the day after surgery on August 14, 2012. How was I going to hide that I had something done? Maybe a hat 24/7?...but that raises questions too. I suppose I could have shaved down pre-op, but it's still going to show....

postop_zps844b2b46.jpg

To me hiding is worse, because it peaks people's curiosity even more. If you are open about it, people "move on" much quicker....no whispers behind the office water cooler...but that's just me at this time in my life. Best of luck on how you decide to handle it.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Thanks for all the feedback, its appreciated.

Presuming I go the FUE route, I still think its best to shave at op and not pre-op. Wait for that right time when grafts have not shedded but redness is gone and then go to work.

But after that, why do people who have had an FUE transplant not continually shave until their hairs start growing in? Then, after 5-6 months stop shaving and let it all grow?

I am wearing a hat but I am only doing that is because of the redness and shockloss on my sides, leaving it long on the side and short on top looks weird. Otherwise I would just go hatless, cause I am pretty happy with the situation on the recipient area. Everyone is different in personality and situation. I am hoping when the redness dies down I can cut it all short.

• 5 months later...

Hey Recedingboy-what did you end up doing for concealment. I'm in a similar situation, scheduled for an FUE and thinking of shaving my head until month 4 or 5 when it starts growing in.

Thanks for all the feedback, its appreciated.

Presuming I go the FUE route, I still think its best to shave at op and not pre-op. Wait for that right time when grafts have not shedded but redness is gone and then go to work.

But after that, why do people who have had an FUE transplant not continually shave until their hairs start growing in? Then, after 5-6 months stop shaving and let it all grow?

Hey Recedingboy-what did you end up doing for concealment. I'm in a similar situation, scheduled for an FUE and thinking of shaving my head until month 4 or 5 when it starts growing in.

HI,

Have not done it yet, so bump for those that have.... is continually shaving/buzzing super low until MONTH4/5 the best way to visually conceal you had hairloss?

That's what I'm thinking. I've always found that part of the advantage of buzzing to a 1 or 2 grade is that it blends the back, sides and thinning top better. Hopefully it will create a similar illusion even if I lose all the hair on top of my head to shock loss. I'm scheduled for July, so I'll let you know how it goes. Any other thoughts are welcomed.

• 8 months later...

i found this thread great. I have a question. There was mention of " green tinted concealer and some sort of powered mineral "foundation""

Has anyone used products like these to hide redness? Does anyone have recommendations?

Also when people generally talk about concealers are they talking about skin colored make up to hide redness? Or brown colored stuff to blend in with the hair?

Also I like recedingboys idea of having FUE and not shaving down until the op. It always struck me that surely if you shave down in the weeks before the op, your work colleagues would become accustomed to your (lack of) hair line and when you come in it with "saplings" it would be obvious you had something done. On the other hand if you let your hair grow and then shave on the day of surgery, when you come back to work 2 weeks later you will have a new hair line but people will be mainly shocked by you having a shaved head and will have trouble remembering the exact location of your hairline. I figure it would throw them off the scent... Just a thought.

FUE approach: Some that advise FUE say to shave your head weeks prior to the procedure, let the 'look' sink in for your co-workers and then get the op done. However I was thinking might it not be better to "take a long vacation," come back with a very low buzzed head (mind you with plenty of saplings the first couple weeks, prior to fall out of grafts), at which time I feel my head might be more a focal point (as no one at work has seen me with a shaved head before)