How viable is a hair system behind a transplant?

Hey folks,

My situation:

- 23 years old

- NW 2.5

- Tried propecia on two occasions, both runs got intolerable sides

- Currently experimenting with various expensive topical regimens to get stabilization

- Have done lots of research into HTs and other forms of hair loss treatment.

I'm interested in HTs, though not actively seeking them out right now. What obviously makes me a less-than-ideal candidate is my age. Most surgeons would be reluctant to treat a young patient's hairline if the hair may recede back to NW7.

Of course I'm hoping to get stabilization, and keeping my fingers crossed for future treatments. But these are not something I can count on to have success.

How likely would it be for a surgeon to treat me if I'm open to having a hair system should the back of my hair recede further? I have no problems with hair systems other than a) the suddenness of the change in appearance and b)the appearance of the hairline. Both of these would be mitigated if I had a HT at the front.

What do people think? I would be looking at getting treatment when I'm 24 or 25, but I want to explore my options now given how much money I'd be looking to save.

I have never used a hair system in the past and never will use one in the future but I do use hats. With a hair system you are always going to be tormented by what others can think about your hair, whether it shows and about natural occurrences, such as sunlight, wind and etc.

If you have been losing your hair at the hair line region for a few years and if your not using a dht-inhibitor like Propecia, then you might be headed for future hair loss. Or you may just have developed a mature hair line.

Try different hairstyles until your hair loss is stabilized.

Hi aw33,

I agree that without propecia the likelihood is future hair loss. I have some hopes for my upcoming topical regimen, but on balance I expect it will at best slow the decline.

Hair system-wise, I've personally seen modern systems which are undetectable and don't fall off - even while swimming or doing 70 in a top-down car. My concerns with the hair system are purely with the hairline. They can look convincing, but tend to require a brush-down style.

Are you talking about getting our hairline restored, and then using a wig behind that new hairline?

I'm thinking of it as a last resort, yes. My hopes would be, having had perhaps 2500 grafts at 25, for either:

- Hair loss to stablize with topical regimen (not impossible with the stuff I'll be using)

- Future technology to help things along (not likely, but not impossible)

- Limited loss to make a future HT possible to fill in the gaps (I have extremely thick donor hair, and family history on both sides is to still have hair well into 50s)

I don't think you can approach a HT without a backup plan, however, and in my case it would be to put a wig behind the hairline. Cosmetically, the results would be excellent. It would however take approx. 1 hour a week maintenance, which I'm happy to put in. I suppose what I'm essentially asking in this thread is a) is a hair system/HT combination possible? and b) will my proposing it as a backup make it more likely for an HT doc to treat me?

You could always try Saw Palmetto instead of Propecia. I'm on Propecia atm but I'll probably go onto Saw Palmetto when those run out

Been there, done that my friend. icon_smile.gif

I didn't get sides from SP like I did from fin, so I used it for over a year. I don't think it had any noticeable effect on my loss, and at best will have slowed it marginally. My experience from speaking to others is that success with SP is rare.

I've seen it done before and obviously it looks ok because you have a good hairline, but the maintanance would annoy me. I would only do fue if your going down this route, because at least if this system starts annoying you, you could always shave down when you get older.

I managed to stop my hair from falling by taking Propecia, but I havent had any sides that I've noticed.

IMO topical regiments don't really work. I just finished month 2 of my Rogaine treatment and while I know that I should wait 6 months before making a statement on whether it is worth using or not, I don't feel like it is contributing much.

It probably will grow some thin hairs and maintain a bit but I strongly believe that nothing can give you the benefits that Propecia does (if it works for you).

True enough. I'm not expecting miracles from it, although the regimen I'm putting together goes quite far beyond rogaine. I'm looking at spironolactone, eucapil, Prox-N, and potentially the topical antiandrogen RU (not all of them together, luckily!)

Boondock,

While what you propose makes sense, I think the reality will not work as well as you think.

Lets look at what can be accomplished with HT. 2500 Grafts "in the front" really doesnt accomplish much unless you have strong sides and temple points to support it. A typical NW7 not only loses on top, but also looses down the sides.

So that 2500 grafts will be enough to provide a thin "ring" of hair on top. When the hair is lost on the sides, it will no longer be connected. Well then, get more grafts, right? Maybe not. I hink it is deceptive just how far grafts go. Almost ALL good hair transplants have supporting hair from behind or on the sides supplementing the look. I think to get a good "hairline" by itself with connecting side hair on a NW7 would require 7K grafts.

Also, NW7s usually have miniturization on the side. Figure that half of the hairs you transplant will be subject to disappearing over the years.

And then there is the scar and potential for permanent shock loss, making hiding the scar difficult. If you go FUE, the liklihood of this is less, but then you may not get near the 7K grafts you need.

I think the end result (should you hit NW7 at age 40), will be a wispy thin hairline with wispy side hair that struggles to connect the side hair to the front. Your sides and donor will be either moth eaten and see through, or stretched and see through,depending on if you went strip or FUE. The resulting hairpiece that you get might as well be called a wig, because it will be covering 70% of your scalp and will be styled forward into your "native" transplanted hairline. The differences in density will be quite stark and difficult to conceal.

Better options:

A) Wait until the loss pattern has stabilized (age 35), then you know how much HT hair you have to work with. You may be able to get a "frontal forelock" or thin coverage of hair that leaves you "not bald".

B) Just get a hair piece and call it a day. It will look much MUCH better than the 20-30K you spend on the HT. Maybe at the age of 35 you migh look into ditching the piece for a HT.

C) Wait for other medical advances.

Originally posted by TheEmperor:

Boondock,

While what you propose makes sense, I think the reality will not work as well as you think.

Lets look at what can be accomplished with HT. 2500 Grafts "in the front" really doesnt accomplish much unless you have strong sides and temple points to support it. A typical NW7 not only loses on top, but also looses down the sides.

Hi Emperor,

Certainly a lot of food for thought. I appreciate your outlook as I do still have my reservations about this idea. I guess I'll wait and see for now.

I've worn a hair piece 'system' for years. They can look totally natural and undetectable if replaced regularly and conditioned frequently. Lace is the best. Once my hair transplant matures I plan to wear a hair piece on my crown only where I had no grafts placed. My stylist has several clients who use a hair piece on the crown who have had hair transplant on the front 2/3 of their head and he says it is totally undetectable and very low maintenance. The B Spot on here I believe is doing the same thing. I think your plan is sound. The most venerable and detectable part of a hair piece is the hairline so if you have a natural one through a transplant a hair piece behind it should work well. I tried Propecia and had bad side effects so I had to stop, but it everyone handles it differently.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I've worn a hair piece 'system' for years. They can look totally natural and undetectable if replaced regularly and conditioned frequently. Lace is the best. Once my hair transplant matures I plan to wear a hair piece on my crown only where I had no grafts placed. My stylist has several clients who use a hair piece on the crown who have had hair transplant on the front 2/3 of their head and he says it is totally undetectable and very low maintenance. The B Spot on here I believe is doing the same thing. I think your plan is sound. The most venerable and detectable part of a hair piece is the hairline so if you have a natural one through a transplant a hair piece behind it should work well. I tried Propecia and had bad side effects so I had to stop, but it everyone handles it differently.

I'm relieved I'm not the first to come up with this idea. The HT is still a couple of years away for me yet, but if I go for one this eventuality is certainly something I'll bear in mind.

Personally, I think the hairline on systems can be OK if you want to go for a swept over style. I tend to spike up, and these are the ones that get caught out.

first of all there is no set age like the emperor claims where hair loss stabilizes. it may be sooner or it may be later or it may be never. secondly nw7's imo arent candidates for procedures. thirdly, there is a lot of bad advice in this thread. people say 'do your research' before a ht but what they really should say is talk to a ht doctor who can better educate you, not some random internet poster who thinks he knows something. just my two cents...

• 4 years later...

Having researched on here and other sites, I've seen virtually norwood 6/7 candidates get nearly full heads of hair again, through diligent use of donor hair and surgeons skills.

Tbh, a wig/hair system would be a total last resort for me, although some look very authentic. I just have visions of 80 year old men in swimming pools on holiday, trying to avoid getting their heads wet, with what looks like a squirrel on their heads.:o:o

23 is really young, not knowing how the hair loss will develop. Personally, i'd give it until near 30, so you've an idea of how your hair loss is progressing, then look at a HT with conservative use of graft coverage.

I'm 45 and no matter what age you are, it's crap losing your hair.

This is possible. Problem is that you may not want to commit to a life time of wearing a piece.

It's something I would consider but I would want to transplant where I could have a natural frontal half.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.