Are multiple HT surgeries inevitable?

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of research lately on HT. Almost making up my mind to get one towards the end of this year. I'm a NW 5A at 35 years old. I'm planning to get around 3500-4000 grafts. Lets say this covers most of my bald spots and I don't lose further hair in a large scale. Will I need another surgery in that case?

I have read many posts that says once you do one HT, you will have to follow up with 1 or more surgeries later on. What is the reasoning behind that. Is it that further hair loss will occur which will force you to have another HT at least?

Thanks for your time.

Generally you are likely to loss more hair if you are not using medication.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Its fairly likey you will need further procedure a few years down the line if you have general thinning in a large area or all over.

However its certainly not set in stone. Just look at the street daily. You see people in 40's / 50's with loss centralised in one area. Front third or crown etc. One procedure would have sorted this guys out to a pretty decent result.

Totally depends on your genetics. The younger you are the bigger risk there is of it. i.e If you are getting a procedure in your 20's.

Edited by Bobilero

Whether you want another session will depend on your expectations and goals. Having said that, you should be able to have just the one procedure and not be obligated to have more procedures if you choose not to. The one session should look natural enough that you can opt for another procedure if you want more density or for more coverage in the future.

At your age of 35 and at a Norwood class 5, chances are you will lose more hair. The first and foremost reason behind subsequent procedures is because MPB (genetic hairloss) is progessive. We continue to lose hair, period.

Even with the best of meds like finasteride and minoxidil, they only buy us time.

This is why we all have to think in terms of planning our restoration goals over a lifetime.

Our donor source is limited but our hairloss is not.

Yes some of us do not reach the upper classes of hairloss and in those cases some can plan for increased density levels, etc.

Yet very few men get by with one procedure in their lifetime. I had four procedures myself and am 57.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 4 months later...

A 5A will need more then one HT. A single HT will cover 'some' of the front, and will not give you the density you desire. You should meet with a doc in person, and let me them see your head, examine your loss, and look at your laxity. You need to know if your 5A pattern will become a 6. You need to know how many grafts you have and what type of hair you have. A 5A is a completely separate best, and $$$$$.

Talk to other 5A on this board, and talk to the Docs directly.