How much time to spend in HT city

Hi,

I am planning to travel to get a hair transplant. How long should I stay there? I have heard of some places that recommend flying home immediately after the HT. I have also heard of doctors recommending that patients spend 4 nights after the HT.

What is best? I would, of course, prefer to be in the comfort of my own home. But is it better to spend some time in the city after the HT?

Thanks in advance for your input.

:confused:

I've heard from happy patients that stayed one night and happy patients that stayed a week or more.

Personally I flew in Sunday. Had consult and rested from jet lag Monday. Surgery all day Tues. Wed stayed to have doctor check/first shampoo/haircut to match sides and top. Thurs went back for another morning shampoo/final check by doctor and then flew home Thurs afternoon. Basically I stayed two nights post-op.

Swelling started late Thurs/Fri so I was glad to get home before swelling reached it's peak.

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

It's really what you prefer. You are permitted to fly back the next day, but if you are worried about an issue and would like to see the doctor again than obviously staying would be best. The longest you would stay would be 10 days with FUT so you can heal completely and have your sutures removed. Most patients do fly a day or two later so don't worry about it, just take it easy and make sure to be careful and you won't have anything to worry about. You can always see your local physician if there is any issue.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

With FUE, 3 nights minimum.

Day 3 back to the hospital for the check up and first wash, stay the night, then fly back day 4 when you are sure all grafts are seated.

Any earlier than this and you risk disruption and infection to the donor area and grafts.

2800 FUE, Istanbul

With FUE, 3 nights minimum if flying home.

Day 3 back to the hospital for the check up and first wash, stay the night, then fly back day 4 when you are sure all grafts are seated.

Any earlier than this and you risk disruption and infection to the donor area and recipient area which could effect the grafts.

Remember, planes are germ tubes! and you don't want to be banging your head on baggage storage areas, seats etc etc.

2800 FUE, Istanbul

My personal opinion, knowing how I felt the night of the procedure, and the day after, there is NO WAY that I would have been comfortable flying home. Its a big procedure, from deciding that you are going ahead, then finally choosing your Doctor, saving the cash and making the payment, inventing cover stories to keep this private decision within your family/close friends. Dont expect to feel good flying home the following day. I suppose it depends where you are flying to, how many flights you must take. I wasn't feeling myself until at least 2 days post, but honestly 3 days, and those first few days of the clinic performing the cleaning and keeping an eye on things really helped install some confidence in me and feel good about the procedure. My return journey included 3 flights, and with the wait between connections, I left for the airport in Canada at 3.30pm (20.30 GMT) on a Monday, and walked through my front door at 13.00 GMT on the Wednesday. The journey was as tough as the surgery. Plan well!!!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.