Question for Proscar/Propecia users

Masato

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has ever felt a feeling of pressure on the top of their head (in my case mostly in the crown area, where I still have hair) and if that sensation ever went away after starting Proscar/Propecia. Does your head feel any different?

Also, have any of you had any acne breakouts or noticed any difference in their skin after starting Proscar/Propecia?

I would appreciate your input on this. I have never taken any of the above meds. Thanks!

Edited by Masato

Masato,

I began to suffer severe cystic acne roughly one year after starting finasteride. It continued for about 18 months or so before I finally quit taking the drug and then it took a few more months after that to clear up.

A number of doctors told me that it could not have been the finasteride causing the breakouts but I can say with certainty that the acne cleared up within the same time frame that my mild sexual side effects began to clear up.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Masato,

I began to suffer severe cystic acne roughly one year after starting finasteride. It continued for about 18 months or so before I finally quit taking the drug and then it took a few more months after that to clear up.

A number of doctors told me that it could not have been the finasteride causing the breakouts but I can say with certainty that the acne cleared up within the same time frame that my mild sexual side effects began to clear up.

Did you stop cold turkey or did you try a reduced dosing schedule? I know you have discussed this before but I can't recall what you said.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has ever felt a feeling of pressure on the top of their head (in my case mostly in the crown area, where I still have hair) and if that sensation ever went away after starting Proscar/Propecia. Does your head feel any different?

Also, have any of you had any acne breakouts or noticed any difference in their skin after starting Proscar/Propecia?

I would appreciate your input on this. I have never taken any of the above meds. Thanks!

I haven't experienced what you have described, I have been on finasteride for 9 months.

Did you stop cold turkey or did you try a reduced dosing schedule? I know you have discussed this before but I can't recall what you said.

I was already taking only 1.25mg on a MWF schedule. I just quit taking it cold turkey.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I have had no sides at all

But I do wonder if it's just a matter of time...I hope not because I really like having hair!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Thanks for your comments guys! It seems like any nutritional supplement I take (vitamins, protein shakes after a workout etc.) has always caused breakouts, or I guess adult acne, to my skin and therefore I was wondering about the effects of finasteride in that regard.

What about a feeling of pressure on your head? Has anyone experienced this? I don't know, maybe it's just me or is it psychosomatic? I'm just wondering: Is that pressure feeling telling me I might lose my hair??? paranoia.com!!!

Sorry but anybody considering using Finasteride needs their head examined...and I don't mean by a HT Surgeon! To think that any man would knowingly take the risk of losing function of his manhood for the sake of potentially restoring hair on his head is quite frankly ludicrous.

I've been taking 1mg Propecia daily for about 15 years, since it was released in the late nineties, and have had absolutely no side effects.

However, researchers have found minor side effects in approximately 5% of users, and this is well documented on-line.

My HT surgeon has advised me finasteride remains in your system for a few days, so a 1mg dosage every two to three days is adequate.

Reducing your dosage may help eliminate your side effects without hindering performance.

Rob

Rob you are fortunate to have been unaffected by the medication in all those years of usage. However the fact remains that there is no way of knowing prior to starting consumption of Finasteride whether or not you will suffer any sides. Also I think the low % of those who will suffer sides that the manufacturers claim is frankly bs. Look at all the lawsuits pending in the US and the increasing research out there that claims that some users will suffer permanent adverse affects. Anecdotally I can tell you that a close friend of mine's relationship with his partner was wrecked by his usage of the drug. I agree that such cases are probably in the minority all the same. Hopefully a reliable alternative will be available in a few years. Good luck to you. Charlie

2 years and 9 months into using the drug and my manhood rises to the occasion and produces the goods. Why should I stop using the drug if I have no side effects but have good hair?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

The stuff is a slow form of chemical castration. Anyone on it and thinking they are having no side effects. I would say them to do a year off and then confirm they are having no sides.

I was the same. I thought i was having no sides with it until i stopped it for a year. Man do you notice the difference once off it. People just get used to the new norm when on it and forget how they felt and how their libido was before starting. Everything still works when on it no question but it dulls the drive and the urge. You will only see that once you come off it.

Yeah I was on it for a year and my libido definitely suffered. Its a bit like how bobilero described it. Everything worked fine but the drive was almost non existent. You dont really notice the side effect until you sit back and think about it. I think is some ways people who use it are in denial of any side effects as they want to keep their hair and the thought of coming off the drug is too risky. Well in my view, the risk is certainly not worth the possibility of keeping some extra hairs. I'm off it now for about a month and my libido is improving but still a way to go, so here is hoping!

I don't wanna be graphic but over 5 times a day suggests my libido is just fine.