Attention all doctors

Originally posted by PLEASE GROW PLEASE:

If you have already posted 5 or so immed post op pics then Please NO MORE!!!

6 month to final results are all we care about .

We get it you cant do ultra refined work .

The question is does it grow.

We are still talking about hair right? LOL icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I think it does on some of the docs who post these pics over and over and think they are really doing something.

Other then that yes Im talking about hair

Im just tired of us having to say wooooo weeeee

thats gonna be a killer result.

Even Joe did a surgery on an piece of fruit that looked woooo and weeee.

what bugs me MORE than this is the docs that show the FINAL result without EVER showing a single, ALL IMPORTANT, graft placement pic. they show a before pic and the guy is like a NW 900,they tell you they he got 3500 grafts and in the after pic, the angles and hair length provided show full coverage and a thicker crown then ever before... i swear some of these drs think were idiots...

in my short time on this forum, ive seen several drs who are so terrible at documenting cases properly... how bout you sell us WITHOUT the deception docs??

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

One of my greatest challenges has been getting doctors to properly document their cases with the necessary descriptions and photos that will help our members adequately evaluate their results.

In my opinion, doctors should document a patient's progress like a scientific case study. Historically, scientific case studies are well documented with photos as necessary so anyone following the case study can gain a full understanding as to what was accomplished.

In the "Results Posted by Leading Hair Transplant Clinics" section of the forum, I've created a post called "How to Take and Present Compelling and Realistic Photos". Feel free to read through it and offer any suggestions that I may have missed that would be helpful when explaining to doctors how to properly document a case. Every time I email doctors about posting photos, I reference this thread. Your input will certainly be helpful to make it better. It may even put doctors under pressure to better document and present their cases.

Thanks for your constructive input.

Best wishes,

Bill

Perhaps there is great difficulty in getting patients to return to the clinics at specificied periods to record biometrics and photo-documentation. I am not excusing insufficient documentation on the part of the doctors, but would just like to point out that many of the patients come from great distances to receive surgery.

Options may include the doctor/clinic giving discounts to the patient on subsequent surgeries if they (the doctors/clinics) are allowed to study and record the patients' progress, paid airfare and hotel accomodations.

Additionally/alternately the clinic may inform the patient as to how to photo document the progress at least, bearing in mind that there are other measurable biometrics such as increase in hair shaft diameter and so on that must be measured with microscopes and other highly refined instruments.

This is why it is important that the patients record for themselves progress, via photos and may/should choose to create a blog on this forum to share the progress and result,(relative to the attending surgeon).

I believe incentives given to patients, by the doctors or clinics could be instrumental in promoting proper documentation.

Please criticize my comments.

take care...

You actually have some good suggestions.

What baffles me is some of these smaller clinics that have alot of local patients cant seem to get them back in .

Look at the top clinics ,they have patients from all over the world yet they are constantly providing final results pictures

3 immed postop pics to every one grownout is acceptable but your getting guys on here recommending some docs because the postop work looks "clean" and "refined"

I agree, it's gotten a bit ridiculous. Besides the obvious, Nakatsui and Gabel are the only doctors that spring to mind who I've seen solid documentation from. The combination of virtually ceasless immed-postops, combined with the glaringly poor documentation when a post-op does rear its head is a nasty combination.

The thing is, it should be obvious to the clinics that if they took the simple, clear steps (which people like Bill have made exceedingly easy to understand) to provide proper documentation they would be *heralded* and stand out....for stepping up the plate, and also in people being able to give truly positive evaluations of the results they are now doing justice to.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I prefer patient posted pictures rather than doctor posted pictures so this isnt a big issue to me. I figure doctors because of human nature would prefer to post their best pictures where with patients hopefully we would see the good and bad pictures. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Originally posted by mmhce:

Perhaps there is great difficulty in getting patients to return to the clinics at specificied periods to record biometrics and photo-documentation. I am not excusing insufficient documentation on the part of the doctors, but would just like to point out that many of the patients come from great distances to receive surgery.

Options may include the doctor/clinic giving discounts to the patient on subsequent surgeries if they (the doctors/clinics) are allowed to study and record the patients' progress, paid airfare and hotel accomodations.

Additionally/alternately the clinic may inform the patient as to how to photo document the progress at least, bearing in mind that there are other measurable biometrics such as increase in hair shaft diameter and so on that must be measured with microscopes and other highly refined instruments.

This is why it is important that the patients record for themselves progress, via photos and may/should choose to create a blog on this forum to share the progress and result,(relative to the attending surgeon).

I believe incentives given to patients, by the doctors or clinics could be instrumental in promoting proper documentation.

Please criticize my comments.

I think you're dead-on. Just take me, for example. I do plan on going back just for some good one year "after" pics, but I'm going to have to take a day off work (I'm a commission only type business so I won't get paid), buy a hotel, and drive four hours one way to do it. Now, I'm not 100% I'll do it, but I'm going to try.

And, I've posted on this board like 1,000 times! So, take someone who is unlike most of us who doesn't follow this site daily, I bet it's hard as hell to get him to come back for some solid after pics.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I'm told by many doctors that one of their biggest challenges is to get patients back in for follow up. So many of you are right on the money in that respect.

However, I'd be interested to hear from leading clinics who always seem to regularly get their patients back in for a follow up. Perhaps the topic of documenting cases with good quality photos should be discussed at this year's annual ISHRS conference. In fact, perhaps I'll send an email to Dr. Bill Parsley, this year's ISHRS president and suggest it.

I do feel that there are a number of doctors doing a great job presenting their results. At the same time, it's obvious some are posting the bare minimum just to get an album up there.

Inspired by this thread, I sent an email to all of our doctors with our requests and concerns of doctors posting less than optimal photos and information that prevents us from accurately evaluating the result. Hopefully this will encourage them to become a bit more involved.

The problem is, to present well documented cases and quality photos, one must record enough information and take quality photos. I've talked to several clinics who just haven't been in the habit of doing it, and thus when it comes time to present it, they just don't have it. I think some clinics don't see it as important and don't make the time. In my opinion, this isn't prudent thinking in a time where patients are demanding to see results before getting a procedure done, especially with the continued growth of the internet and how busy this community is getting.

I think many doctors still aren't used to how powerful and meaningful the internet is, and now have to learn how to chart, take, and present good information and photos. I expect over time, this will change.

In the meantime, patients will continue to make educated decisions about surgeons they are considering based on what they see. We can't ask for anything more.

Best wishes,

Bill

Actually i don't think there is such thing as too many pictures. The more the better, so that users can see the progress. That way, altered or deceptive pictures can be pointed quickly.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley