How soon to start scalp laxity exercises

mixedguy....A little over two weeks ago I had my surgery at Hasson/Wong. Dr. Wong said he could "only" place 4352 grafts because he felt my scalp laxity was not exactly ready for the 5300+ graft procedure I had planned on. Although I am quite pleased with 4352 grafts, I wished I had been more diligent about doing scalp laxity exercises and started earlier.

These words are from the Hasson/Wong website:

"Patients can help make their hair transplant experience a success by performing scalp exercises in the weeks or even months prior to surgery. Scalp exercises can increase scalp laxity which may allow more grafts to be harvested in a single session. Even patients with good laxity can benefit from scalp exercises."

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

It's never too early to begin. Starting early could be a good idea in case you find yourself 'forgetting' as you get closer to the procedure. Definitely be diligent in the final few weeks before the date, though.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

We routinely get 3500 grafts and my strips are almost always the width of a stick of gum. I generally avoid wider strips, not because of manpower and cutting/placing, but rather because I worry about scalp closure tension causing a worse scar.

I ask people with tight scalps on physical exam to start stretching 1 minute before meals a month before the case. That makes a huge difference.

However, if I were going for wider strips I would imagine H and W are correct that starting earlier is helpful.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Mixedguy,

As others have already stated, the sooner you start scalp exercises the better. In my experience, scalp exercises can help increase scalp elasticity enough to harvest a greater quantity of grafts during a single procedure. It's typically recommended to do scalp exercies for 15 to 30 minutes a day. Personally, I broke up 30 minutes into two 15 minute sessions, one in the morning and one at night before bed.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 1 month later...

I know alot of sources say to start the exercises approx 2 weeks to a month prior to your procedure for 30 mins a day. If I did it for a hour a day 1 week prior, would that that be the same?

Also, I know that people say that scalp laxity exercises increase the number of grafts that can be harvested. Is this because the scalp is looser/not as tight? (hope I'm using the right words here).

Well I'm just a few weeks away from my procedure date. I just starting doing the exercises yesterday and I noticed that my scalp is very tight (not much laxity). If you have hardly any laxity is it still posible to extract a strip?

mixed guy,

I think you will be just fine. If you are faithful to do them as directed, you should have enough laxity in 2 weeks.

And yes, these exercises can potentially create "more play" or looseness in the scalp to allow the surgeon to take a "wider strip" which can potentially produce more grafts.

Best wishes to you my friend. ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 4 years later...

It certainly cannot hurt because it's well worth it to gain enough laxity for the proposed strip that will be excised.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY