Should I continue Propecia after 8 years?

Nicky

Whatever you do, don't stop taking propecia. Yes you've been on it for eight years, and yes its effectiveness reduces over time, but think of where you would be without it.

If you stop taking it now, you will get catch up hairloss - you will lose all the hair you would have lost as if you had never taken the drug.

I've read about tons of guys who, after several years stopped taking propecia, only to lose lots of hair. But going back on the drug didn't regrow the hair they lost.

If I were you, I would stay on propecia long term, then get hair transplants done in stages. The only time I would come off the drug is when my hairloss reaches the same level as my dad's. Besides, you've got a front third transplant, and you're going to look amzing in a few months. Good luck.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Thanks so much for the feedback i really appreciate the comments. I agree, just needed to hear it.. no one really wants to depend on a pill for the rest of their life but if it will prevent me for balding, after all that is our struggle.. ill do it..

Oh, mattj

I do have loss in the crown area...i think just from that angle it doesnt seem like do...once i heal and have at least a year or so in my front HT...im gonna go for a second round and fix the crown...

thanks again!

Nicky,

I agree with our members. The effects of Propecia are sometimes unseen, because it's usually a lot better at helping us keep our existing hair than regrowing new ones. Thus, if you are not experiencing any side effects and your hair loss appears to have stabilized, in my opinion, it's best to stay on it.

Now I will admit that I took a risk about 4 months ago and cut my dosage in half. Instead of taking 1/4 Proscar pill daily. I now take 1/4 Proscar pill 4 days a week. The good news is, I have not lost any additional natural hair (which is the hair below the crown) after reducing my dosage.

For the record, I'm not suggesting you do this. It's a risk I felt like taking and it seemed to work in my favor.

All the Best,

Bill

Thank you Bill!

I was considering in slicing the pill (propecia)

in half as well..I also read many places you can take it every other day...but I know myself, i'll get paranoid and just end up looking in the mirror all day being a worry wart.

Funny thing many years ago i went to Bosley to get a consultation...lucky me i never went with a HT there...

but that is where i go to get a refill for my Propecia..

Wonder what they might say when they realize i had a HT somewhere else..LOL

so yeah i'm just gonna stick with it.

Thanks guys..

_nick

Nicky, I'll just echo what a bunch of the other guys wrote - Propecia has kept most of my hair intact - for a very long time. It's true that it may reduce in effectiveness over time, but you're still preventing significant hairloss. I look at it just like any routine maintenance you need for your home or car. Stay with it...even though it's an expense all of us would like to lose!

• 4 weeks later...

I was on Propecia for about 8 years. I've been off it now for over 2 years. Being off of it I've noticed thinning all over. I never used to be able to see the scalp in my crown area, but now I can. Sucks, but I had to do it to conceive my first and second child. It did harm my sperm. I know this because I did a DNA fragmentation test which greatly improved after going off of it. It wasn't easy conceiving, but I got it done after many months of trying.

I've been back on it for just a few days now. I did have great results the first time I went on it although it did temporarily kill my sex drive. I hope I get near the same results the second time with or without the temporary sex drive issue.

Not that you need to hear it from another poster, but yeah definitely stay on it. There have been many guys on here and some who I have talked to via email who have been on it 10-15 years who say its still working pretty well for them. Some have said they've lost maybe a little bit from where they started at, but nonetheless say its doing well for them and couldn't imagine where they would be without it.