5 month anniversary today....am I being impatient?

Gettinold

Well here's 5 months after getting 1693 FUT grafts to my crown..Definitely a lot of noticeable growth, but I guess I woulda have hoped for a bit more coverage by now, instead of still having a defined bald spot with some hair in it. I know I still have a ways to go though...It looks darker and fuller in the pic due to the camera flash, I just now have a "thin spot" rather than a "bald spot", but it's definitnely still a "spot". I still need to use just as much Toppik if I go out without a hat on. I'm sure I'm just being impatient, but I sure hope it starts to thicken up soon. Any input?

SAM_0527.jpg.d5b9dfd75941f96239538fa1e0db552e.jpg

Well here's 5 months after getting 1693 FUT grafts to my crown..Definitely a lot of noticeable growth, but I guess I woulda have hoped for a bit more coverage by now, instead of still having a defined bald spot with some hair in it. I know I still have a ways to go though...It looks darker and fuller in the pic due to the camera flash, I just now have a "thin spot" rather than a "bald spot", but it's definitnely still a "spot". I still need to use just as much Toppik if I go out without a hat on. I'm sure I'm just being impatient, but I sure hope it starts to thicken up soon. Any input?

5 months is WAY to early for any HT and especially the crown. The crown almost always grows in later.

Badbeat is right it is too early. Crown's do tend to take longer than hairline work, so you should expect to see growth and maturity until 12-16 months.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Gettinold,

5 months is very early and too early to judge a result. I think I mentioned that 1700 grafts in that area was not going to be enough (depending on your goals). You needed at least twice that many based on the shaved area in your post op photos. I mentioned this in your 3 month assessment and you seemed a little dismissive to that idea. Not that you were rude or anything, but it didn't seem like you gave it much thought. I understand about not being too concerned about numbers, but they are what they are, and there is only so much the best doctor on the planet can do with 1700 grafts in a crown.

I would not suspect that you will be able to ditch the toppik even with full growth if your expectations are not to have a noticeable (to you but maybe not others) area of thinning.

I am really sorry to say that, but I have always appreciated honesty. I hope I am wrong.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

It's not that I was dismissive, but multiple doctors gave me the same ballpark number of grafts when I sent them pictures/measurements, and my doctor was in agreement when we had the in-person consultation, and I don't think any reputable doctor would perform a transplant that "just gives you some hair there" without any kind of coverage. I understand that it may be a little thinner than the rest of your hair, but at this point I still have full faith in my doctor's ability and know/hope that this isn't "as good as it's gonna get"

Hey Gettin old

I really hate to tell you this as I was soooo disappointed with the first ht to my crown which was similar to yours. The first session I had 1900 grafts and the coverage was thin, From a well respected doctor, I te4ied to post pics on my profile but files wouldnt open. I can continue to work on them if u qre interested in seeing them. I had a tripple flap surgery after that followed by two more transplants, the last one feb 27 of this year.....still got a ways to gho but now I dont wear toppik. but after my first one of 1900 I still had to wear toppik for years, so devistated....I hope u get the results u want, just wanted to share my story as it is very similar to yours good luck

Edited by Lastcall1

At 5 months, your results are approximately 30% matured. Like a few others are saying, you still have so much time to grow and mature, and it's too early to judge.

However, thank you for keeping us updated!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

found this on a surgeons website who charges per session and inplants 6000 to 7500

"charge per area for each session. A full session to the front half of the scalp will cost approximately $5,000.00 to $7,500.00 plus taxes, ( 3000-4000 plus hairs in varying sizes of follicular unit grafts). If the crown (back half of the balding area ), is transplanted, in addition to the front I charge $7,500.00 to $9,500.00 plus taxes, ( 6000-7500 plus hairs in varying sizes of follicular unit grafts ). ALL COSTS ARE IN CANADIAN DOLLARS."

thats why he learned the tripple flap. gives you more like 8000 grafts being pulled up from the sides and back of your head. He told me to get full coverage on a spot like yours and mine, 4-5k grafts for full coverage. That sucked to hear after i got 1710 from him. Actually had to make a choice, keep putting in more grafts or go with the tripple flap crown renewal procedure which would cut out all of my previous grafts. Went with the tripple flap. great decision, got a quarter inch wide and 3 inch long stretch back scar, had small transplants to fill in the scar (free of charge) and he credited me half of the first transplant because he felt bad that i paid all that, now we're cutting them out. Oh well, as you can see from my profile......well worth it.i'll try to upload my befores so you can see it, let me know how you make out getting old, hope your happy with the outcome.

Thanks for the info and support....Lastcall, sorry to hear about your heartbreak, that must've been very hard, but as I look back at my photos, my month-to-month marks always seem to show noticable improvement, so I'm sure that even if I do still have to put a little concealer in the area, it's still bettter than the big shiny patch I sported before that only a hat or 3 pounds of toppik could hide...but I'm not panicked or worried at this point, just being my impatient self and not paying attention to how blessed I am by having even that much hair where there was NONE before....thanks for the support everyone..