When does the scar stretch, if any?

When does the scar stretch, if any? I understand that one needs to be careful the first few weeks after HT in order to minimize scar stretching. However, when should i no longer be worried about scar stretching? I am at 2 months post-op, and so far, it is ok.

For those of you who had the scar stretched, when did you notice that it happened?

Thanks.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Scars can stretch at anytime. But the first 6 months usually is the most likely, and of that, I feel better looking at my scars at 6 weeks. The deep layer is mostly dissolved by that time, and I can see if the skin has stretched.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

That is really interesting Dr. Lindsey.

Does this mean I should still avoid activities like playing basketball or running and squatting at the gym (all things that I have not yet done at this time)?

I really thought that at the four month mark I would be able to begin doing these activities.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Thanks guys for the responses.

So, what are us active guys supposed to do? I always thought that once a scar was mostly healed, that is the way the scar would remain.

If a scar continues to stretch over time, especially with heavy exertion, are we supposed to remain inactive as HT patients?? At what point can we expect the scar to not stretch or widen?

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Originally posted by dr. lindsey:

Scars can stretch at anytime. But the first 6 months usually is the most likely, Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Dr. Lindsey what could be a cause of a scar stretching in the first 10-15 days ? Can loose sutures combined with some tension allow this ?

Eman and others. You ought to ask your doctor when you can do what activity. As I have posted many times, the day the sutures are removed our patients can do anything they want EXCEPT: 1. crunches or ab work with the neck really bent forward 2. bench presses with arching of the back that puts pressure on the scar line.

As a lifelong bench presser (?spelling) and one who almost always arches my back to get that extra weight up, that can limit some guys for a few months.

Other than that, I don't restrict our patients activities.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

That doesn't sound too bad. I guess as long as cardio isn't put off too long I should be fine. I will miss the weights but I can forget about them for awhile to get some hair

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week

Fish Oil capsules w/ Omega-3

I'm amazed that so many people are weight lifting and exercising within a couple of months of HT surgery. I had plastic surgery done in conjunction with skin cancer surgery by a top plastic surgeon, who told me to stay off the treadmill and avoid exercise for at least 40 days. He was right, I followed his instructions and had minimal scarring. The tension for a HT is far greater than what I went through with that surgery, and the risk of scarring IMO is greater.

Like I always blog. Do what YOUR doctor tells you as that is what works for his/her patients.

Exercise with the limitations I discussed in an earlier thread have not been a problem for our patients yet.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Originally posted by Curious:

I'm amazed that so many people are weight lifting and exercising within a couple of months of HT surgery. I had plastic surgery done in conjunction with skin cancer surgery by a top plastic surgeon, who told me to stay off the treadmill and avoid exercise for at least 40 days. He was right, I followed his instructions and had minimal scarring. The tension for a HT is far greater than what I went through with that surgery, and the risk of scarring IMO is greater.

Curious:

I would say that many of HT patients are vain/metrosexual (which is good thing) and they want to look good. Hence the desire to have a good body. That is why they wanted to have HT in the first place.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley