Most common cause of hair loss - hyperhydrosis

miked

COSTA MESA, Calif., April 21, 2009 ??” In the United States, one of the most common causes of hair loss often goes undetected: hyperhydrosis, also known as hyperhidrosis, or excessive sweating. Erkkie Harris-Wells, who diagnoses and treats hair and scalp ailments in her role as trichologist and founder of the Miyohara International Trichology Clinic (http://www.miyoharainternational.com), stated, 'Hyperhydrosis accounts for about 70 percent of hair loss cases for both males and females. While European physicians are accustomed to this type of diagnosis, most American doctors are unaware of the link between hyperhydrosis and hair damage. It can't be treated with a drug like Rogaine. I'm even writing an article to alert hair transplant surgeons to the ways in which hyperhydrosis can compromise their restoration procedures.'

Sweating is a generally healthy mechanism in which sweat glands help remove impurities and cool the body down from overheating. 'But excessive sweating can be harmful to the hair and scalp because of the lactic acid in our sweat secretions,' explained Harris-Wells. The acid strips away the epithelial sheath, which is the outer protective layer of the hair. As a result, hair loses volume and density, and it becomes porous and dry to the point of brittleness. The excess acid can also cause inflammation of the scalp, and if untreated can produce red, sore pustules that will become infected with bacteria. Harris-Wells has treated both genders, from adults to children, for this condition.

'The most notable form of hyperhydrosis is excessive sweating in the hands, feet, underarms and face,' she said. 'For example, people with thyroid problems may not outwardly sweat but still undergo the internal chemical processes that lead to lactic acid being secreted onto the scalp and hair.'

Hyperhydrosis cases range from mild to severe in terms of hair loss. Sufferers can include hair transplant patients, men and women with hormonal imbalances, avid gym-goers, sports figures and athletes, highly stressed individuals, and people with medical conditions that are genetic.

Harris-Wells' clinic is expanding its line of products formulated to counteract the effects of hyperhydrosis as well as other forms of hair loss conditions. Harris-Wells can diagnose out-of-state individuals who send her hair samples and a copy of their last medical exam. She will also refer them to appropriate medical practitioners as needed.

I sweat excessively, especially in the armpits when im not even doing a physical activity, so I could see this article having some truth to it..

I personally dont believe the above theory has much scientific evidence behind it. I posted it to see what others thought.

the fact that they mention a "line of products" formulated to counteract... makes me suspicious of the whole idea.

A shower should be a reasonably good antidote for sweating.

Isn't there a possibility that immediate post-surgery, excessive perspiration (or perspiration not removed by gentle washing) can harm the newly planted grafts, due to increased propensity for bacterial build up?

take care...

mmhce,

Theoretically, yes, but actually the occurrence of infections post surgery is less than 0.1% of surgeries. In my practice I have never seen one, other than the occasional patient that gets some pustules from ingrown hairs or spicules a few months after the transplant. However, caution is recommended after surgery to limit aerobic exercise for one week after surgery, not really because they cannot but to prevent exactly what you are describing , that increased perspiration outdoors can bring dirt and grime to the surgical area.

You hit the nail right on the head Dr., B...Sweating dosn't cause infections or hair loss...bacteria causes infections..."MOTHER- INLAWS" cause hair loss....lol...lol...lol...

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

My best guess is the person who wrote this article sells anti-perspirant :-).

This article is also directly contradictory with hundreds of articles that says genetic baldness is the most common cause of hair loss. Had there article stated that hyperhydrosis can potentially cause or contribute to hair loss, it may have been more believable - though the logic is still faulty.

Since the armpits and genitals are two of the warmest areas of the body generating the most sweat, why doesn't this excessive sweat cause armpit or pubic hair loss? And why is DHT resistant hair on the sides and back of the scalp (and thus transplanted hair) resistent to hair loss caused by excessive sweating?

Interesting thought, but I emphatically disagree.

Bill

• 8 years later...

I have hyper hydrosis on the head .. where I will sweat a lot on my forehead n head if I do light activities. The weather is warm , or eat anything spicy ..

I can see how it makes sense. My family has no history of MPB n I kept wondering why my hair is thinning out .. n I have read on google that hyper hydrosis of the scalp can contribute to hairloss