Dr. Carlos Wesley

DavidZ

formertrackstar,

Since Dr. Wesley already explained his consultation fees, I don't understand why you would have been charged $500. Also, I see that your profile says you are a patient of Dr. Ron Shapiro. Did you consult with Dr. Wesley and then decide on another doctor - even after you paid $500?

Since Dr. Wesley couldn't possibly reply to your questions/concerns without knowing who you are, please send me a private message with your full name and if you have it, the date of your consultation with him. I will then pass it along to Dr. Wesley who can then respond to your specific concerns.

For more information, please visit "Maintaining a Fair and Safe Environment on our Forum for Patients and Physicians".

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

I did consult with Dr. Carlos Wesley and Dr. Walter Unger before choosing Dr. Shapiro.. I will send you a private message with my name and other info..

Formertrackstar

Firstly, I've received consent from the patient who initiated this thread to post his pre-operative images...

Now, regarding the posts by Formertrackstar: I can understand your frustration from the consultation charge that you described years ago and I will try and help you straighten things out as best I can. I can assure you that, whatever amount you may have been charged for your consultation that was scheduled with Dr. Unger, I did not receive a penny of the consultation fee.

During that time period that you described having your consultation I would often provide general information to patients who were waiting to see Dr. Walter Unger rather than having them wait in the lobby. It was simply to streamline their consultation experience, give them more information, and prevent them from being either bored or unnecessarily exposed in a common waiting area. I did this without any payment in return. Checks would be made out to Dr. Unger.

In trying to think of reasons why any patient would ever be charged more than the standard $250 consultation fee that Dr. Unger has charged for at least six years now I can only think of a few possibilities: Did you have any additional procedure performed (e.g. cortisone injections, a diagnostic biopsy)? Did you, by chance, make two separate $250 payments (perhaps a $250 prepayment that was overlooked)?

I received word that you called our office last week and that our secretary was unable to locate your chart. That is very unusual and makes rectifying everything more challenging. Fortunately, you mentioned in your public blog that you had paid Dr. Unger by check. It would help if you can track down a signed copy of that check so that we can best address this frustrating event.

Sincerely,

Carlos K. Wesley, M.D.

DZbefore_overhead.jpg.bea7b645b3e199fd7e95e29812e21898.jpg

DZbefore_front.jpg.3ad4fcc8e73dc0a396b8f42bfcb50bee.jpg

DZbefore_left.jpg.e150c823076534d08df6e7e7faff9595.jpg

DZbefore_right.jpg.1065ee5e98da17f8bce531b09ebf3148.jpg

I believe very few approved surgeons on this site charge for consults. The only one I know of for sure is Dr. Bernstein, who charges $285. $500 would be way out of line!

With respect, a surgeon can charge whatever they please for a consultation or procedure. This procedure is elective AND cosmetic.

Most of us expect to be compensated for our time. We also realize that if we ask for excessive compensation that we won't have any work. Plastic & cosmetic surgeons with exorbitant fees just won't get patients unless their work and marketing is superb.

Maybe formertrackstar did pay $500 for a consultation, or maybe he did not. But why all the fuss about this being "out of line". Remember this procedure is not only elective its also cosmetic.

If this was a charge for a life or limb saving surgery it would be a different matter.

The recommendation is for quality and results, NOT finding a bargain.

His office is on 70th & Park upper east side Manhattan, right by DKNY, Prada, and Michael Kors. Everything is really expensive in Manhattan. I lived on 69th and riverside for 10 years and my 1 bedroom apartment was $3300 a month. The cost of doing business is extremely high in NYC. I currently am in Phoenix and all real estate is about 25% of its Manhattan price.

A simpler way to look at is that surgeons like Dr. Wesley, don't require major travel for about 3+ million people. (its $2 for a subway ride if memory serves me correctly) By paying exorbitant lease/rent fees he is essentially "travelling to the patient" and covering the cost of travel.

Taking the train out to see Dr. Feller or a flight to see Dr. Rahal for a face to face consult costs money, the patients money. More importantly it takes time and energy so if you are a lawyer billing $200 an hour and miss a day of work for a flight to Ottawa, you basically spent ~2k plus all travel expenses.

The problem is that when people go into price comparison mode they don't factor in travel and time away into the equation. Also I am sure he has a lot of "window shoppers" who come in to see him, get an idea as to whether they are a good candidate and go bargain basement hunting elsewhere.

Dr. Wesley doesn't have to comment on this; he is just being nice.

Anyone that has run a business is going to understand all this.

• Like 1

Dr. Bernstein's routine consult fee is $185 (not 285).

Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

Schedule a consultation HERE to request a graft estimate and quote.

Follow us on InstagramFacebookTwitter, and YouTube

The health and safety of our patients and staff is our top priority. For a more detailed look at our safety measures, click here. 

Got questions? Call us at 212-826-2400 

Dr. Bernstein is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

For physicians, lawyers, accountants, and many other professionals, their time and expertise are their stock and trade. Top plastic surgeons usually charge for consultations. Some credit the consultation fee against their surgical fee if the patient subsequently has a procedure with them, some don't. I think plastic surgeons and hair restoration surgeons are a good comparisom because hair restoration surgeons are essentially cosmetic surgeons. I personally have no problem with hair restoration surgeons charging a consultation fee. I would hope that my ht surgeon's time and expertise are valuable and in demand. The fact that a number of ht physicians have chosen to forego consultation fees as a business/marketing/competitive decision is fine, but I don't hold it against those who make a different decision.

• 8 years later...

So I just called Dr Wesley’s office to see if I could set up a consultation with him. The women I spoke to told me that the consultation fee was $500 for 45 minutes. Now is this correct? How does his fee go from 100-200 to $500? And for only 45 minutes too? 

I once tried to setup a consultation with this great doctor. This was earlier this year. The woman I spoke to said the fee was $400 for a consult. I had to respond asking if that was a typo. She then confirmed it was not. I'm not going to go into further thoughts about how I feel about that other than it's probably the most insane price I've ever been quoted for anything, in my life. 

55 minutes ago, ML488 said:

I once tried to setup a consultation with this great doctor. This was earlier this year. The woman I spoke to said the fee was $400 for a consult. I had to respond asking if that was a typo. She then confirmed it was not. I'm not going to go into further thoughts about how I feel about that other than it's probably the most insane price I've ever been quoted for anything, in my life. 

Yes I understand what you mean. I’ve been looking at some top rated doctors in NYC and I understand some people’s comment about the doctor’s time being valuable too, and that we are paying for their time. Nonetheless this seems like a high price for a 45 minute consultation. 
I saw dr Bernstein’s office in 2017 and I paid $185 for a initial consultation. I was seen by another doctor and he was very quick to get me out. He gave me a print out about how to use rogaine, which I was already using. He’s advice was that I had the hairline of a person my age and that I didn’t need a hairline of a younger person. 
I honestly think that I should have the hairline of a “young” person. I am only 34, it’s not like I’m 40 or 50 year old trying to look like I’m 20 or 30. But anyways that’s besides the matter. I just think that’s a little steep. And I’m wondering if they charge a different price with different people. I mean why not post the price on your website then? 

that’s just my opinion of course 

• Administrators

You have to take demographics into account. I don’t believe there’s a single surgeon in NYC not charging for consultations. I don’t see an issue as long as you’re getting a service with the visit. For example, in-depth check for miniaturization.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

18 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You have to take demographics into account. I don’t believe there’s a single surgeon in NYC not charging for consultations. I don’t see an issue as long as you’re getting a service with the visit. For example, in-depth check for miniaturization.

Yes I agree if it’s an in-depth check then that sounds reasonable. Especially if they put that cost towards the actual price of the procedure. 
I guess I’m just in the mind set of my last visit to Dr. Bernstein who gave me a initial consultation to see if I was a candidate for HT. I don’t want to go to Dr Wesley and pay $500 just to be told that I’m not a candidate for HT
Also it doesn’t seem right for a doctor not to post on their website the actual price of the consultation. I had to research from others on different forums to get an idea of how much the consult is. 

I mean take ML488, he was quoted $400 earlier this year. Why is there a difference I price there? In 2012 Dr. Wesley posted his response to a person speaking about the consultation price. And Dr. Wesley says that he started charging $100 for his consultations and that it’s also reasonable to charge $200 and $250 for a ONE HOUR discussion. Which I agree with. But today I was told $500 for 45 minutes. It’s just the difference in price that’s what I find hard to take in. 

E6C9D2A7-8829-4E18-A7F5-64576796D6F9.png

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Mar4art said:

Yes I agree if it’s an in-depth check then that sounds reasonable. Especially if they put that cost towards the actual price of the procedure. 
I guess I’m just in the mind set of my last visit to Dr. Bernstein who gave me a initial consultation to see if I was a candidate for HT. I don’t want to go to Dr Wesley and pay $500 just to be told that I’m not a candidate for HT
Also it doesn’t seem right for a doctor not to post on their website the actual price of the consultation. I had to research from others on different forums to get an idea of how much the consult is. 

I mean take ML488, he was quoted $400 earlier this year. Why is there a difference I price there? In 2012 Dr. Wesley posted his response to a person speaking about the consultation price. And Dr. Wesley says that he started charging $100 for his consultations and that it’s also reasonable to charge $200 and $250 for a ONE HOUR discussion. Which I agree with. But today I was told $500 for 45 minutes. It’s just the difference in price that’s what I find hard to take in. 

E6C9D2A7-8829-4E18-A7F5-64576796D6F9.png

That’s fair, I can understand your concerns. Let me reach out to Dr. Wesley and find out why, I’m sure there’s a reasonable explanation. Also, if you’re indeed strongly considering him, the cost should be added to your overall cost. I will confirm that as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.