Return to Low-Dose Fin After Side Effects

jackisback1

Has anybody with previous side effects switched to a lower dosage of Fin (I'm thinking 0.25 mg) and avoided the recurrence of sides? This is the plan I've been thinking about. I've been off the drug for 5 whole years now, but I'd like to get back on a smaller dosage. I'm worried now though, because I've seen from a lot of studies that 0.25mg blocks the same amount of DHT as 1mg. Does that mean I'm likely to eventually incur the same/similar side-effects I experienced before regardless of the dosage?

Edited by jackisback1
more info

In case anyone wants more backstory in order to answer, long story short: I stopped taking Fin 5 years ago due to some sexual side effects. They were pretty horrible, and if what happened to me was truly caused by the Fin, some of the sides have not gone away. However, I was recently in a longterm relationship and had lots of amazing sex and very few misfires, so I had a lot of recovery.

I recently got an HT to fill in my hairline, and I'd like to go back on Fin at a very low dosage, because at 25 yrs old, I know I'll soon be losing more hair, and I'd like to avoid the cosmetic, economic, time-consuming, and pain-inducing factors that go along with a 2nd HT as long as possible!

I started on 1mg a day and tapered down to .25 every other day. Unfortunately, after 3.5 months I've called it a day with Fin. It didn't make much of a difference lowering the dose.

It's said that sides will disappear with prolonged use but I don't recall anyone claiming this on this site or any other for that matter.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

In case anyone wants more backstory in order to answer, long story short: I stopped taking Fin 5 years ago due to some sexual side effects. They were pretty horrible, and if what happened to me was truly caused by the Fin, some of the sides have not gone away. However, I was recently in a longterm relationship and had lots of amazing sex and very few misfires, so I had a lot of recovery.

I recently got an HT to fill in my hairline, and I'd like to go back on Fin at a very low dosage, because at 25 yrs old, I know I'll soon be losing more hair, and I'd like to avoid the cosmetic, economic, time-consuming, and pain-inducing factors that go along with a 2nd HT as long as possible!

I reduced to 1mg a week because of side effects and the side effects still continued to get worse - so I abandoned it and it took me a while to get full sexual function back. Just be very careful if you do back on it

Thanks for the reply Matt. I'm kind of more wondering about the idea of quitting and then coming back on it later. I firmly believe (based on experience) that once you have sides, you've got to get off the drug completely to give your body the chance to recover. I doubt anyone will see improvement from tapering down unless they take a break from the drug first.

I have seen some posts on the forum where people who experienced sides reduced the daily dose or took it every other day or 3 times per week and the sides stopped. I agree that you should be very careful, but it might work for you. Talk to your doctor about it as well.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

i had major sexual sides kick in bout 3 and a half years in.

Im 9 months off now and i think im back to normal more or less from when i started Fin. I initially thought i had no sides in all that time.

I can safely say now it was affecting me although it happened in a very subtle dulling process so it wasnt overly noticeable at the time. It happens so subtly people forget how they felt before they started.

I always say long term users who say they have no sides should take a year off it and then confirm if they were having no sides.

My only advice is to get all your bloodwork done , hormone levels checked prior to starting it again. People on here advising people to jump on this drug inlcuding doctors without mentioning this are just plain irresponsible in my opinion. You NEED baseline results data to refer back too should you have issues.

Its an extremley powerful drug that no-one knows the long term effects are or how it can affect any one individual.

Bobilero, that is a great point and what really worries me. This is a powerful drug and should not be taken lightly. We all want to do all we can to have our hair, but it is not worth damaging our overall health. What worries me is that I could be having subtle side effects that may cause long term harm. It also concerns me that articles and research over time have only come up with more and more warnings about the drug.....that makes me wonder what is next that we don't even know about yet.

Ive had a unopen pack of fin sitting on my table since May, my dr was happy to give the medication but warned me of the side effects. Im still thinking about if I want to start this drug.????

Ive had a unopen pack of fin sitting on my table since May, my dr was happy to give the medication but warned me of the side effects. Im still thinking about if I want to start this drug.????

It is a tough call. I have been using it for about 1.5 years and am trying to decide if I want to stop or not.

i had major sexual sides kick in bout 3 and a half years in.

Im 9 months off now and i think im back to normal more or less from when i started Fin. I initially thought i had no sides in all that time.

I can safely say now it was affecting me although it happened in a very subtle dulling process so it wasnt overly noticeable at the time. It happens so subtly people forget how they felt before they started.

I always say long term users who say they have no sides should take a year off it and then confirm if they were having no sides.

My only advice is to get all your bloodwork done , hormone levels checked prior to starting it again. People on here advising people to jump on this drug inlcuding doctors without mentioning this are just plain irresponsible in my opinion. You NEED baseline results data to refer back too should you have issues.

Its an extremley powerful drug that no-one knows the long term effects are or how it can affect any one individual.

that is the most sensible post I have ever seen written about this drug. I too had awful sexual side effects which built up over time. It really bothers me that doctors and hair transplant professional are handing this drug out without any proper warnings about it - I recently argued this case with a hair transplant surgeon I consulted - he basically said if I went through with a trasplant that he would put me on finasteride as well (without knowing any of my previous history) - he didnt even mention side effects and I assume he is saying the same to all his patients. Any drug that messes with your hormones cannot be anything but bad in my opinion. I have given up on all drugs and settled for a partial hair system instead

Mikeylad: Please post pics of the hairpiece!!! I have actually already purchased and plopped down $800 for a nice hairpiece...but I decided I was too young to throw the cards in yet...perhaps a mistake, because now post-HT, I'm feeling pretty locked into trying Fin again--something I'd once swore I wouldn't touch again. I think my HT will turn out great, but when I think about the potential for sides, almost makes me wish I'd just gone the hairpiece route. Problem with those is: you really don't have a good idea what it'll look like until you're shaved and the unit is all cut up for you.

21: I started taking Fin at 18. Didn't see sides until I took a month-long break to shock my system when I was 20, 2 yrs later. When I went back on, bad things started to happen.

Bob: Thanks for pointing out to everyone. I'd decided the same as well. I'll get my sutures removed next week from a doctor I've not seen too many times, but has a better reputation than my main GP. I already decided to discuss Propecia with him and most importantly get bloodwork done so I can get a baseline for myself.

Hey everyone,

Do you know if Finasteride has been found to work with lower dosages than 1mg per day? I've been taking 1mg/day for years (like 10), and I do suffer from some sexual side effects. Not horrendous, but definitely some. If my side effects never got any worse, I'd be okay. But, I'm very concerned about long term.....and getting worse. The recent reports of about Propecia have scared me (even though the test group of 54 men is extremely small). I've had 2 previous HT. The Fin has kept my "original" hair looking good. I KNOW it works and has prevented, or slowed down big time, further loss. I'm thinking about stopping Fin but am scared too death that once I do my hair will fall out (I know of a guy that was taking Fin for years, like me, and stopped cold turkey....in 6 months he was almost bald).

So, if anyone has any info on the effectiveness of Fin at LOWER dosages, please let me know. I'd like to start cutting my 1mg/day in half and see what results I get - both my hair and the sexual side effects, but if lower dosages have shown to have the same effect sexually as the higher dosage, then what's the point. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Several people have reported taking it at lower doses, .5mg/ day or 1mg every other day or even 3 times per week and still have the same effect on keeping your hair and with side effects reduced or eliminated.

Hey everyone,

Do you know if Finasteride has been found to work with lower dosages than 1mg per day? I've been taking 1mg/day for years (like 10), and I do suffer from some sexual side effects. Not horrendous, but definitely some. If my side effects never got any worse, I'd be okay. But, I'm very concerned about long term.....and getting worse. The recent reports of about Propecia have scared me (even though the test group of 54 men is extremely small). I've had 2 previous HT. The Fin has kept my "original" hair looking good. I KNOW it works and has prevented, or slowed down big time, further loss. I'm thinking about stopping Fin but am scared too death that once I do my hair will fall out (I know of a guy that was taking Fin for years, like me, and stopped cold turkey....in 6 months he was almost bald).

So, if anyone has any info on the effectiveness of Fin at LOWER dosages, please let me know. I'd like to start cutting my 1mg/day in half and see what results I get - both my hair and the sexual side effects, but if lower dosages have shown to have the same effect sexually as the higher dosage, then what's the point. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

If you've been taking it for 10 years then I am sure the side effects would have reached their peak by now. When I took it I reduced to 1mg a week to try to combat sexual side effects, but my problems continued to worsen even on a really low dose. It sounds like you are able to tolerate the drug a lot better than I did though as my side effects were really bad - I think in reality it is probably slightly different for everyone but it is a scary drug

I've found that taking a 50 mg. Zinc supplement really helps out.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I have stopped taking Finasteride after 4 months due to sexual side affects also last 3 weeks i am having frequent urination problem .will continue using Rogaine and Nizoral and also started using Ecophane Tablets twice a day.

I've been off it for 2 weeks and feel like a million dollars. It really did affect my mood more than anything.

Despite it not working for me I still think people should give it a go. 3 months seems like a good amount of time to test for sides.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I've been off it for 2 weeks and feel like a million dollars. It really did affect my mood more than anything.

Despite it not working for me I still think people should give it a go. 3 months seems like a good amount of time to test for sides.

Did you see any results at all?

Koenig,

There was a study (can't link to it per the forum rules) that said:

- Scalp skin DHT: from doses of 0.05mg all the way through 5mg, the amount of inhibited DHT was about the same.

- Serum DHT: from doses of 0.2mg all the way through 5mg, the amount of inhibited DHT was about the same.

Also, I read on the forum that a doctor (his name escapes me) claims that 0.5mg of finasteride is 80% as effective as 1mg.

So, I'd say if you lowered it to 0.5mg/day there's a good chance you'd still be able to maintain your hair (no guarantees though). You may even get away with 0.25mg/day.

z