How long does it take tightness to go away after FUT?

I am one month post op.

The day after the op, my donor area was real tight. Thing is, it is still pretty tight, even if not entirely as mucn as it used to be.

How long does it take this tightness to go away? Does it ever go away?

I am afraid to do things to stretch the donor area? I'm afraid to even lift weights. Do I do any damage by doing things that stretch the area?

Yes, it will eventually go away. Everyone heals differently so be patient and take it easy.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

How much is the longest time it can take to heal? It is still pretty tight after a full month. I am starting to think a mega session really is better than 2 small sessions so that you don't have to go through this twice.

Do some peopel feel tightness their whole life?

Can I make the scar worse by bending my neck and stretching after a month?

What about the recipient area? It is really numb. Is this normal after a month?

How much is the longest time it can take to heal? It is still pretty tight after a full month. I am starting to think a mega session really is better than 2 small sessions so that you don't have to go through this twice.

Do some peopel feel tightness their whole life?

Can I make the scar worse by bending my neck and stretching after a month?

What about the recipient area? It is really numb. Is this normal after a month?

hey man, im over 3 months now and im just about back to normal minus a minor spot of numbness in the back of donor area. you should start to feel better day by day but rest assured the tightness will go away eventually but its gradual

How do you know bending your neck and lifting weights will stretch the scar? Has there been any study on this? Do you have a link to any doctor's web site saying this?

It is a pretty big deal not being ablt to lift weights for 3 months.

I am probably getting a second FUT. Does that change anything? They will cut this scar out anyway in the second FUT.

I would just be careful as to what weightlifting exercises you choose to do...if you feel any tension on back of head while performing certain excercise than don't do it. But things like bicep curls, push ups, pull ups, I can't imagine it would stretch a scar that badly. I would consult with your dr fist though

My doc is one of those doc's who say you can do anything after 7 days.

But I know other doc's say to wait much longer.

I feel stretching when I just sit around. ANY weight lifting at all gives it more tension. Yes, even a curl does it. When you do a curl, you stilll tense your neck a little.

• 5 years later...
My doc is one of those doc's who say you can do anything after 7 days.

But I know other doc's say to wait much longer.

I feel stretching when I just sit around. ANY weight lifting at all gives it more tension. Yes, even a curl does it. When you do a curl, you stilll tense your neck a little.

Absolutely! I feel the same. I just sit around with my laptop for most part of the day and I can naturally feel my neck stressed.

Also, the segregation of 'not to do' exercises also don't make sense to me. If a sit up is going to stress my neck and the back of my head, so will a bicep curl. I am observing this from personal experience.

Don't bend your neck and look down and don't lift too heavy weights for several more months, or your scar WILL stretch!

I had to bend my neck the other way (Backwards) for half hour or so for a shoot yesterday. I thought its the opposite motion of stretching and it shouldn't be a problem. But, I could feel the stress while doing it and feel a bit of slight pain today in the unhealed part of the scar. Most of it has healed beautifully.

So, bending back is bad too? Any sort of stress to the neck is bad then?

Anyone can be confident with a full head of hair. But a confident bald man - there's your diamond in the rough.

3444 Strip Grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/187543-1-st-hair-transplant-strip-surgery-dr-radha-rani-complete-dossier.html

My Androgenic Alopecia Scrapbook

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/188027-hair-wars-may-follicles-you.html

Scalp tightness can take quite some time to go away after hair transplant surgery, it really depends on how big of a strip was taken versus your scalp elasticity versus your healing characteristics. For 3 of my 4 hair transplants, it only took two or three months for my scalp to feel normal again however, my third procedure, it took almost a year for it to feel normal again simply because they took a very large strip.

So at the end of the day, it depends on a lot of factors, but I would think that the average would be 3 to 6 months.

Best wishes,

Bill

I just had an FUT earlier this week, but this discussion sounds familiar already. I had some shoulder surgery a few years ago for a large scar revision (actually had 2 procedures). It felt tight for months because even though skin does stretch, it just takes time. There will be some sensation after a while, so as long as it's not painful & it's been a considerable amount of time after the procedure, it's just the body's way of telling you it's stretching. But yah, it feels very weird & can kinda freak you out. I was worried about the head tightness for this week's procedure, but thankfully it's not as bad as I was anticipating. And I just now noticed this was an older question... But maybe this will be helpful for someone else.

2000 FUT with Dr Bernardino Arocha - August 2017

It does indeed take time for the scalp to regain elasticity. And depending how much tissue was removed, the more excised, the longer it takes.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY