Dr. Glenn M. Charles - Twins - Alex and Austin Ford

On June 14, 2012, I performed a hair transplant surgery using our newest technolgy, Robotic Assisted FUE! The ARTAS. The procedure was filmed in our office by NBC News and aired at 5:30 p.m. the same day.

This Procedure was done on twins Alex and Austin. They are 19 years old, and they are both currently Freshmen at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln.

When Alex was 12 years old, he was diagnosed with brain cancer. The type of cancer was called Meduloblastoma which is a malignant form of cancer, located at the back of the brain by his Medulla Oblongata. In 2005 he had the brain tumor removed in surgery. Two weeks after he started 30 rounds of radiation therapy to the tumor site and daily chemotherapy.

He first noticed the hair loss about 5-6 weeks into his radiation chemotherapy treatments and although he did get some hair growth, it never returned to its original state.

It has bothered him ever since, but it has increasingly bothered him as he’s becoming a late teenager and going more into his 20s. As a young child he was always very outgoing and after the treatments and the hair loss he has become much more subdued, introverted, and quiet.

I do not only see this as an opportunity to help a young man out but I was also impressed that Alex’s brother Austin wants to help his brother regain his confidence and self-esteem.

I also have identical twin boys, so I can personally relate to having a medical problem with one of my twin boys. I did this case pro bono and I just wanted to help this family in any way that can. We were also able to get this case approved by ISHRS (Operation Restore Program) who assisted in their travel, food and lodging expenses.

Twin helps cancer-surviving brother return to normalcy, donates hair through surgery

That is great Dr. Charles. Thanks for sharing. I did not know an identical twin could donate hair like that. What a great brother he has and how lucky he was to find you!

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Dr. Charles,

I applaud you for your generosity and compassion. This is s truly uplifting story. I'm also very interested to see how this result turns out given that his brother donated the grafts.

I hope we will get updates on this case. Well done!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

This shows how compassionate of a person Dr. Charles is!!

This is also the first time I've read of a twin to twin hair transplant. This is going to be epic!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Not only a touching story of compassion and generosity, but also exciting news that Dr. Charles has adopted The ARTAS for his practice. I look forward to Dr. Charles posting his ARTAS FUE results and his experience with ARTAS compared to standard hand-held manual or motorized punches.

Dr. Charles, does Alex not have any good donor hair? It's hard to tell from photos I've seen whether his donor area was thinned out also. It's strange that the radiation left him with a NW6 pattern :( The plus side is his twin brother looks to have PLENTY of hair to spare!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Terrific story Dr. C. Your generosity comes loud and clear in this news story but knowing you for as long as I have, its not a surprise. It's also really heartwarming for the twin brother to donate his hair to boost his brother's self confidence and of course the young man who beat cancer. Please keep us posted of this young man's progress.

Unfortunetly, the chemotherapy and radiation that Alex was exposed to during his fight against the cancer left him with very little hair in the donor area. Definitely not enough to have a hair transplant from his own donor area.

Awesome work from Dr. Charles. This story really touched me and I wish Alex all the best. He survived the cancer and got his life back and I am hopeful that he will get his hair back.

Just our of curiosity, can we know how many grafts were implanted and what norwood level alex is in?

Wish the best result for alex