Dr Jennifer Martinick (Australia) ?

Hi everybody,

I am considering having a hair transplant done with Dr Jennifer Martinick of the new hair clinic, I had a consultation there and came out feeling pretty positive about the whole thing. However after doing some research have heard some less than flattering remarks about her.

I am a strong advocate of not believing everything you read/hear, your more likely to write about a bad experience than a good one. I do however if possible want to be fully educated before making this big decision. So anyone who has had this procedure done by her, or knows someone that has would you recommend her?

I am 23 years old and am a Norwood III according to them. This will be to restore the temples and frontal hairline. I am based in Perth where her office is so distance wise this is convenient for me. Any response will be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Like you I am also considering HT with Dr Martinick here in Perth, but during research have come across plenty of negative comments regarding 'some' peoples results. I recall some went as far as referring to butchery at play where Dr.Martinick was involved!

Obviously this concerns me highly and i do question how much i am reading into things. Like you i would love to here some first hand views from people who have been to Dr.Martinick hair clinic in Perth and had a hair transplant?

Bennyt89 please let me know how you go. Personally i have been losing my hair for the past 7 yrs id say.im now 28 and thinking (have been thinking for a long time) ithat i should actually do something about while i still can. My hair loss has of course steadily progressed over the yrs. I now have your equiv of a friar tuck so to put it. Balding on the crown/top of head, Norewood 4. I would look at getting a HT to hopefully restore and thicken the native thinning hair on top of my head. Anyway let me know how you go?

Many thanks

Edited by neek
typo

Hi,

If u want good quality hair transplant and live in Australia you need to travel. In my case I went to DHT Clinic in Bangkok and for my second HT Doctor Radha Rani in India. I live in Perth and I'd be glad tp show my before/after photos to you. Cheers rod

Hi everybody,

I am considering having a hair transplant done with Dr Jennifer Martinick of the new hair clinic, I had a consultation there and came out feeling pretty positive about the whole thing. However after doing some research have heard some less than flattering remarks about her.

I am a strong advocate of not believing everything you read/hear, your more likely to write about a bad experience than a good one. I do however if possible want to be fully educated before making this big decision. So anyone who has had this procedure done by her, or knows someone that has would you recommend her?

I am 23 years old and am a Norwood III according to them. This will be to restore the temples and frontal hairline. I am based in Perth where her office is so distance wise this is convenient for me. Any response will be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Mate I'm from Australia and had a HT performed in Canada about 5 months ago. I absolutely implore you to save your money and buy that plane ticket and have your HT performed by a reputable surgeon in the US or Canada.

There is NO and I repeat, NO quality HT surgeons in Australia at present.

This surgery will be a life changing event, either in a good or bad way. If you get the surgery performed in Australia you will more than likely see it as the latter.

My tip for you is to continue saving your money, do some thorough research (a good year or so) and do not choose a surgeon based on convenience or personality. Choose them solely on results and reputation.

The only 3 surgeons/clinics I even considered to have my HT with were Hasson & Wong (Canada), Dr. Feller (New York) and Dr. Rahal (Canada). I eventually went with Dr. Rahal in Canada and I'm extremely happy with my results. The three aforementioned all have great reputations and have the results to back it up.

Let me state for the record that you have been warned, don't make the mistake many people make of choosing a HT surgeon because it is close proximity or it is cheap. Then they complain they have less than desirable results.

Regards,

DreamBig

Mate I'm from Australia and had a HT performed in Canada about 5 months ago. I absolutely implore you to save your money and buy that plane ticket and have your HT performed by a reputable surgeon in the US or Canada.

There is NO and I repeat, NO quality HT surgeons in Australia at present.

This surgery will be a life changing event, either in a good or bad way. If you get the surgery performed in Australia you will more than likely see it as the latter.

My tip for you is to continue saving your money, do some thorough research (a good year or so) and do not choose a surgeon based on convenience or personality. Choose them solely on results and reputation.

The only 3 surgeons/clinics I even considered to have my HT with were Hasson & Wong (Canada), Dr. Feller (New York) and Dr. Rahal (Canada). I eventually went with Dr. Rahal in Canada and I'm extremely happy with my results. The three aforementioned all have great reputations and have the results to back it up.

Let me state for the record that you have been warned, don't make the mistake many people make of choosing a HT surgeon because it is close proximity or it is cheap. Then they complain they have less than desirable results.

Regards,

DreamBig

Thanks for your response. If you don't mind me asking what is your basis that there is no quality HT surgeons in Australia? Not trying to have a go just curious have you had experience with these surgeons or know someone who has?

What am I looking at costwise roughly if I decide to travel to see one of the above surgeons? Thanks

Benny Boy,

Look mate, please let us save you all the hassle here, I back up dreambig all the way with his assessment of the top few and the bad eggs. Yep the Aussie surgeons seem to talk a great game right, and afterall, why would a fairly industrialised modern country NOT have a kick ass HT master, why why why? Australia has just about everything else after all.

Well we all wonder. I'm a kiwi and had the old style plugs year ago. Then I tried an australian, supposedly the BEST (according to him of course) and it looked even worse. How do you get it look worse than plugs? They're insured the hilt, the whole lot of them, and thats for a reason. He's a butcher and his work just doesnt stack.

The answer to your question could be:

A) its purely a financial decision and there's more to be made by doing things in the 1990's style work,

B) They're lazy old dogs who've done their dash,

C) the ones who do it just aren't that talented (and yes a great HT takes REAL TALENT!),

D) All of the above.

So, to keep with the multi-choice theme.....

You can

A) take our word for it,

B) Go ahead and risk it all on someone with a less than stellar reputation

C) Do alot more research

D) Not get a transplant (better than option B by the way)

The basis upon which people have arrived at the conclusion is that our collective experience and trust of each other has helped us identify those doctors doing both the very best and the very worst work. The old hacks have seen it, done it, heard about it. We have no interest in putting you wrong and the vast majority of us are not involved in the industry making money.

So please, if you're gonna do it, consider meds, do your research, and be prepared to travel. Your bonus is, Perth is closer to the world than the rest of the antipodeans!!

Hi,

I've done a lot of research and the feedback led me to have a hair transplant at DHT Clinic, Bangkok. I agree with the other posts that the very best HT surgeons reside in US/Canada, but there are also many good surgeons worldwide.

If you chose Doctor Pathomvanich I think his rate is $2.80US per graft which I would suggest is substantially cheaper than anyone in Australia. He is also highly recommended surgeon on this forum. My second HT I went to India with Doctor Radha Rani and it was $1US per graft. She is also a recommended surgeon on this forum and at this stage I am 4 months post operation.

I live in Perth and if you want any advice give let me know.

Cheers Rod

benny;

you should feel extremely lucky to have stumbled upon this forum.

I am also from aus and i was a week away from getting a super expensive HT from a highly advertised clinic. However my hours and hours of research on this site led me to Dr. Pathomvanich of Thailand where i had a very successful HT 10 months ago. I had considered Rahal and H&W which incidentally would have been cheaper even than getting a dodgy HT here in aus for the number of grafts i was after. I ended up with Dr. Path as Thailand was closer to home, i absolutely loved his work and that i could not find a single bad review of him, and of course if they were not enough reasons also the big savings which were the icing on the cake. Have a look at my thread in the HT results section for the full story and pics.

As with everyone who posted here, i urge you to go outside australia for an HT.

The above is great advice from these guys. Unless family can help, then often someone under 30 can struggle to afford a HT and ends up with the dodgy surgeons hoping it will all be okay. These guys have often ignored the cautionary advice of others too.

Then, if the result is bad it can be even harder to get it fixed because you MUST then be repaired up by someone who knows what they are doing with tons of experience. This is slower in every respect (you've already wasted 1-5 years, can only handle smaller procedures so can take years to get things done, higher costs due to small procedures and more logistics/travel, grows slower, lower growth survival), and results are then never as good as just going to the best in the first place.

I had my first at 23 and more at 24, NZ doctor, followed by attempt at repair twice by an Australian Dr, with poor results....this then affected my career options. It took until 36, (starting my own company to work fro myself and post paying off an apartment and finding security) before I could afford to be repaired, and I'm 2 surgeries into 3/4 repair procedures! I'm just right now trying to find the next bundle of cash for the next one late this year, trust me you don't need the nightmare.

Hence Benny, Jollyfolly is right to say your are lucky. In Australia, just about the best you can get out of the medical review process is your money back cause if your results suck then that's what the surgeon will offer this to you to make you go away and everyone takes it. But, even that's hard to get because most surgery from Australia looks semi-okay, not real or cool, but it sits up there on your head so you technically aren't bald anymore. But it doesn't do you any favours in the social department and I for one think being bald is a better option that whats on offer in Australia. Yes Trico closure came from an Aussie, and FUE/BHT advancements for those without any donor came from Aussie, but after that, there's not even one surgeon trying to recreate the high standards being achieved by the top 10 clinics in the world. I believe this will change, but, not for a while, (what a massive business opportunity there is for a doctor who want's to put in the hard yards).

Lastly Ben, I'm one of those ones who think you are too young. Consider the meds as an option. Plus the nizoral, msm, vitamins. Do the research and wait until 25 at least. Rodg has gone the more cost effective route and he's a proponent of this, often giving other guys something to think about with the cost effective options he's taken himself. If you want Hasson, Wong, Rahal or Feller, you're gonna need to bide.

Edited by KiwiGuy500

Thanks for your response. If you don't mind me asking what is your basis that there is no quality HT surgeons in Australia? Not trying to have a go just curious have you had experience with these surgeons or know someone who has?

What am I looking at costwise roughly if I decide to travel to see one of the above surgeons? Thanks

It all comes down to research. Look at the Australian surgeons results and then compare them to H&W or Dr. Rahal. They don't even come close to the level or artistry, density and technique of H&W and Dr. Rahal.

Then look through all the comments about H&W, Rahal etc from former patients and I had been researching for a good 2-3 years and was hard pressed to find a bad word written about those two clinics. On the contrary it wasn't hard to find bad comments in regards to the so called 'top' Australian surgeons.

The final cost will of course depend on how many grafts you receive. But from memory I think Dr. Rahal is about $4 or $5 per graft and H & W are about the same. Check their respective websites as they should tell you all you need to know in regard to pricing etc. They both also give a 10% discount to non-Canadians to help with travel expenses. Then you have the price of the return flight which is about $1300-$1500 to the US.

When I had my procedure done I had a 2 week holiday in LA/Vegas before going to Ottawa and having my surgery. Then stayed 3 nights post-op in Ottawa before continuing my holiday in NYC & Washington for another 10 days.

Its true Dream big, you can take the chance for a holiday if you got the coin. I did and I probably will next time too, may as well. But for some it just comes down to having enough to get the basic procedure and younger dudes with hair loss have to try and put the desperation aside and somehow make the best long term decision, and we both know that is a very tough task.

Hi everybody,

Mate , do not even hesitate. dr Martinick changed my life. I was a Norwood IV 18 months ago and now have a completely natural and full hair line and all the thinning through the top has disappeared. She was fantastic as were her staff. I felt absolutely no pain after the operation and within 6 days I was back at work.I got exactly what I was promised and am extremely happy. I now go to a new hair dresser and she has not even picked the hair transplant and has not even noticed the scar at the back of my head. They promised me a thin scar with hair growing through it and that is exactly what I got.

There will always be people trying to be negative about the quality in Austarlia but trust me , like you I did a lot of research and even spoke to surgeons in America and they all said Dr Martinick was fantastic.

Hello Benny

I have actually had a hair transplant from Dr Martinick and trust me she is amazing. My op was 18 months ago and I was in need of a new hair line and crown.I was a Norwood IV and now have a fantastic and completely natural looking hair line with a very full look through the top. I was back at work on day 6 with no pain at all. My scar at the back of my head is so thin that my new hair dresser has not even picked the hair transplant. Hair actually grew through the scar. I like you did a lot of research and even spoke to surgeons in America and they all , without exception, recommended her and said her works was terrific. This has been the best decision I ever made and best $s I have ever spent. Seriously do not hesitate , as the procedure with Dr Martinick will change your life as it did mine. Her staff are also very kind and professional and I strongly recommend Dr Martinick.

Wow thanks for all the responses, much appreciated! Went and saw my doctor today and he gave me a prescription for Finasteride and Minoxidil,so will give that a go.

I'm definately going to do a lot more research, I guess there is a bit of desperation in there to get it done ASAP as it really messes with my confidence more than any other part of my life. But only fools rush in as they say.

Amazing the generalized negativity from the Kiwi guy. So ignorant. Please feel to contact me if you would like to catch up and actually view the results of Dr Martinicks work.More than happy to show you the quality.There are definitely good surgeons in other parts of the world with very good reputations , a lot of who I sent emails to in relation to getting feed back on her quality, but there are also decent surgeons here, such as Dr Martinick and a couple of others who I was also mpressedwith when I did my research.There are also some poor ones as there are in other parts of the world. My recommendation is to speak to or meet with clients of surgeons you are considering and then make a decision.

T

H&W

Rahal

Armani

Feller

Shapiro

Path from Thailand for bang for buck

There's your high percentage list....go with anyone else, and who knows.

Anyone but Armani...

You arent Arny ( I think that it the name) from Hairhelp by chance?

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

gmsmart,

While I appreciate your comments, your post has been removed since it includes confidential content contained within the emails. Since we respect people's rights to privacy, please do not post copies of other people's emails without getting their permission to do so in writing.

Furthermore, while I can't attest to the kind of work Dr. Puig is doing now, today's state of the art hair transplant surgery dramatically different from the procedures performed in the early 90s.

Frankly, I'm also not really sure what Dr. Martinick (president of the ISHRS) can do regarding your complaint about Dr. Puig considering your procedure was performed over 15 years ago and you won't provide her with your indentity and/or surgical details in order to investigate your concerns. Why didn't you file a complaint with the ISHRS back in the 1990s after your results grew in?

Understand that it's standard practice to acquire a patient's identity, contact information and surgical details in order to investigate their concerns. Thus, patients must be willing to privately provide the investigators with their identity, date of surgery, photos and possibly more. Otherwise, how can anyone determine the nature of whether or not a complaint is legitimate?

Furthermore, while this community enables patients to share their genuine experiences and opinions, in the interest of fairness, we also enable physicians and clinics to share their side of the story. In order for physicians to adequately respond to a poster's concerns, the physician/clinic may request and need the patient's information. To see how we handle patient disputes online, visit "Maintaining a Fair and Safe Environment on our Forum for Patients and Physicians".

Ultimately, how you proceed with seeking restitution for a 15 year old procedure you're unhappy with is up to you. However, this community isn't an appropriate venue for sharing confidential emails and badmouthing a physician just because she's not investigating 15 year old concerns from someone who won't provide their information.

If you'd like to discuss this further, please send me a private message or an email to help@hairtransplantnetwork.com rather than posting a reply on the topic.

Best wishes for getting the head of hair you deserve,

Bill

Wow thanks for all the responses, much appreciated! Went and saw my doctor today and he gave me a prescription for Finasteride and Minoxidil,so will give that a go.

I'm definately going to do a lot more research, I guess there is a bit of desperation in there to get it done ASAP as it really messes with my confidence more than any other part of my life. But only fools rush in as they say.

Hey Benny,

I too reside in AUS and I would highly recommend you go and see a HT DR who is recommended on this website. I have done a good 3-4 months research and I believe travelling is the best option! I will be in the usa for 2months beginning 25th june and I will go and visit a few surgeons and let you know.

With regards to propecia and rogaine make sure you purchase the generic brand "finpecia 5mg" which will only cost you 100$ for 4/5 month supply as oppose to 70$ per month for brand name propecia. Also for rogaine go on EBAY and you can purchase 6/7 cans of rogaine for 110-130 US as oppose to 3 cans in australia for 100-120.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi everybody,

Hi there,

I had a very good experience with Dr Jennifer Martinick. I did a fair amount of research before I made a decision and ultimately chose her because she has the experience and a good reputation, plus she is considered one of the leaders in the hair restoration industry.

It depends on what your expectations are I guess. At the end of the day these peoples are doctors not miracle workers. Maybe our expectations are unrealistic at times.

Anyway, each to their own I guess. Like I said, I could not speak highly enough about Dr Martinick in my experience.