I accidentally popped 2 propecia's this morning!!!

MarkyGras

When I woke up today, I walked over to my medicine cabinet and took my daily propecia pill. Then I looked in a cabinet for some claritin, as it's allergy season for me. Then, because I had just woken up, and was still on "auto-pilot", I opened up my propecia bottle and took another! I'd been taking propecia for years, and this was the first time I'd popped two in a day (much less at once).

Maybe it's no big deal, but I need someone to talk me down from this. I have a huge fear that this was the lever to impotence or possibly big-time libido loss. Gahhhhhh!

The difference between 1 mg. and 2 mg. is nothing. It just means the medication will be in your system at a higher level for longer. If you've been on it for four years, your body should be well used to it now.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Ut oh! A common side effect from 2MG's is penile cancer. May your manhood rest in peace.

Of course, I'm only being facetious. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. 5 MG is commonly prescribed. The only downfall I see is that you'll have to get a refill one day sooner now.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Feel free to ask the physician who prescribed it to you.

IMHO, you will be fine. As was mentioned, there are other forms of finasteride at 5mg per tablet for prostrate swelling.

I also believe there are some comments made by the manufacturer Merck that address this in the packaging that came with the bottle.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I take two a day anyways. One in the morning and one at night. 1.25mg per dosage. I'm fine I can get it up have orgasms and sex all the time. I don't play when it comes to hair loss. I plan on doing this for a year until everything stabilizes then taper it down to every other day.

cdog, did your doc recommend this? Just curious...

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

No like many I don't have a prescription. Due to the half life of finasteride, to maximize the effects of DHT suppression I take it every 12 hours. There are others on this board who have had great results doing this. Doctors don't have a crystal ball as to what sides you will have which I feel are overhyped anyways. I monitor my sides which are non-existent If I were to get suppressed I would lower the dosage or stop. The time it takes for results from finasteride is a year so I want to get maximum results during that time frame and then maintain from there.

Edited by jmghair

Marky,

While I really wouldn't feel the need to panic (whatsoever), I would call the prescribing physician and ask for his/her advice. Keep us updated.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

No like many I don't have a prescription. Due to the half life of finasteride, to maximize the effects of DHT suppression I take it every 12 hours. There are others on this board who have had great results doing this. Doctors don't have a crystal ball as to what sides you will have which I feel are overhyped anyways. I monitor my sides which are non-existent If I were to get suppressed I would lower the dosage or stop. The time it takes for results from finasteride is a year so I want to get maximum results during that time frame and then maintain from there.

This is exactly what I did for about a year. Finasteride half life is 4-6 hours. Even though they "claim" results won't be any better by taking it more often, I didn't see it hurting anything either.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Guys, we always want to get the proper diagnosis, prescription, and advice of a licensed physician experienced in treating MPB before starting Propecia. ;)

Gillenator