Supplements for gym that won't effect hair.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew much about any good supplements to use that won't cause hairloss or effect it?. I've been off the gym for a good while now while the scar was healing at the back of my head after a transplant in December. I've heard storys about weightlifting supplements effecting hair and causing hairloss. I'm sure i heard creatine was bad and a few others. Obviously heard about steriods and hairloss but not interested in them. Any suggestions would help out. Thanks Rob.:)

As as few others have stated, I've never seen any convincing evidence linking protein usage and hair loss.

• Like 1

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the replys, i would also like to see more into it and may read up on it to see what other information i can find. I have like a 6 month supply of creatine for training which i am scared to take incase it causes any hairloss, damage, or interferes with the propecia i use. Yes dingdong i had 2000 grafts by fut with Dr Saifi in December 2011, and have nothing but total respect for him, he did an excellent job and is a really nice chap. 4 months after now and i am seing some good results. How did you get on?. There's at least another 4 or 5 members on the forum who have also have been in touch and had good experiences with Dr Saifi.

hi rlc ,i too found dr saifi to be very personable and have faith in his abilities. i am 10 weeks post op and already have some growth . compared to what other ht docs pay there is just no reason to hand over that amount of cash

Hi

I can echo the comments from RLC26 and Dindgong (so Far) I need to wait for the results before I rave too much. Everything was superb before , on the day. Their are also other members I have been in contact with who have been very impressed with their results.

So it appears that there is quality surgeon within easy reach which is afforadable to the average earner.

HT No1 : Nobel clinic, Gatwick 500 grafts - Terrible result, left with bumpy skin

HT No2 : Marwan Saifi 1680 grafts. Great result

HT No3 - Marwan Saifi 1250 grafts. Another good result.

HT No4 - Hakan Doganay 2134 grafts. Result TBA

Total 5134 grafts.

Been using NOW Whey Protein Isolate for the past few years for exercise purposes. Haven't noticed an increase in hair loss during that time. I do take Propecia, however. I've taken it for many years prior to starting Whey and whilst on Whey.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew much about any good supplements to use that won't cause hairloss or effect it?. I've been off the gym for a good while now while the scar was healing at the back of my head after a transplant in December. I've heard storys about weightlifting supplements effecting hair and causing hairloss. I'm sure i heard creatine was bad and a few others. Obviously heard about steriods and hairloss but not interested in them. Any suggestions would help out. Thanks Rob.:)

Hey Mate,

I use Probolic SR a great bio-available source of protein with proper amino acid profile without adverse effects. I have scoured the net and not found any research with supplements and hair loss. Of course this is a big category because there are various types of supplements form vitamins, protein powders, herbs etc...Eating a balanced healthy diet of whole foods with minimum supplementation is most often recommended by doctors.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

zenmunk and michael james thanks for the input. I'm on propecia aswell but i may just take supplements and not overly worry i'll have a look at that Probolic SR. But as you suggested a balanced healthy diet is the best way of going forward. There has been some research gone into this aswell because of the help hair shake i'm on that i had off Dr Saifi, that was made by Dr Shapiro. This is something i have just found. Dr Shapiro’s Help Hair Shake

Basically stay away from anabolic steroids, androstenedione, DHEA, or anything that can raise testosterone or DHT levels.

I've heard the theory on whey protein causing hair loss, but I've seen no proof of it anywhere.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Basically stay away from anabolic steroids, androstenedione, DHEA, or anything that can raise testosterone or DHT levels.

This is it - weight training raises free testosterone!! Doesn't it? I have read studies that prove this!

I always thought that our muscles only get bigger through the chemical messages of hormonal changes, otherwise they would just repair themselves to the same level or size as before the stress of exercise.

So does whey (or creatine etc.) help convert any of that free test into something better than DHT, or does it just help promote the whole test industry in our bodies even indirectly, like by helping us recover quicker so we can get back into gym and create more free testosterone even faster?

Doubtful that Whey Protein raises testosterone.

"Whey is left over when milk coagulates and contains everything that is soluble from milk. It is a 5% solution of lactose in water, with some minerals and lactalbumin. It is removed after cheese is processed. The fat is removed and then is processed for human foods...Whey protein is the collection of globular proteins isolated from whey, a by-product of cheese manufactured from cow's milk." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey_protein

Based on the above description, I venture to say Whey will raise testosterone as much as milk or cheese.

Resistance training can raise testosterone, but according to Dr. Jeffrey Rawnsley, clinical associate professor of facial and plastic surgery at UCLA and director of the Rawnsley Hair Restoration Clinic:

"Testosterone is converted to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which can shrink hair follicles in genetically susceptible individuals. However, because of the extended duration of hair growth cycles (three to five years), it is unlikely that this effect would be seen soon after starting a weight lifting program. In addition, weight lifting causes a transient increase in testosterone after each weight lifting session, which is not likely to have a long term effect on hair loss.

"On the other hand, weight lifters taking anabolic steroids or supplements designed to increase testosterone levels could see an acceleration of normal male pattern hair loss if they are genetically predisposed. In addition, supplements containing too much vitamin A could contribute to hair loss.

"So it is very unlikely that [a] weight lifting program...[contributes] to hair loss. More likely, [one's] hair has been thinning over time and [one is] beginning to notice as a critical level has been reached, usually about 50 percent, according to Rawnsley.

"If [one is] very concerned, [one] may want to consider Propecia, a popular treatment for hair loss, which blocks the formation of DHT and can slow or even reverse hair loss in some cases." - Source

Here's a

by a guy who claims to have extensive experience with Whey. In the video, he debunks claims that Whey causes hair loss and criticizes Dr. Shapiro's shake. Edited by zenmunk

Dr. Jeffrey Rawnsley...

"...because of the extended duration of hair growth cycles (three to five years), it is unlikely that this effect would be seen soon after starting a weight lifting program.:confused:

"So it is very unlikely that [a] weight lifting program...[contributes] to hair loss. :cool:

What did you say doctor???:confused:

Let us nail this doctor down to what he really means!!!!

Testosterone increase after resistance training is 'transient'

Hair growth cycles are 3 - 5 years.

We needn't worry!!! and he adds 'soon after beginning training"

What the....?????:mad: I am seeing red just reading this!!

1) We don't worry soon after starting weight training??

oh..so..after three months?? Three years??? we SHOULD worry!

2) DHT is also transient as many hormones are!!

DHT is so transient you can take a reading at 10am and get an entirely different reading hours later!! We are always told to get our DHT tested in the morning for this reason!!

Basically, if your muscles are getting bigger you are producing more free testosterone. It is that 'transient' difference that is doing the work!!

I'm not saying that this spike in freeT leads to a corresponding spike in DHT, but nothing the good doc says convinces me one iota that resistance training and hairloss is not linked in individuals susceptible to MPB over a long period of time.

Really shoddy if you ask me.

In 2008, newspapers and weightlifting forums were reporting about new research linking hair loss to weight lifting. According to UPI.com, researchers at Rogers Medical Group, a hair-replacement clinic in the United Kingdom, found that increased testosterone levels caused by weight-lifting can lead to balding. According to their research, women who lift weights are prone to hair loss as well.

Causes of Hair Loss

Heredity and genetics is one of the top causes of hair loss in men and women, according to MayoClinic.com. Other causes include inflammation and scarring of the hair follicle, which prevents new hair from growing. An autoimmune disease, such as a thyroid disorder, can cause balding as well as a shock to your system. Emotional or physical distress can cause the hair root to retreat into a resting state. Hairstyles and hair products that stress the hair follicle can damage and scar your follicles.

Hormones

Dr. Robert Bernstein, a professor of dermatology at Columbia University, reports that hair loss is caused by sensitivity to DHT. Testosterone converts to DHT when combined with a certain enzyme, known as 5 alpha reductase. While nutrition has been linked to balding, according to Medical News Today, there is little evidence to prove that lifting weights generates enough testosterone to be responsible for hair loss. - Source

So, there seems to be some conflicting information between the Rogers Medical Group study and the opinions of Doctors Bernstein and Rawnsley. I think it comes down to the amount of evidence currently available. Apparently, there is "little evidence" at this time that weight training causes hair loss. Does anyone have further evidence (beside Rogers Medical Group) that it does?

It also comes down to personal experience. I've been weight training for many years. I'm not a gym rat, but I've been pretty consistent with it over a long period of time. I have not noticed accelerated hair loss. I should point out that I am on Propecia. If I were not, then perhaps the weight training would speed up the process. Then again, it would be quite difficult, if not impossible, to determine if my hair loss would be due solely to genetics or if weight training was a contributing factor. All I can say is while on Propecia I can work out and not lose hair - food for thought.

End of the day, there may be some risk involved, but what in life doesn't have risk? If one is very concerned about the weight training/hair loss connection, and Propecia is not an option or ineffective, then one must decide what's more important - a healthy physique or retaining one's hair.

Edited by zenmunk

Yeah, conflicting information for sure. And to make it worse, there is a socio/cultural agenda too, because it sounds so nasty to say training is BAD for your hair.

But I don't think there is any doubt that testosterone increases after training.

Trusting our beloved Wikipedia where, quote,

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_training increases testosterone levels,[111] however, in older men, that increase can be avoided by protein ingestion"

So maybe Whey can rescue us!! but then again keep your hands off 'it' because

the same wikipedia entry also says masturbation increases testosterone too. So the old folk-tale about whacking off and going bald has a kind of plausibility!!

Nuts, I wont be stopping either.

Edited by scar5