Rogaine Foam - how intensely should you massage it into your scalp?

Ardent

I am unsure what the best way to get your scalp to absorb the most minoxidil is. Just how long should one spend massaging Rogaine foam into their scalp?

Should one take a decent amount of time doing so, which basically leaves the scalp dry afterwards. Or, should one limit the massaging in and thus leave the scalp slightly "wet" and let the foam absorb on its own?

Which way will lead to the most effective level of minoxidil absorption?

Its not an exact science..just rub it in till the white goes away...its easy...try not too make it harder than it is...its easy to get stressed about hair loss, however, don't let rubbing in rogaine foam be one that stresses you out!!lol

Good luck to you!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Good question. I started it two months ago. I used to slap it on, rub it in for a couple of minutes & leave it damp.

A friend of mine spends 15 minutes rubbing it in until it's all gone. He clearly has success with it in his hairline. A lot of hair has grown.

So, now I spend about 10 mins applying it. If I'm in a rush I still spend 5 mins until its dry.

• 2 weeks later...

15 minutes? And here I was thinking 30 seconds was a long time! Wow. I find it hard to believe there would actually be a benefit to rubbing it in for so long - surely the active ingredients would be absorbed long before then...?

I really don't know what to think & this will come down to people saying different things on this subject. All I know is my pal spends 15 mins applying it once then applying it again to the same area. He clearly has a lot of strong hairs that weren't there before. So now I spend more time than I used to before.

5 minutes should do the trick

when you guys say 2-3 minutes or 15 minutes to apply it....are you talking about the whole half-cap of rogaine or just one area??

I apply it on my whole frontal scalp...I part my hair into several sections and apply a dab in each section, rubbing around 1-2 minutes each section.

guys, how long after u apply rogaine foam, can u wash your hair? i am having issues applying at night. skin breaks out if i apply and go to sleep. i wanna apply it in the morning before i go to work, get to work in about hour and half, and then wash my hair. is that no good?

Paris

guys, how long after u apply rogaine foam, can u wash your hair? i am having issues applying at night. skin breaks out if i apply and go to sleep. i wanna apply it in the morning before i go to work, get to work in about hour and half, and then wash my hair. is that no good?

Paris

4 hours per the instructions:(

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

All you need to do is squirt the Rogaine foam to 3 different areas on the scalp. Right behind the right temple, right behind the left temple, and in the crown. Then massage it evenly into the scalp for about 30 seconds and let it dry in natural. Not really much of a science to it, then hope that you are in the the 40% that it works for. It has been proven to be more effect in the crown. Take good pictures of the scalp and retake pictures every 6 months and if it looks the same or better it is working for you.

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

• 10 years later...

This is what a representative at Rogaine responded with when asked this question:

Additionally, our products are intended and tested to be used on how it is directed on the label for best results. We do not have a specific time on how long you need to massage the scalp, but a gentle massage is necessary to help the product be absorbed into the skin. However, for off-the-label use of the product, we highly recommend consulting your family dermatologist first for further assistance.

• Like 1